dave quam

As far as Miami goes though, people will definitely start paying attention to this guy, who has been a legend for years down there.

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

Aww Nein

Wild Palms
14 tracks appears to be a Boomkat (online record store) offshoot project where they bundle mp3s around a theme and sell them, with a blurb and such...

thought Anti-G/Bubbling is gonna be the next juke (hype wise)

tenuously related, but anyone heard the new zomby tracks? dunno where to put them, as theres not a 200bpm wonkcore thread on here yet... definitly a juke influence in the retriggered samples on a couple of tracks (amongst the junglish stabs and breakbeats)

theyre on the FACT site...

alex

Do not read this.
Read that DJ Slugo interview on your blog Dave, nice stuff, interesting to see how I’ve only really heard anyone (European) describe juke as stuff at 160bpm, anything around 130-135bpm is just described as house. Very interesting to see his thoughts, as I don’t think I’ve read an interview by any of the dance mania artist’s before.

dave quam

if bubbling got really hyped, I would be psyched. Anti-G is rad, but from what I understand he doesn't really play out much in the NLs, and I don't even know if he still makes bubbling? A lot of his stuff sounds like grime to me. Straight up bubbling has kind of died out in the NLs and it's mostly Dutch House being played at the big parties out there, but it still goes down. I've posted some recent party videos from parties with a bunch of Surinamese kids goin wild to bubbling. De Schuurman is probably my favorite newer dude, and I have been talking to him about releasing some stuff in the near future.

dave quam

I did that Slugo interview ALONG time ago, I kinda hate that one haha. Still good to get some words from him. Expect more interviews soon.

Aww Nein

Wild Palms
Anti G put this up on soundcloud about a month ago

http://soundcloud.com/kentjje

i dunno much of what defines bubbling, as anti-g is pretty much my entry point into the scene, but this has a really nice swagger to it... most grime mcs would get pretty confused by it i think :)

could you link to some more classic bubbling dave? would love to hear the gensis of that sound (sorry to derail the thread)

dave quam

oh cool he still makes shit. The guys I talk to went to school with the dude and just tell me he never djs anywhere, that is all I know. A lot of his beats kinda remind be of grime, but I couldn't really hear anyone rapping over them. Just less housey. Dude has some crazy synths no doubt.

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

DJ Moortje invented the genre, and this is s battle style bubbling track, which is almost like their version of footwork battles. It doesn't seem to be so popular anymore, and it was totally a 90s battle dj/pop and lock sorta thing. Definitely could still be happening, but my sources tell me it's pretty dead these days. I've mentioned the word bubbling to a few people out in NLs and they kinda laughed at me like "dude that is some 90s shit we grew up with that we used to grind up on girls to when we were in 8th grade"

DJ Chippie and DJ Memmie were two of the originators as well. Just search Youtube for their names. The classic stuff has a lot more to do with old dancehall, but half and double timed, with different drums (same drums as today for the most part). I've posted tons of tracks both new and old on zee blog as well (http://davequam.wordpress.com/category/bubbling/)

There was a bubbling thread on here but it didn't really go anywhere, maybe we should bring that back?

AZIZA

dis-chi-townz-finest-beaches-artwork.jpg

http://dismagazine.com/disco/mixes/14107/chi-townz-finest-beaches/

DJ Manny – Aw Shyt
DJ Manny – Take Off
DJ Earl – Circuit Breaker
DJ SPINN – Good Good Shit
DJ Rashad – Tekkz DJ
Gant-Man – Footworkin’ Orchestra
DJ Manny – Bob Dat Neck
DJ Manny – Funky Worm
Traxman – Da Comeback
DJ Manny – Got That Kush
DJ Earl – Lie
DJ Rashad – Animation
DJ Rashad – Reverb
Traxman – Maniacal Laughter
DJ Clent – 3rd Wurle
Arpebu – Off Da Hook
DJ Spinn – Studio

Aww Nein

Wild Palms
nice mix man

dis-chi-townz-finest-beaches-artwork.jpg

http://dismagazine.com/disco/mixes/14107/chi-townz-finest-beaches/

DJ Manny – Aw Shyt
DJ Manny – Take Off
DJ Earl – Circuit Breaker
DJ SPINN – Good Good Shit
DJ Rashad – Tekkz DJ
Gant-Man – Footworkin’ Orchestra
DJ Manny – Bob Dat Neck
DJ Manny – Funky Worm
Traxman – Da Comeback
DJ Manny – Got That Kush
DJ Earl – Lie
DJ Rashad – Animation
DJ Rashad – Reverb
Traxman – Maniacal Laughter
DJ Clent – 3rd Wurle
Arpebu – Off Da Hook
DJ Spinn – Studio

alex

Do not read this.
Shame on me!, I recognise that ‘aww shit here I come’ aswell :-(
My digital crate digging game is low recently, have been buying a lot more old vinyl. The new Chrissy Murderbot EP on Mu is really good too, fresh sounds.

AZIZA

Shame on me!, I recognise that ‘aww shit here I come’ aswell :-(
My digital crate digging game is low recently, have been buying a lot more old vinyl. The new Chrissy Murderbot EP on Mu is really good too, fresh sounds.

zzzz

Last edited:

alex

Do not read this.
Excuse my ignorance for not flying to Chicago to pick up one of these obscure tapes from Rashad’s boot, but I just got the promo sent to my inbox, I’m sure if I heard the original I would be giving it the same level of praise.