The 'Haunt' project, EMF and the APRU

jambo

slip inside my schlafsack
Recent research has suggested that a number of environmental factors may be associated with a tendency for susceptible individuals to report mildly anomalous sensations typically associated with “haunted” locations, including a sense of presence, feeling dizzy, inexplicable smells, and so on. Factors that may be associated with such sensations include fluctuations in the electromagnetic field (EMF) and the presence of infrasound. A review of such work is presented, followed by the results of the “Haunt” project in which an attempt was made to construct an artificial “haunted” room by systematically varying such environmental factors. Participants (N=79) were required to spend 50min in a specially constructed chamber, within which they were exposed to infrasound, complex EMFs, both or neither. They were informed in advance that during this period they might experience anomalous sensations and asked to record on a floor plan their location at the time of occurrence of any such sensations, along with a note of the time of occurrence and a brief description of the sensation. Upon completing the session in the experimental chamber, they were asked to complete three questionnaires.

http://dailygrail.com/news/the-haunt-project
http://www.goldsmiths.ac.uk/apru/
http://www.cortexjournal.net/article/S0010-9452(08)00129-9/abstract

cylon_pumpkin.jpg

jambo

slip inside my schlafsack
I thought I'd leave the puns to someone else ;)

The research itself seems to be a bit of a damp squib though, basically I don't think much happened.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag

If those Goldsmiths researchers didn't want to skew their results, they should have controlled for the placebo effect/suggestion by NOT telling people they might experience weird sensations.

They should have just said "write down any thoughts or sensations you've experienced once every x number of minutes, including when/where you experienced them"

zhao

there are no accidents
fluctuations in the electromagnetic field (EMF) and the presence of infrasound.

if methods such as this were effective in producing real goosebumps it might be pretty cool at certain dubstep nights me thinks

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
i'm not sure if it's the right approach to isolate a space and say everything within certain parameters is haunted. i think benjamin said it was the spaces between point a and point b (in the modern city at least) that were haunted (with the aura of the reified object). ofc his model for this was the flaneur in the open marketplace, or window shopping, or viewing advertisements.

my guess is that it's connected to fluctuations in the EM field. Also a change in pressure can create dizziness and phantom sensations in the skin etc. or it could be disconnected from the environment altogether and have something to do with psychic energy or deep-reptile brain sensory-intuition.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
i took part in an experiment by a guy called usman haque a few years ago called 'project haunt' which was exactly the same, and also had a placebo and a long written test afterwards about beliefs etc
http://www.haque.co.uk/haunt.php

that's my writing in the two left hand side columns on the centre of that page.

this sounds exactly the same but not quite as good, it was in his mums near finsbury park mosque.

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
anyone here heard of/taken part in the Radiator festival? A friend and I are submitting a psychogeography project - never been to Nottingham. I want to incorporate something like this in the performance installation, manipulating people at a deep-brain level etc. The power of suggestion alone has occult implications. From what I underststand hypnosis is essentially about getting a person in a suggestible state (alpha brain waves) and then controlling their thought patterns. How else did Aleister Crowley bilk all those society women out of their inheritances? ; )

i agree with zhao, this should be incorporated into a performance setting, or as part of a general spectacle or game. very interesting.

mms

sometimes
anyone here heard of/taken part in the Radiator festival? A friend and I are submitting a psychogeography project - never been to Nottingham. I want to incorporate something like this in the performance installation, manipulating people at a deep-brain level etc. The power of suggestion alone has occult implications. From what I underststand hypnosis is essentially about getting a person in a suggestible state (alpha brain waves) and then controlling their thought patterns. How else did Aleister Crowley bilk all those society women out of their inheritances? ; )

i agree with zhao, this should be incorporated into a performance setting, or as part of a general spectacle or game. very interesting.

i think that working towards a performance setting etc is part of the plan, if you check some of the other work the guy does.