The Rise of the Female Foreign Minister

jambo

slip inside my schlafsack
Your first paragraph is full of the obvious implications already made by both me and waffle.
Was replying to waffle's questions, to me.
Perhaps. What are your thoughts on the practice? / You're sensory spectacles are sniffing out a conspiracy, then? / Um ... let me try and guess ... umm ... Biopolitics!!!?? PR/Medium is the Message?
That was my answer, you agree or you don't but you were looking to have a go basically.

And I disagree, it's not obvious what you or waff are saying here. It's the usual nudge-nudge, oh yes dahling isn't it just like so-and-so says? You are for the most part not actually saying anything. And you say I'm being an 'obscurantist'!

Can we just take a moment to look at the name of this forum? It's not everyone-agrees-that-the-world-is-like-THIS-dot-com, or we-all-take-such-and-such-a-theory-as-a-given-truth-dot-com. Your opinion is not the truth and you also don't have to argue about that until nobody can be arsed any more. It's about finding common ground and using a shared space to come at things from different angles.

Last edited:

jambo

Yes, Jambo, that's what I said.
I asked the question because I wanted to be sure of your meaning. I can make an educated guess based on what I know of your general position but why should I assume I know what you're saying when I am not sure? That would be presumptuous, surely. Why take so much exception to people asking questions? Why do you think this, what do mean here?

And I never said I thought you made anything up or that I didn't believe you.

Last edited:

jambo

The reason why it makes sense for far right countries to put prettier females in positions of power is because in far right, conservative countries, many people are very threatened by a woman who is perceived to be "too much like a man": intellectually inclined, not worried about her looks, not worried about having children right away, not in the kitchen. These women are shut out of politic discourse at alarming rates in favor of more palatable "fourth wave" Sarah Palin-esque "feminists."
Sure, OK, indeed.

But what is it about 'far right' ideology that engenders this, so to speak? Or rather, what is the correlation? Is it simply that 'conservative' politics at this time equates with conserving patriarchal institutional structures, or is it something more fundamental that underlies both phenomena I wonder.

waffle

Banned
The glass contains oven-warmed asp's milk.

Is it 'fair trade' asp's milk or just plain ordinary 'social and cultural' asp's milk, as your coffee-drinking colleague in the "What is Politics" thread might fail to distinguish?

Jambo said:
It [Dissensus] is about finding common ground and using a shared space to come at things from different angles.

Like the 'common ground' of the "Hot Old Skool Babes" thread, the questioning of inherited gender roles being the enemy of the common ground?

Ripley said:
I haven't looked at the numbers myself.. if that is the case I can see how that could be an interesting trend, but I don't know what it could be correlated with, without even more specifics - what else those particular countries have in common in themselves or in terms of their global political positions and relationships

So I especially don't know that I have thoughts about why an INCREASE in women foreign ministers.. I can see a lot of strategic, symbolic, political reasons that might inspire a particular government to choose a woman foreign minister (alongside whatever specifics a particular woman brings to the job).

But as for an increase? I would guess we would have to look at whatever else is changing in geopolitics - which is so much, actually that I wouldn't have a good way to figure out what could be influencing it across the board. It takes me back to the question of whether the countries who have female foreign ministers have anything else in common..

The question you 'raise' in your last sentence is the question that is raised by this thread, whether the trend reflects a move to the right.

Clearly, it's not all cynical patriarchal tokenism. Nordic countries have female foreign ministers, but this reflects the fact that such countries - particularly Finland and Norway - now have more women than men in government ministerial positions (around 60 percent in both cases) and lead in closing the Gender Gap Index.

On the other hand, there is the very strange case of Rwanda: "Rwanda achieved something no other country had ever done before: produce a legislature in which women outnumber men. The results of last month's [September, 2008]parliamentary elections gave women 45 out of the 80 seats in the chamber of deputies, or 56%. This surpasses Rwandan women's near parity in the outgoing parliament, already the highest proportion in the world. Rwandan President Paul Kagame praised the election results, saying that a female majority in parliament "emphasises the fact that the country's future is being shaped by women". Except that this seeming gender-equality paradise, after years of horror, is totally misleading.

craner

Beast of Burden
Like the 'common ground' of the "Hot Old Skool Babes" thread,

I knew you'd be hanging out there, Waffles.

craner

Beast of Burden
Incidentally, that Rwanda article linked to is typical effluence from the truthout website - this site is a vocal part of a campaign to tie Paul Kagame and the RPF to the assassination of President Juvenal Habyarimana in 1994. It constantly refers to the Rwandan Genocide as the "Rwandan Genocide" - implying that the Genocide was a myth peddled by Paul Kagame to disguise his invasion/putsch. It's an out-and-out Rwanda-denial rag and it seems that Waffles doesn't have much compunction in linking to anyone to make a cheap point, like a certain old friend of ours.

Last edited:

waffle

Banned
Like the 'common ground' of the "Hot Old Skool Babes" thread,

I knew you'd be hanging out there, Waffles.

There's no need for you to emphasize your misogyny, when your other posts have always been more than adequate to the task.

craner said:
Incidentally, that Rwanda article linked to is typical effluence from the truthout website ...

Yes, Rwanda is a model of gender equality and social utopia to which we should all aspire.

<rest of craner's congenital lunacy snipped>

What's next in Dissensus dementia? Feminists as Holocaust Deniers?

Last edited:

scottdisco

rip this joint please
The so-called “Rwanda Genocide” is one of the most widely misunderstood events in contemporary history, and not because the evidence is lacking or because the truth is obscured by butchery.
quite.

apologies for the off-topic post.

big up nomadthesecond, BTW, at 24-11-2008, 5:21 AM.

(Tymoshenko's rowing with Yushchenko over recent months has fascinated me, i must say.)

Last edited:

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
Sorry, Luka. Somebody was getting on my proverbial last nerve.

On the other hand, there is the very strange case of Rwanda: "Rwanda achieved something no other country had ever done before: produce a legislature in which women outnumber men. The results of last month's [September, 2008]parliamentary elections gave women 45 out of the 80 seats in the chamber of deputies, or 56%. This surpasses Rwandan women's near parity in the outgoing parliament, already the highest proportion in the world. Rwandan President Paul Kagame praised the election results, saying that a female majority in parliament "emphasises the fact that the country's future is being shaped by women". Except that this seeming gender-equality paradise, after years of horror, is totally misleading.

Isn't the standard response to token female/minority representation in government always, "see, women/blacks/latinos are allowed into positions of power! Sexism/racism is just a card liberals play in order to continue to promote 'special rights' agendas."

The "we live in a post-racist society" idea is no more foolish than the "we live in a post-sexist" version.

Conservatives have responded to the push for more equity by allowing in highly visible blacks, latinos, and women to join the party only to advocate policies that would silence their advocates, veto any bill that may help promote greater equity in minority/gender representation under the law, and roll-back all of the hard-earned humans rights laws that are already in place.

Condi Rice
Michelle Bachman (uuuggghhh)
Mel Martinez
Colin Powell

See, now we live in a post-racial society! We have black people in government who work to extinguish the efforts of their social advocates and the policies that allowed them "in" in the first place! We have a black president, and he never once mentioned the fact that most black people still have a very slim chance of making it to the top in America, unless they want to be bought out by conservatives and use themselves as examples of how there's no more racism left.

And now you have almost zero women who self-identify as feminists, but who would say without irony "I'm not a feminist, but I believe women should be able to work outside the home, and live without a husband or father, and be allowed into all professions, even law and science..." while simultaneously popping an oral contraceptive in a BMW on the drive home to the condo they that they bought with their six-figure salary.

(Until we have no more people like Brooke Hogan in the U.S., we won't be a post-anything society.

http://www.bestweekever.tv/2008/07/21/three-words-youll-never-hear-president-brooke-hogan/

http://www.bestweekever.tv/2008/08/13/brooke-hogans-guide-to-voting-and-living-your-f-in-life/ )

Last edited:

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
"Is it 'fair trade' asp's milk or just plain ordinary 'social and cultural' asp's milk, as your coffee-drinking colleague in the "What is Politics" thread might fail to distinguish?"

The asp's milk is produced from Nestle asp's milk powder...

luka

craner you do realise waffle is too reasonable to be padrag don't you? less picture posts too. think again. its another old friend i suspect, someone we are far more familiar with. if im right its not someone im altogether displeased to see again.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Incidentally, that Rwanda article linked to is typical effluence from the truthout website - this site is a vocal part of a campaign to tie Paul Kagame and the RPF to the assassination of President Juvenal Habyarimana in 1994. It constantly refers to the Rwandan Genocide as the "Rwandan Genocide" - implying that the Genocide was a myth peddled by Paul Kagame to disguise his invasion/putsch. It's an out-and-out Rwanda-denial rag and it seems that Waffles doesn't have much compunction in linking to anyone to make a cheap point, like a certain old friend of ours.

The authors of that particular article aren't denying it, though.

waffle

Banned
craner you do realise waffle is too reasonable to be padrag don't you? less picture posts too. think again. its another old friend i suspect, someone we are far more familiar with. if im right its not someone im altogether displeased to see again.

Your (self-constructed) 'enemy' has indeed "tipped you into outright howling paranoid lunacy", in your own words. [This is where Poetix enters stage-right to offer you further moral support with some mythological, hyperstitional waffle about gnosis and 'the old ones'].

Josef K said:
The asp's milk is produced from Nestle asp's milk powder...

Aw shucks! Even Spielberg (TM) would be proud of such a denouement. At least it's not yet Monsanto ... ("All baby milk is now the property of the Monsanto Corporation").

Scottdisco said:
Quite. Apologies for the off-topic post.

Not at all. A welcome riposte to Craner's odious attempt to derail the thread with his usual self-satisfied, far right propaganda.

luka

maybe i was wrong, maybe it is just boring old padrag. i was hoping it might be the return of kpunk....
padrag youre boring shut up

waffle

Banned
maybe i was wrong, maybe it is just boring old padrag. i was hoping it might be the return of kpunk....
padrag youre boring shut up

"I like to give the impression I am pretending to be ignorant, stupid, and lazy to hide the fact that I really am ignorant, stupid, and lazy. Now, what thread can I derail today with my gibberish while defending craner's endorsement of a wanted war criminal."

waffle

Banned
So, wait, you peddle the French line on Rwanda and accuse me of being "far-right"? Hilarious.

Thank you for that intriguing assessment. Maybe if we hurl little match-stick flags at each other the dispute can be finally resolved, before then moving on to the later US-sponsored Rwandan invasion of the Democratic Republic of Congo, and that war in which around 6 million have died for some coltan over the past decade ....

"So, in 1990, the RPF launched its insurgency. The French armed the government and put one of their officers in charge of the counterinsurgency operation. The escalation in oppression led to a rising tide of protest which the government dealt with in two ways: 1) introduce some modest democratic reforms; 2) build up death squads in the army (particularly the Interahamwe, who would go on to be central in the genocidal campaign), indoctrinated with anti-Tutsi racism. The government also used radio broadcasts to propagate fairly direct and unsophisticated messages denouncing attempts at making peace with the Tutsi. Yet by 1993, the RPF were marching on Kigali, and only French troops prevented them from reaching the city. Negotiations ensued, and the Arusha Accords were signed under the auspices of the OAU - but since Habyarimana would have substantial power stripped from him under the accords, he frustrated their implementation. In retrospect, it is hard to see how the accords were signed since it called for the Hutu nationalist regime to lose substantial control over the most important levers of state power, especially the army. At any rate, once Habyarimana was assassinated, presumably by individuals from within his own regime who feared that he would slowly acquiesce in a peaceful resolution, the genocide began.

During the genocide, as Linda Melvern has shown (especially in A People Betrayed: The Role of the West in Rwanda's Genocide, 2000), the West intervened constantly. The French surreptitiously backed the extremists carrying out the genocide through its Operation Turquoise, while the US and UK acted to suppress attempts by some in the UN to increase the presence and mandate there, despite full knowledge of what was afoot. In fact, they deliberately acted to withdraw the UNAMIR presence. I have no illusions about the UN, but these actions would at least suggest that we're beyond the myth of petrified negligence or even indifference - we're talking about an active attempt to facilitate the genocide by removing an obstacle to it. They couldn't even bring themselves to "jam" the radio broadcasts, essential to the conduct and expansion of the genocide. Don't make the mistake of thinking the US was indifferent, however: it supported the RPF's military battle, and had trained Paul Kagame, the RPF's leader, at Fort Leavenworth. But the genocide was directed at civilians, not at the RPF who could defend themselves.
"

craner

Beast of Burden
The French Imperialist line, no less.

Although maybe I'm wrong; been following this line of Rwanda revisionism for a while now. Tell-tale signs always being the hytserical branding of Paul Kagame as a "dictator" and "war criminal" - these orginate in du Quai d'Orsay, the Egyptian government, and other remaining enclaves of Hutu Power. (As far as I know, Madame Agathe is still living rent-free in her Parisian apartment, but I could be wrong.) But it's been appearing in far left media for a while now, as an even more depraved adjunct to Screbrenica denial. For example: this rum slice penned by Ed Herman in Z Magazine last October, in which he wrote:

To an amazing degree, the Western media and NGOs swallowed the propaganda line and lies on Rwanda that turned things upside down. They made the prime aggressors and genocidists, who were responsible for the dual assassination of April 6, 1994 that precipitated the mass killing, into heroic defenders against the de facto victims. The dictator Paul Kagame, one of the great mass murderers of our time, was made into an honored savior deserving and receiving strong Western support. Philip Gourevitch and the New Yorker whipped up sympathy in the West by labeling the Tutsis the “Jews of Africa;” the label stuck, and it garnered even greater support for Western anti-“genocide” intervention. These big lies are now institutionalized and are part of the common (mis)understanding in the West.

This is, essentailly, the far left version of Robert Faurisson, and truthout is a major contributor to this trash; I felt I should point out that we have a link to such filth being circulated on Dissensus.

In terms of female African leaders, what about the great Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf?? Eh?

Last edited: