year of the pirate

jambo

slip inside my schlafsack
More to this than meets the eye Cap'n?

Ahmedou Ould-Abdallah, the UN envoy to Somalia, tells me: "Somebody is dumping nuclear material here. There is also lead, and heavy metals such as cadmium and mercury – you name it." Much of it can be traced back to European hospitals and factories, who seem to be passing it on to the Italian mafia to "dispose" of cheaply. When I asked Mr Ould-Abdallah what European governments were doing about it, he said with a sigh: "Nothing. There has been no clean-up, no compensation, and no prevention."

At the same time, other European ships have been looting Somalia's seas of their greatest resource: seafood. We have destroyed our own fish stocks by overexploitation – and now we have moved on to theirs. More than $300m-worth of tuna, shrimp, and lobster are being stolen every year by illegal trawlers. The local fishermen are now starving. Mohammed Hussein, a fisherman in the town of Marka 100km south of Mogadishu, told Reuters: "If nothing is done, there soon won't be much fish left in our coastal waters."

This is the context in which the "pirates" have emerged. Somalian fishermen took speedboats to try to dissuade the dumpers and trawlers, or at least levy a "tax" on them. They call themselves the Volunteer Coastguard of Somalia – and ordinary Somalis agree. The independent Somalian news site WardheerNews found 70 per cent "strongly supported the piracy as a form of national defence".

No, this doesn't make hostage-taking justifiable, and yes, some are clearly just gangsters – especially those who have held up World Food Programme supplies. But in a telephone interview, one of the pirate leaders, Sugule Ali: "We don't consider ourselves sea bandits. We consider sea bandits [to be] those who illegally fish and dump in our seas." William Scott would understand.​

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinio...-are-being-lied-to-about-pirates-1225817.html

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Christ, Somalia is such an awful mess - I read recently that its government (such as it is) has a budget of $30 million. I mean, our government routinely loses that much money down the back of the sofa...

Edit: apparently that's for the semi-autonomous region of Somaliland, not the whole country, but it's still not gonna go far between 3.5m people.

Last edited:

scottdisco

rip this joint please
re that J Hari article that Jambo links to: there are quite a few trains of thought that make the same conclusions he does on this topic from various i've seen of late, and clearly piracy is a corollary of the broken state.

cheers Jambo!
:D

i know next to nothing about the pirates of se Asia (quite literally just hearing the odd horror story and not knowing anything of the make-up of these people etc.) but would be very interested in anybody with any plausible backgrounders?

(as a side-note it must be said browsing the comments to same Indie article some commenters with it seems no particular axe to grind and a balanced approach are rebuffing certain elements of Hari's history and take on current dumping, but this doesn't really weaken the overall message of the piece.)

crackerjack

(as a side-note it must be said browsing the comments to same Indie article some commenters with it seems no particular axe to grind and a balanced approach are rebuffing certain elements of Hari's history and take on current dumping, but this doesn't really weaken the overall message of the piece.)

as a side-note to your side-note, i'd recommend finding corroboration before believing anything Hari writes

jambo

slip inside my schlafsack
Someone could email Ahmedou Ould-Abdallah and ask him for a comment if they wanted.

It would hardly be implausible or unprecedented if unscrupulous business and government were using vulnerable areas for illegal dumping and/or fishing though.

crackerjack

It would hardly be implausible or unprecedented if unscrupulous business and government were using vulnerable areas for illegal dumping and/or fishing though.

For sure. I wasn't offering an opinion on this piece, just JH in general. Like I say, a side-note to a side-note.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
horribly long lineage on both pollution and other

Talks aimed at stopping millions of tonnes of European toxic waste being dumped in strife-torn Somalia have started between officials of the UN Environment Programme and the Italian and Swiss governments.
(New Scientist magazine, '92)

Mr. Gormley asked the Minister for Foreign Affairs if his attention has been drawn to illegal dumping taking place in Somalia; if he has raised the issue at European Union level; and if he will make a statement on the matter.
Minister for Foreign Affairs (Mr. D. Ahern):
There are suspicions that some European companies may have used Somalia in the past as a dumping ground for hazardous waste including uranium radioactive waste, lead, cadmium, mercury and hospital waste. There is little information available on the extent to which illegal dumping may be continuing to take place in Somalia.

(Dáil debate, '05)

The issue of dumping in Somalia is contentious as it raises both legal and moral questions (.pdf
from a UNEP post-tsunami report, '05)

"It is a disaster off the Somali coast, a disaster (for) the Somali environment, the Somali population," he added...Ould Abdallah cited the case of a Spanish trawler captured by pirates while illegally fishing for tuna off Somalia in April.
(Ould Abdallah last summer)

(side note to a side note to a, er, i was mostly struck by how some commenters were calling JH on certain aspects of his piracy history in centuries past; shouldn't have mentioned him being called on dumping. JH does like to draw readers in with a bit of history sometimes, which is fair enough, as he's the successful columnist and i'm, er.. ;) )

scottdisco

rip this joint please
just wondering

off-T but from Polystyle Desu's excellent NYT article above i saw
The only unresolved issue is the weapons. The Kenyan government has said the Faina’s cargo was intended for the Kenyan military, but the pirates and Western officials in the region have said that the arms were destined for a former rebel army in southern Sudan and that Kenya was the secret transit point.

this is the second place i've read that the destination point was south Sudan.

anyone know any more?

cheers
:)