320 Mp3 vs. Wav vs. FLAC

ether

I know you can use toast to convert flac to wav for all mac users out there

Regarding the mp3 compression thing, you can really notice it with certain types of music, we did a load of podcasts a while back and we noticed, that drum and bass really suffered, when compressed, something to do with all the tinny high end frequencies, all the amens sounded awful.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Another question: has any digital DJs out there actually made use of tunes bought from iTunes?

They come in this fucked m4p format I've noticed, and you can't play them on Serato directly like that. Though you can burn them to a CD right? So in theory, you could play them on CDJs?

Is there a way of encoding them to mp3 or Wav or whatever and retaining a 320kbps bitrate (that is, if iTunes files are actually that bitrate to begin with?)?

claphands

Poorly-known member
I prefer v0 (the highest vbr preset in lame) over 320 actually.

Why? v0 is the best lossy bang for your buck: best quality with smallest size. also, v0 is encoded with Lame, which is a higher quality encoder than fhg. A v0 mp3 could sound better than a 320 fhg.

I guess if you play them over a good sound system you could maybe hear the difference between the three.