the baggy continuum

swears

preppy-kei
Well, they were only fashionable for a while, too. If zhao's theory is right, then black fashion in america would constantly be baggy, not fluctuate within wider fashion trends. It wouldn't surprise me if everybody's jeans got tighter over the next five years.

zhao

there are no accidents
If zhao's theory is right, then black fashion in america would constantly be baggy, not fluctuate within wider fashion trends.

logic flawed: if there is a link, there must always be a consistent link. no, sometimes the link is lost, sometimes found again.

there is African influence in UK Funky, but there hasn't always been as obvious one in House music.

swears

preppy-kei
But there have been baggy white styles too, (sometimes imitating black styles, sometimes not) I think it's just coincidence, unless the whole native tongue/afrocentric hip hop movement had a larger influence than you'd think. Besides, aren't there tight African styles too? It's a pretty big continent.

don't be so literal. not saying it's the REASON they do it, or that anyone is consciously thinking along these lines. more like a Jungian, collective deeper roots connection thing.

So how does this work, then? Surely all races would be dressing like their ancestors...

Shonx

Shallow House
I've donned a perma-tan, chlamidya and white stillettoes in honour of my essex heritage. You got a fucking problem with that you wankers?

zhao

there are no accidents
So how does this work, then? Surely all races would be dressing like their ancestors...

again, your logic... just because UK Funky has African influences, so German Minimal must have Yodeling or Wagner influences?

zhao

there are no accidents
I've donned a perma-tan, chlamidya and white stillettoes in honour of my essex heritage. You got a fucking problem with that you wankers?

:D skinny black jeans and pointy shoes were quite big in the Ming dynasty.

Shonx

Shallow House
again, your logic... just because UK Funky has African influences, so German Minimal must have Yodeling or Wagner influences?

I used to think there was a Wagner influence on trance but now I can't stop thinking that Flight of the Valkyries would really suit a disco re-rub.

Back to the point, isn't the baggy dress handy cause it's cooler (temperature wise) and because it covers up quite a lot of excess body fat?

swears

preppy-kei

Yes zhao, again, my "logic". Where's the logic in your assumptions? My point is that just because you can see a tenuous link between african dress and contemporary black american dress doesn't mean it's there. You still haven't explained how the link actually occurred.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
...so German Minimal must have Yodeling or Wagner influences?

Or Bierkeller oompah-band samples! :D

Actually, the Wagner idea reminds me of a big building in London on the north bank of the Thames near the old Tate Gallery, called Imperial Chemical House - which sounds to me like it could be a really out-there kind of dance music, like Stakker Humanoid-style late-80s acid house with samples of I Vow To Thee, My Country or something stuck over the top.

Last edited: