wise

bare BARE BONES
I don't think anyone's having a pop at Nightslugs or accusing you of being bandwagon jumpers.
From my point of view the only worry is people referring to tracks like Footcrab as Juke tracks (which has happened already in the Dubstep thread) rather than Juke influenced, thereby possbily missing out on hearing and appreciating actual Juke

Girl Unit does have a 160bpm Juke track on his mix here by the way

lilg

i just want to weigh again.

first off.

nightslugs are not trendhopping or whatever.
those kids have been on to a lot of this stuff for a while.

girl unit isn't juke but juke inspired. same with the addison groove.
there's nothing wrong with it at all.
nothing wrong with taking elements of the genre and incorporating them into your own productions.

especially when it comes to footwork. some of the tom syncopation and the sub bass is very inspirational.

let's face it. we're all pretty much tourists when it comes the footwork genre.
save for dave quam. i'm pretty sure none of us have been to a footwork event in chicago. the birthplace of this stuff.

i lived in chicago a little more than 6 years.

have seen different stages of juke becoming or trying to reach beyond regional popularity.

anyone remember that "my block" report on MTV?

lilg

Nnazem - are footwork and juke different genres? I though juke was the music and footwork was the dancing

i'm not nnazem but juke and footwork are the same genre. but footwork is a sub genre off of juke. take this example. juke is metal and foot work is black metal.
footwork is a bit more mental. and it's made specifically for footworkin competitions.
but you footwork to both.

juke came first and footwork is spawned from it.

nnazem

Muwahahahaha

Bok Bok, I love the shit outta you man! Muwahahahahahaha. I know you probably weren't even talkin to me, but at least you got a chance to see that we actually love the fuck outta the girl unit track. In reality, I don't think anyone on here is worried about nightslugs or headhunter doing anything with the tracks, I think we're all just worried about suburban kids from Connecticut hearing it, being inspired, and turning juke into the next wah-wah sounding bulshit that, and having 5 weak as fuck hollertronix records off of it. I know you work with Mad Decent, so you can't comment on my Hollertronix comment, but I don't! DIPLO IS WEAK AS FUCK, AND DESTROYS EVERY GENRE OF MUSIC!!!!! In reality, we consider Night Slugs our fuckin UK Brothers from ugly mothers, muwahahaha. I can clearly hear the Girl Unit track, and say I'm fuckin blown away as to what you guys were able to do with certain principles of our genre. I even tell you this shit in my e-mails son!

Now all the peanut butter jelly lovin I have for Bok Bok aside, here's the main problems with talkin about juke and footwork, and trying to claim they are different, or the same.

Since the early days of ghetto house, DJ PJ, DJ Deeon, DJ Slugo, etc, there have been footworkers. Footwork groups such as the House-O-Matics, U Phi U, Gutter Thugs, and Wolf Pac have about 20 tracks to their names by every artist I just listed above. Footworking as a dance has existed as long as women were scrubbin the ground to this music. The music itself just got faster, more bass heavy, more reliant on the crazy ass tom patterns, and became a bit simpler.

Now the problem with saying that they are two different genres of music is simply the fact that besides the differences in their snare and kick patterns, they often times sample, pattern, and even use the instruments the same way. Whenever there's a new style of doing tracks in say, the "juke genre", you'll hear the exact same things happenin in the "footwork genre". Additionally, there are still a shitload of juke tracks that you would classify as juke that people footwork too all the time. Clent is a master of having tracks that can be used for both jukin, and footworkin parties.
here's an example:

When most people think of juke, they think of claps on the 2 and 4, simple tom lines, and hilarious hooks. Basically, tracks that either speak the idea to shake that ass, party your ass off, and don't give a fuck. Really, the tracks often times have the attitude of, "FUCK THE WORLD! I'M SHAKIN MY DICK IN THE AIRRRRR! IT'S PARTY TIME!!!" "Traditional" juke is nothing more than just sped up booty house, except a wee bit more ghetto. Here's some classic juke tracks:

Now, what most of you, from what I have seen on this page, have been commenting on are footwork tracks. These are the ones that have crazy ass sample patterns, often times only use claps, kicks, or snares on just the 4th beat, and are often more spacey. I will admit that the tracks sound completely different when I first heard them. However, once you go into the production of the tracks, and hang around the dancers, producers, and the parties for damn near 9 months, you'll start seein these things as the same. I say 9 months because that's how long it's taken me to realize the similarities between the tracks...and to this day, I'm still understanding more and more of this music! Believe me, I'm not an expert, I'm just probably the foremost expert outside of the black community, haha.

But really, the way they cut up the music, the use of the toms, and the patterns of their tracks are often are interchangeable, simply because the people who make juke tracks are the same people who make footwork tracks. They often times interchange what they use in either genre, and make music.

This is in not me saying that the two are exclusive, or saying that they're the same. This is me posing the arguments on both sides of the fence.

I would probably claim that lilg has the closest correct answer. However, there are numerous times when the difference between a song being footwork, and being a juke track is simply the atmosphere you're in.

oh yeah, and to clarify, footwork is a dance, but can also be used to refer to the music played at footwork parties, hence footwork tracks.

PEACE OUT PEOPLE!

continuum

smugpolice
hope this hasn't been posted already

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

nnazem

oh my god

yeah man, that you know i do track by rashad & clever is one of my all-time favorite rashad tracks!!!

however, the main reason i wanted to comment is to clarify a statement i said earlier about hipsters, and girl unit, and headhunter. I'm pretty sure it was clear in my post when talking about the music being a fad that we were more than happy to work with Night Slugs, and Headhunter. However, after reading over what I wrote, which is usually filled with grammatical errors, I want to make sure its clear what I wrote didn't infer anything I didn't want it to. This is the quote:

But with the whole juke being taken by those who know nothing of it, believe you me, we're not gonna just be left in the dust.

When I wrote this, I wasn't talkin about Night Slugs, Headhunter, or anyone at this point in time who messes with the music. I meant more along the lines of people like Crookers, or Hollertronix suddenly using the sound who'd try to get rich off the sound, and probably forget about everyone else. To set the record straight, we don't think that the Night Slugs crew or Headhunter are trying to appropriate Footwork tracks. Like I said before, we're fuckin ecstatic that its the night slugs crew, and headhunter who are taking juke/footwork music into the UK spotlight. Honestly, we love what they make, and wouldn't be willing to work with them had we not thought that something good can come out by working with these people. This is not me saying that we had any influence at all in their tracks, but with future projects in sight, we really couldn't imagine better people to work with.

For us, its more of an honor than anything else to have our music, in particular our footwork tracks, something which so many people put at having absolutely no value whatsoever, as inspiring to who we consider the kings of the UK. I don't listen to Caspa, Rusko, Diplo, blah blah blah, I listen to Headhunter. And the whole Night Slugs crew gives us reason to get the fuck outta the US, and possibly move to the UK long term, no bulshit!

So yeah people, I know I don't have the best writing in the world, but I hope it's clear by now that we here in Chicago have nothing but faith that juke/footwork will be seen as actual music, not as some lame 6 month hipster fad, devoid of all it's cultural heritage, and are happy to see the people who've chosen to take up the music in the UK are the people we get a lot of inspiration from ourselves.

PEACE GOD DAMN ITTTTTTTTT

And as of early 2009, this is how most footwork tracks have been assembled:

Last edited:

dave quam

ffootowrkss

Oh I'm sort of a tourist, but mr nazzeemm is the reason I've actually seen footworkers doin the damn thing to Rashad and Spinn in a weird southside warehouse. He is the man.

I originally got into footwork music from playing basketball with a bunch of 15-16 year old kids 3 years ago in my old neighborhood who would start werkin whenever the ball went out of bounds. A quick footwork break. I eventually got to talking to them like "wtf" are you doing dude?". I had been into dance mania stuff at the time but thats when I started looking at the 15 year old bent youtube video stuff. Strangely enough I got into juke/ghetto house by hearing it blaring out of car windows and asking kids "wtf is that weird house music?"

drilla

whoever is putting together the dj nate comp on planet mu, you should include Below Zero (it's a cold world sample).... whatever that track is.

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
Think this video got posted up before, but what is the track that's playing? In the comments someone says it's Last Winter by DJ Rashad, but I couldn't find this track.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>