nnazem

Some questions

I'm just wondering if any of you all could explain to me what you guys see in some of these artists? I don't mean that to be offensive in the lightest, I'm simply stunned at your choices of artists.

There's just so many people out here, such as RP Boo, DJ Tre, DJ T-Rell, ol school DJ Clent, and Traxman who are just geniuses at what they do, and I can't believe they're unknown outside of Chicago.

Would any of you all be able to tell me how you found these individuals, and what in their music you like the most?

Damien

i first heard DJ Elmoe and DJ Nate through a friend showing me the imeem sites. I really like how under-produced and viceral the tracks are, also I had never heard anything like it at the time.

I must admit to not owning anything by the artists you mention, apart from DJ Clent, I have 'Fly through the sky' which is amazing

stephenk

well some of those guys you mentioned have been talked about in the thread - rp boo, clent, traxman. but it might be mislabeling to call it the all-encompassing juke thread, even if that's what it turned out to be - the first post was interested in the "abstract, dark and fucked up version of juke." i think the offbeat, broken stuff is more appealing to people coming from dubstep/idm/whatever backgrounds; i love dance mania/more traditional juke but i'm not a dj nor can i listen to most of those records all day, too loopy.
plus, for me it was fascinating to go onto imeem and have no idea who most of the artists were, and just clicking through playlists all day choosing the tracks that i liked based simply on hearing them. it's (sadly) rare that i check anything that doesn't have a big description or reputation attached to it these days.

Ory

warp drive
I'm just wondering if any of you all could explain to me what you guys see in some of these artists? I don't mean that to be offensive in the lightest, I'm simply stunned at your choices of artists.

for us at dissensus I believe jungle is the common reference point. it's not hard to see the similarities: pitched drums/soul samples, lo-fi production, utter disregard for musical convention...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
even more so 'ardkore, i think, especially with respect to completely reappropriating samples that would otherwise be considered 'cheesy' (Acen's Trip to the Moon with its John Barry sample vs the juke song that samples Evanescence)

grizzleb

Just been listening to that Girl Unit thing on Night Slugs. Sounds alright innit, but I dunno how much I like the juke sound being watered down and reappropriated to become the hip thing in london for six months. Which I could see happening. One of the things I like about this is the fact it's really localised and you can only get tracks on IMEEM, whatever.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Just been listening to that Girl Unit thing on Night Slugs. Sounds alright innit, but I dunno how much I like the juke sound being watered down and reappropriated to become the hip thing in london for six months. Which I could see happening. One of the things I like about this is the fact it's really localised and you can only get tracks on IMEEM, whatever.

oh god, is it going to be the new Baltimore, the new kudoro? Fuck hipsters, this music is worth more than that...

Ory

warp drive
definitely would like to see more of the homegrown chicago stuff get released before the hype-blogs get hold of it.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound

There's just so many people out here, such as RP Boo, DJ Tre, DJ T-Rell, ol school DJ Clent, and Traxman who are just geniuses at what they do, and I can't believe they're unknown outside of Chicago.

Would any of you all be able to tell me how you found these individuals, and what in their music you like the most?

RP Boo is badness : Eraser is one of my all time favourites, and DJ Trax is pretty hot as well.

I think the way all of us came to juke was by flipping through people's tracklists on imeem, so you'll have to bear with us on a certain randomness and ignorance with regard to what we've heard. We haven't hardly been able to get hold of any mixtapes so it's kinda just been swapping stuff on here; it's kinda like if you locked your kids in a cellar, they'd grow up speaking a weird language.

Because we never saw a genesis of this stuff, it was tracks which stood out as weirder or bleaker than the others which certainly pricked up my ears, and then I followed those. This is also maybe a London or Dissensus thing, trying to find more and more 'out there' musics. So on this thread you're kinda seeing, live, people finding their way through a musical culture without having anyone else to speak to about it, hence I think we've all probably got a slightly skewed view of it. You're certainly the first person from Chicago I've spoken to/read about it.

stephenk

agree

franz

i'm not too too taken with the Girl Unit stuff, but i have no problem at all with UK types dabbling with the sound. I have yet to hear an example that i would confuse with Juke proper, and i am pretty grateful for that.

if you take Addison Groove for example--it's pretty slow relative to a lot of what the young Juke producers are doing, and in fact it really sounds like a logical extension of what he was already doing as Headhunter. Just take a track like In Motion and drive it a bit faster and your really not far off.
For another more obvious, and maybe less satisfying example of kinship, think of when the bass beats start to double at the end of Circling from Appleblim and Peverelist. Or 2562's Enforcers. There's no reason for the sounds not to influence each other, because similar elements are in play, imho. and in the case of Addison Groove, i wouldn't speak of it as being watered down... just different.

anyway, i was just about to moan that those Elmoe tracks were spotted at the beginning of this thread, and that i was worried that maybe he had stopped producing or something, becos' since then there hadn't been a sniff... and believe me i was looking hard for a while there... but lo and behold i went to check today and he has a new myspace page with a bunch of new beats!

http://www.myspace.com/ielmoe

stephenk

the dabbling doesn't really bother me - it's more the false advertising as juke...like what happened with baltimore club via hollertronix, where the signifiers remain but in a more clean, populist club friendly format. and the original guys who don't want to sacrifice their rawness don't get to cash in. it's probably too early to speculate much about this kind of shady appropriation, but plundering of vital inner-city genres has happened before - i want to see all of the chicago guys get their dues first.

jimitheexploder

01_-_dj_elmoe_-_werkin_in_da_circle_-_whea_yo_ghost_at_whea_yo_dead_man.mp3 - 5.66MB

17_-_dj_elmoe_-_werkin_in_da_circle_-_dragon_bangz.mp3 - 11.97MB

19_-_dj_elmoe_-_werkin_in_da_circle_-_jazz_werks.mp3 - 4.77MB

he has a tendency to be deeper and spacier than others... kind of a cross between larry heard and j dilla in my *-addled mind... mileage may vary but enjoy the taste

These tracks are something else. I've heard one or two on youtube I think.

I'd be up for those rips too drilla, that would be amazing :D

dave quam

juke

yeah, I would say that Girl Unit using SOME elements of juke for his music is a bit less 'watering things down" than someone making a track called "Footcrab", which has more similarities to Waxmaster's "Footwork" than GU tracks have to anything from Chicago. I love Girl Unit and I like Footcrab too and neither of them really strike me as fucking anything up. Can we also say anybody making funky is just "watering down" Caribbean music? I don't find that to be a very productive conversation (nor do I think that's true). There's nothing wrong with being influenced by elements from the music if you do something appropriate with it. A different situation maybe but the ghetto house guys didn't just invent their sound out of thin air, and I'm willing to bet money they wouldn't me mad at anybody giving them props.

BBU on the other hand is much more to worry about.

nnazem

the dabbling doesn't really bother me - it's more the false advertising as juke...like what happened with baltimore club via hollertronix, where the signifiers remain but in a more clean, populist club friendly format. and the original guys who don't want to sacrifice their rawness don't get to cash in. it's probably too early to speculate much about this kind of shady appropriation, but plundering of vital inner-city genres has happened before - i want to see all of the chicago guys get their dues first.

Wow man, you guys worry about the same shit we do!! haha. but seriously, that is one of our biggest concerns as of this point. We don't wan to be angry one day because some fake ass kids "reppin" juke try to be on TV and claim they are from Chicago, and can tell you about everything juke. That's currently happening, but I don't think these people are going anywhere.

And another concern is that it'll become popular for a short period of time, and then fade away, like Bmore. I gotta admit though, even after the fad of Bmore, I still love that shit, and talk to DJ Tameil and DJ sega on the regular. They're actually tourin with us for a bit while we're out in the UK!

But with the whole juke being taken by those who know nothing of it, believe you me, we're not gonna just be left in the dust. In fact, bok Bok is doing a show with them in Paris, Rashad may be doin an event with the Night Slugs folk, and a lot of things are in the works with Headhunter for Spinn N Rashad. Murderbot is our guy, and he's the main reason why a few guys in the UK have gotten into the juke/footwork stuff, and will probably be the reason why Spinn N Rashad will be working with folk in the UK.

So trust me people, we're already building shit up so that the guys who get rich off of it will be us as well as people like Girl Unit, and Headhunter.

On that headhunter track, we all know the reason his track is called footcrab is because he's not fully knowledgeable about the Chicago scene, but I'm not gonna hold it against him for still makin a pretty hot track. Honestly, the main reason why we, me, spinn & rashad like it is because it takes our style, and does something different with it. Now if he were to go around and claim that was juke, he'd have my flyin to Bristol for a word or two. But really, he's usin the style, and he's totally tweakin it to fit his own style, something most DJ's out here don't even try. Our biggest problem out here is simply no one wants to try and do anything new with the sound, they just sit around, make some of the same repetitive shit, they don't wanna put any work into their sounds, or they just wanna sound like everyone else. Headhunter & Girl Unit is a fuckin breath of fresh air for us!

While I can't stand here and say someone would ever footwork to either track, at least its not someone trying to make a footwork track in Estonia, and whose exposure to the footwork scene is nothing but the shittiest tracks that no one out here even listens to. I'm not even talking about anyone on this board, but we get facebook tags on crap like that all the time. For us, it's awesome to hear how someone was able to use our style, and make it fit in other awesome ways.

As to whether footwork tracks will become the next Bmore, or Kuduro, probably highly unlikely. Footwork tracks are not easily made on Ableton, or any system, and I really can't imagine many people trying to listen to it. As to juke, that shit is too fast to be blended in, so it'll probably either be juk-a-holics anonymous, which are most dj's out here in Chicago dj's! What I mean by juk-a-holics anonymous is the dj's who love the stuff, but refuse to play it at gigs, or even give shout outs to the juke dj's. Trust me, there's a shitload of em.

And basically, one of our points while we're out in the UK is to blend the whole UK funky scene and juke/footwork scene together, and try to create something new. We're planning on working close with a lot of the main artists out there to make sure that everyone has their place in this scene if it is to blow up. And we're really going to try our best to cement the ground now so that we won't have an ordeal where dubstep heads fight between awesome beats and wah-wah music.

But really, no matter how big this music blows, I'll make sure that Spinn, Rashad, and whoever else blows the fuck up still does footworkin events for free, or at no charge. The money will come and go, but the real hot tracks are here to stay.

In the music industry, you do everything for either the money, the publicity, or the love. NEVER FORGET THE LOVEEEEE

nnazem

And yeah dave, i don't think anyone in here thinks BBU incorporates juke into any of their music. If you guys did, you're naive fools! FOOLS I SAY!!!!

4linehaiku

Repetitive
They're actually tourin with us for a bit while we're out in the UK!

Any more details on this? Who / when / where / etc? Would love to catch some of this stuff in a club.

I'd never heard of BBU so I youtubed them, don't think anyone is going to mistake that for Juke!

Also, check your PMs here, I sent you a message about your site.

Alex bk-bk

lower end spasm
hi

i dont really weigh in on here often but i just had to stop by and say that if those of you who wanna start throwing around the "fuck hipsters" comments and accuse us of jumping on some bandwaggon then you've obviously been in the dark about what we've been doing for years. those of you from the uk who just discovered this shit and are now in trepidation about its authenticity, for your information we've been collecting / playing / loving this style of music for many years and nothing has changed appart from the rest of you have caught up.
Whatever you think of the girl unit tracks, he made some original tracks using some 808 samples. Nobody in our camp ever called it juke. Why would it be juke when its built at 135 bpm? its upfront music from London so clearly its not juke. Nobody, at least nobody in Night Slugs, is watering anything down or trying to start some new trend, we're just doing what we love and feel is right with our music, so allow the knee-jerks

thanks

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Nnazem - are footwork and juke different genres? I though juke was the music and footwork was the dancing