Rolling Rugby Thread

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
hm, me too. an england or south africa win would be bad for the game (england win would be bad existentially all round). i hope it's NZ v the Wales-Ireland winner in the final.

but i predict SA-England again.

luka

if its a france nz final nz gonna have a national nervous breakdown. if its a wales nz final nz win by over 100 points. if wales play SA in the final they win. if france play sa in the final they win. aus beats both comfortably.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Rugby, bloody hell....

Monumental Welsh performance, possibly the best I've ever seen, certainly best since vs France in 08 for the grand slam. I would've liked to see Ireland do well, an dpity they had to go out in the QFs again.

France did well, but looked very shaky int he last 30 mins. If Wales play as they did today, they'll beat them. But then, there's no guarantee of that.

All up for Aus-SA now, another fantasic game of rugby in prospect!

Edit: yeah, I think NZ would beat Wales should it come to that (thinking WAY too far ahead), but I will be w\tching the first 50 mins of the 2003 game all week to convince myself otherwise. If it comes to that - really, depends if France have another big game in them or not.

luka

pocock, o'conner, beale all immense. cooper tried his best to lose it for them, but failed.
wow. now nz guarunteed a place in th final. no way aus backing up after that.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Spoke too soon! It's gonna be a hell of a game - after watching the Argentina game, not scared of NZ any more. Argentina's try try of the tournament, no doubt, esp given the quality of the opposition.

Edit: watching the Aus-SA game on playback now - SA playing some terrific stuff in the first ten

Last edited:

luka

if wales meet nz they lose by 50. not because they are inferior players but becasue wales go to th game thinking they cant win nz goes into the games knowing they cant lose.

luka

SA dominated the whole game. look at th tackle count and gasp. aus wonderful. heroic. easily th game of the tournament. astonishing,.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
SA certainly dominated, and I think it's possible they're even more intense than NZ. I preferred Ireland-Wales for personal reasons, but they were both great games. Cooper was awful though, in the main.

Wales-NZ - I agree there's a psychological thing going on there, but I think it's far less pronounced (a) with this Welsh team; (b) with this NZ team minus Carter; it kinda depends on how the substitute fly-half (whoever it will be) measures up (c) witht he presuure cooker atmosphere of a WC final that NZ cannot afford to lose.

Still, it might end being France-Australia!

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
england's problem was youngs slowing everything down with poor passes, extra steps, odd decisions, under-hit box kicks etc... that was confirmed to me today watching the nz and argentine scrumhalves.. so quick and accurate with their passing it was exciting

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
england's problem was youngs slowing everything down with poor passes, extra steps, odd decisions, under-hit box kicks etc... that was confirmed to me today watching the nz and argentine scrumhalves.. so quick and accurate with their passing it was exciting

i've seen youngs be exciting before. johnson must have told him that it was unacceptable.

craner

Beast of Burden
If Wales can't take out France next weekend, then they should never enter a World Cup ever again. What would be the point?

craner

Beast of Burden
The reason that was the best Wales performance since they beat France in 08 is to do with 3 things 1. a bit of self-confidence 2. exciting, rock-solid defence, exactly like that 08 game and 3. they have a booze curfew of 2 pints, which for the Welsh team is, basically, sobriety. This has had a marvelloous effect on their energy, concentration and moral fibre.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The defence has been excellent, you're right - as you say, like the two-try conceding 2008 6N season. Have to say I think the Poland training (and of course other things, not just this) must have genuinely helped, as I have neevr seen Wales finish games so strongly.

France should be eminently beatable, because their tries vs England, Welsh defence probably would've stopped. Plus England got in the ludicrous situation of being 16-0 down by HT, and still had the French rocking by the last 15/20.