Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: Rolling Rugby Thread

Todays game was fun but low quality

didn't get to see it cos of work. probably will just watch the five mins of highlights in that case. losing a 17-31 lead in 5 minutes is pretty unforgivable.

Apparently Gatland also said that L Williams had a 'mixed game', failing to notice that the guy had a head injury and as coach he should have pulled him earlier. God I hope his sabbatical as Wales manager is permanent.

They dropped Te'o, which leads me to believe the second test could be a massacre. Only thing preventing it might be the forecast of heavy rain.

Well, how wrong could I be? Though I don't think anyone predicted the way that one turned out. Game on.

It's how i thought the first test would go minus the sending off. I just dont think its a great all blacks side. I think they're vulnerable up front and through the middle and too callow to cope with real pressure

they did look unusually deflated and wilting after murray's try - the shot of israel dagg with hands on hips as if to say 'what just happened?' isn't an image you associate with the ABs.

when the euphoria subsided, i still think the lions were poor for about 40 minutes of the game (is it a better Lions team than 2009/2013 - far from sure). Minutes 60-75 were stupendous though - if they can reproduce that, they have a chance of winning. When they play a running game, they look very dangerous (though Murray's passing at the beginning was quite bad, I thought - he redeemed himself). And some of the two-man tackles towards the end were awe-inspiring - Sinckler, Itoje, George and Lawes etc were finally playing at the level they need to be to win 15 v 15 next week.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 03-07-2017 at 03:14 PM.

Missed all these games, have been asleep or battling hangovers every time they've been on, but I will make a special effort to watch the final test. The drama of it will be immense, even if it ends up being a shit game.

Thanks to Luke for giving me real time match reports via text while I've been comatose or suffering.

You've missed some cracking entertainment in that case. I think the third test could live up to its billing - rare in sport that it happens, but I imagine both teams will try to win it through positive means rather than negative

Weirdest atmosphere ever at the end of a match (of anything). "Is that it?" "Yeah, guess so" "I DON'T KNOW HOW I FEEL"

Why the fuck couldn't the rugby powers that be have suggested a fourth match next week? Pretty sure all the players would have gone for that. Paucity of thinking. Flights can be rearranged these days.

The Lions were lucky to be within 20 points by the second half, but could've won it had they not kicked away ball needlessly in the final 15 (Conor Murray and his pointless box kicks which resulted in losing 30 yards every time - Lions tactics were useless, as they failed to realise that it was with ball in hand that they could win). Odd all round.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 08-07-2017 at 09:03 PM.

Did you not find it exciting, tense or dramatic at all? If not, you must be the most unflappable rugby fan in Britain and Ireland.

I thought it was fantastic.

Of course (you missed the first two tests, we acclimatised gradually to the tense nature of it all! At the end of the second test, I was laid out on the floor in nervous exhaustion - most nerve-shredding game since Pretoria 2009... Well, actually, there was that matter of a 2011 WC semi-final, forgot about that momentarily.) I didn't mean the atmosphere for me, rather the atmosphere among the players at 80 minutes. It was so strange, unlike anything I've seen - almost silence. Personally I shared that feeling a little despite the previous excitement - I would have preferred extra time to get a winner. I wanted the excitement to continue...

As if in the numerous football World Cup finals, they'd just gone - well, no winner after 90, I guess that means we just share the trophy, eh? A nice touch in terms of sportsmanship/mutual respect, but I felt a bit shortchanged.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 09-07-2017 at 10:12 PM.

OK, yeah, fair enough. Technical rugby aside, it seemed like a superb occasion to me. And a big achievement, really, for the Lions.

Jon Davies getting Lions Player of the Tournament was really sweet, because we've always valued him in Wales. Seems like the Welsh boys put a good stint in during this tour.

Question

WC Semi in 2011 is still the greatest lost moment in Welsh Rugby history. They would not have beaten the All Blacks, but, boy, did they deserve to be in that final. And missed it, with one man down, by a rare Halfpenny 20cm wide long kick.

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    OK, yeah, fair enough. Technical rugby aside, it seemed like a superb occasion to me. And a big achievement, really, for the Lions.

Jon Davies getting Lions Player of the Tournament was really sweet, because we've always valued him in Wales. Seems like the Welsh boys put a good stint in during this tour.
    He deserved it, true class player. The only other candidate was Itoje, who was disadvantaged by not starting in the first test. He'll be one of the best British players ever if he continues as he's going - titanic in the last two tests.

Warburton did very well as captain, but Liam Williams doesn't have the all-round game to be a full back (though he's a great attacking player) - Halfpenny can count himself unlucky. Faletau was decent but not at his very best, surprisingly cos he's a big game player. Brilliant, brilliant try in the second test though - he's a better finisher than most of the Lions' backs division.

And we could see a fourth test (of sorts) in November - Lions under Barbarian colours as a kind of homage to 1973, so some suggest.

The WC semi is still traumatic. As you say, they should have won it. Bizarrely France pulled off a similar self-sabotaging trick in the final, when they could've/should've won themselves.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 10-07-2017 at 01:10 AM.

Well, that would bring a bit of lustre back to the flagging Barbarians brand.