Apparently Barack "isn't black"

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
yeah which explains stuff like the one drop rule.

yeah he's not any less black, you're right i wasn't trying to argue anything like that, but it wasn't until the 2000 censuss that american people could identify their background as coming from more than one place

'There remain many circumstances in which biracial individuals are left with no real response when asked for demographic data. But multiracial people won a victory of sorts after years of effort when in 1997, the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) changed the federal regulation of racial categories to permit multiple responses, resulting in a new format for the 2000 United States Census, which allowed participants to select more than one of the six available categories, which were, in brief: "White," "Black or African American," "Asian," "American Indian or Alaskan Native," "Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander," and "Other." Further details are given in the article: Race (U.S. census). The OMB made its directive mandatory for all government forms by 2003.'

Yeah, I know, I was responding to people further upthread when I said people are considered mixed now. The census categories are a perfect example of how stupid the idea that "races" exist is.

nomadthethird

But also if you look at the portrayal of women in the media there is definitely an issue around lightness of skin and beauty, I think? In european countries but also something I noticed in Brazil.

A bunch of people in the soc dept at my college wrote papers about this in the early 2000s. Lightness is definitely prized among african-american females and seen as more "feminine", while darker skin is considered more masculine.

It's easy to see if you take a quick look at female actresses and performers and compare them to male atheletes, actors, performers, etc.

jambo

slip inside my schlafsack
For goodness sake what?
nomadthesecond said:
Race exists--as a social construct.

As a biological fact it's non-existent, except in the minds of racists, who believe that there's some kind of "species within a species" heirarchy of human genetics.

Racism is always racism, no matter how good a racist's intentions may be.
Would you say that Obama is mixed-social construct then?

The point was not that I have never heard of people being of mixed ethnicity (what???) but that it is curious for the politically correct arbiters of 'preferred nomenclature' to stand against the notion of race as being inherently racist on the one hand but to approve the use of terms like 'mixed-race' and 'multi-racial' on the other.

nomadthethird

Would you say that Obama is mixed-social construct then?

The point was not that I have never heard of people being of mixed ethnicity (what???) but that it is curious for the politically correct arbiters of 'preferred nomenclature' to stand against the notion of race as being inherently racist on the one hand but to approve the use of terms like 'mixed-race' and 'multi-racial' on the other.

Uhh when did I say I approved of them? I said they were preferred in the U.S.

There are tons of things here that are preferred that I think are flat out wrong.

gumdrops

Barack being mixed is a great asset in a country where whites will be the minority by 2050.

do figures like this really increase by the same proportion annually though? also, im not sure i really like the way these stats for the US' ethnic makeup (usually with some fear-instilling agenda) are divided into 'whites' and then everyone else. plus 46% of the population isnt quite a minority. whites will still be the racial majority. its only when you group it into (all) non-whites and whites as the polar opposite that it seems that way.

jambo

nomadthesecond said:
Uhh when did I say I approved of them? I said they were preferred in the U.S.
I said PC arbiters of 'preferred nomenclature'. Is that you? Do you have a badge?

But if you're asking:
I don't think anyone has any problem seeing someone as multi-racial nowadays, rather than just black.
'I don't think anyone has any problem'

nomadthethird

do figures like this really increase by the same proportion annually though? also, im not sure i really like the way these stats for the US' ethnic makeup (usually with some fear-instilling agenda) are divided into 'whites' and then everyone else. plus 46% of the population isnt quite a minority. whites will still be the racial majority. its only when you group it into (all) non-whites and whites as the polar opposite that it seems that way.

Yes, so the U.S. is going to be a "minority majority" country within the next few decades. So that 100% white people (or those who identify as such, anyway) are no longer the majority.

nomadthethird

I said PC arbiters of 'preferred nomenclature'. Is that you? Do you have a badge?

But if you're asking:

'I don't think anyone has any problem'

Yes, which meant, I don't think Americans have a hard time acknowledging that some people who LOOK "black" are IN FACT of mixed heritage.

Did you read the post or are you intent on taking everything I say out of context for your own convenience?

vimothy

yurp
Slightly OT, but I liked what David Boaz said,

For two years now, everyone has talked about Barack Obama becoming the first black president, barely 40 years after the civil rights revolution. Obama himself has often said, “I don’t look like I came out of central casting when it comes to presidential candidates.”

But his achievement is even more striking than “first African-American president.” There are tens of millions of white Americans who are part of ethnic groups that have never produced a president. The fact is, all 42 of our presidents have been of British, Irish, or Germanic descent. We’ve never had a president of southern or eastern European ancestry. Despite the millions of Americans who came to the New World from France, Italy, Poland, Spain, Scandinavia, Russia, and other parts of Europe–not to mention Asia and the Arab world and Latin America–we’ve never had a president who traced his ancestry to those parts of the world. Indeed, it’s often been said that “we’ve never had a president whose name ended in a vowel” (except for a silent ”e” such as Coolidge, and with the exception of Kennedy), which is another way of saying “not of southern or eastern European heritage”).

As Philip Q. Yang put it in his book Ethnic Studies: Issues and Approaches, “There have been no presidents of southern and eastern European descent; and none of Jewish, African, Latino, Asian, or Indian descent.” We’ve had 37 presidents of British (English, Scottish, or Welsh) or Irish descent; three of Dutch descent (Van Buren and the two Roosevelts); and two of Swiss/German descent (Hoover and Eisenhower). Of course, these categories usually refer to the president’s paternal line; Reagan, for instance, was Irish on his father’s side but not on his mother’s. But that doesn’t change the overall picture.

In this light, Obama’s achievement is even more remarkable. He has achieved something that no American politician even of southern or eastern European heritage has managed. But I think we can assume that from now on there won’t be any perceived disadvantage to candidates of Italian, French, Asian, or other previous genealogies not previously seen in the White House. For that, congratulations to Barack Obama.​

jambo

Did you read the post or are you intent on taking everything I say out of context for your own convenience?
You asked me where you had said that you approved of the term, even though it was the 'arbiters of PC language' I had mentioned, not nomadthesecond. So I quoted where you implied that you were OK with the term.

I think it's fairly acceptable as a term but I was just pointing out the inconsitency of utterly denying 'race' on the one hand, and accusing those who claim to recognise it as a reality of being racists, and using the language of race on the other.

nomadthethird

Would you say that Obama is mixed-social construct then?.

As a matter of fact, yes, I would.

His life is a perfect sort of manifestation of the sort of cultural forces that exist based upon solely visual "racial" constructs and how they are insufficient.

Barack Obama was raised in predominantly "white" neighborhoods where schools received more funding and performed better. This gave him an automatic "leg up" over other people with skin as dark as his who were not raised by "whites" in white neighborhoods. His father was an African immigrant who left the family to go to Harvard, not a typical slave-descended black person in the U.S. This also affected his eligibility for admissions at Harvard.

Even so, as soon as he could, after Harvard, he fought loud and hard for the constitutional rights of black people. Even though he isn't slave-descended, he has no doubt encountered the same racism that anyone who looks black encounters in the U.S. He knows that the social construction of race wins out over reality and understanding anyday. This is why he thinks it's so important to have a progressive tax code, and why he wants to give students 5,000 federal dollars toward tuition if they volunteer in disadvantaged neighborhoods.

Barack Obama understands the horrible effects of social constructions like race and the resulting norms as well as anyone and better than most.

nomadthethird

You asked me where you had said that you approved of the term, even though it was the 'arbiters of PC language' I had mentioned, not nomadthesecond. So I quoted where you implied that you were OK with the term.

I think it's fairly acceptable as a term but I was just pointing out the inconsitency of utterly denying 'race' on the one hand, and accusing those who claim to recognise it as a reality of being racists, and using the language of race on the other.

Most people who prefer the term "mixed-race" DO NOT deny the existence of race. Most "PC" people actually believe wholeheartedly in it.

jambo

Any comments on my OP, Jambo? :)
I would aspire not to give a toss how black or otherwise someone is. In other words I agree with the bit I already quoted -
john eden said:
social constructs.

Presumably if there's a discussion to be had for those that are interested it is around the implications of perceptions of and attitudes to colour / race.

john eden

male pale and stale
I would aspire not to give a toss how black or otherwise someone is. In other words I agree with the bit I already quoted -

Presumably if there's a discussion to be had for those that are interested it is around the implications of perceptions of and attitudes to colour / race.

OK cool. Are you interested in discussions around the implications of perceptions and attitudes to colour/race?

poetix

we murder to dissect
Try fitting these three propositions into your head all at once, for pomo PC laffs:

"Reality is socially constructed" (there is nothing but bodies and languages)
"Race is a social construct" (languages construct bodies as raced)
"Race is not real" (the notion of race is demonstrably incoherent)

There are all sorts of things we habitually take for real that race is at least as real as, regrettably. Obama seems to bridge two "realities", one in which race is real (if incoherently so) and he is a black man, and another in which race is no longer real (has lost all symbolic efficiency) and "the colour of his skin" no longer signifies as a racial marker.

My guess is that the US itself is now a kind of disjunctive synthesis of these two realities: a racist society that has a dream of becoming a non-racist one, and a post-racial society that has not completely awoken from the nightmare of once having been something else. If so, Obama's presidency is at least a potent sign of the times.

nomadthethird

Try fitting these three propositions into your head all at once, for pomo PC laffs:

"Reality is socially constructed" (there is nothing but bodies and languages)
"Race is a social construct" (languages construct bodies as raced)
"Race is not real" (the notion of race is demonstrably incoherent)

There are all sorts of things we habitually take for real that race is at least as real as, regrettably. Obama seems to bridge two "realities", one in which race is real (if incoherently so) and he is a black man, and another in which race is no longer real (has lost all symbolic efficiency) and "the colour of his skin" no longer signifies as a racial marker.

My guess is that the US itself is now a kind of disjunctive synthesis of these two realities: a racist society that has a dream of becoming a non-racist one, and a post-racial society that has not completely awoken from the nightmare of once having been something else. If so, Obama's presidency is at least a potent sign of the times.

"Race is not real" IS NOT, nor has it ever been, a "PC" sentiment or proposition. It's a scientific proposition that "race is not a biological fact."

But hey, if you're into constructing strawmen, have a ball.

D

droid

The fact is, all 42 of our presidents have been of British, Irish, or Germanic descent.

Aha! That explains it so:

obama_244058d.jpg

The town of Moneygall, County Offaly is already planning for his visit:

MHC_Logo_.jpg

poetix

we murder to dissect
"Race is not real" IS NOT, nor has it ever been, a "PC" sentiment or proposition. It's a scientific proposition that "race is not a biological fact."

But hey, if you're into constructing strawmen, have a ball.

If one accepts the first two propositions, one may have a few embarrassments with expressions like "biological fact" (and might enjoy pointing out that race has enjoyed, for a significant part of its ignominious history, precisely the status of "biological fact", with many "scientific propositions" being devoted to its elucidation)...