Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolling Rugby Thread

wonderful post Ollie!

and Baboon, that's quite alright. i saw your boys beat Ireland at Croker last year with a Port Talbot pal and it was wonderful.

my, weren't Italy woeful.

dispiriting for an admirer such as myself.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdisco View Post
    i saw your boys beat Ireland at Croker last year with a Port Talbot pal and it was wonderful.
    Ah, that piece of magic from Shane. Very close game, as I recall.

The injuries have got to be a worry for Wales next Saturday though. But we'll never underestimate an English team.

And can someone do something about Stephen Jones?!? Wasteful.

I adore Stephen Jones, and he's usually a top-notch kicker; it was painful to see him miss all those kicks on Sunday. One reason for that flattering score line. Scotland were lucky not to be humiliated on home ground. (Though I still think they were.)

was intense; shame we lost, eh?

Default i didn't watch France-Scotland

Bravo Wales!

Cymru am bith!

better from England than i was expecting.

in the opening ten or so Wales could've driven bulldozers through English spaces and then the start of the second, what a wonderful Welsh move.

nice tries all around, and i am glad England demonstrated some moves now and again, as well as the discipline to tighten up after initially being caught cold at the start of both halves. much better than against Italy.

immediately after being sinned Goode looked suicidal on that bench.

two random thoughts:

Shanklin reminds me of the Aussie Latham somewhat: fierce creature.

i watched the BBC1 coverage with BBC1 commentary (you can switch to BBC Wales or R5 on digital but i didn't), but - blow me - Moore is a one-eyed twat isn't he?

much of his praise for Wales was essentially either a back-handed compliment or damning with the faint stuff. i don't mean picking Worsley as his MoM or anything like that, (Tait was anonymous i thought and afaic tell from Hartley coming on, most of what he did after being brought on was row), just in general, the entire 80.

still, i've been shaking my head for some time that the Telegraph got rid of the odd genuinely fine sports writer to make way financially for his well-paid columns, in which he regales us with inanities.

Didn't see all of it, due to stress-related cigarette breaks (watching at a pub) and drink-related comprehension problems late in the game, but bravo England. I don't think many Welshmen would've begrudged them the win on that performance. And they were killing us in the tackle at certain stages.

That all said, it's the mark of champions (cf Man United, New Zealand, Brazil) to play badly and win. Which is a strange feeling for a Welsh rugby fan.

I thought England were pretty good on Saturday, actually; but what was nice, was that they were good against the odds, and good because Johnson had the intelligence to sort out a decent defence game, by effectively marking out and neutralising our two most dangerous players on Saturday: Jamie Roberts and Andy Powell. (Sorry, should mention the mighty Martyn Williams too, such an amazing player, and lovely human being. It's nice to like so many of your player personally: Ryan Jones might be the most adorable and sane Captain of any rugby team in history.)

And they scored two good trys, to our one, so good defence and good trys makes them look good, and us bad. Then again, we didn't field Shane or Gav or Hook. And we still won. And that's nice, that's good, because we have depth: not putting on three of our best players no longer cripples us.

It's still down for a Wales vs. Ireland Grand Slam face off, fingers crossed, because that would be magnificent. I am admiring the Irish side right now. It would be good to beat them, superb to get 3 Grand Slams within 5 years.

I said "Grand Slam". Of course, that means it won't happen. Welsh pessimism is so strong, you can never mention this shit.

Jamie Roberts is a handsome, brilliant bastard, isn't he?

"France is a great place to win, if we're fortunate enough to do that."

Great captain, one to be proud to walk behind.

to stir baboon the Swansea boy!

Although, as baboon knows, none of us Swansea boys speak Welsh!

Dylan Thomas, the most famous Welshman and non-Welsh speaking Welshman, from the Uplands!

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    It's still down for a Wales vs. Ireland Grand Slam face off, fingers crossed, because that would be magnificent. I am admiring the Irish side right now. It would be good to beat them, superb to get 3 Grand Slams within 5 years.

I said "Grand Slam". Of course, that means it won't happen. Welsh pessimism is so strong, you can never mention this shit.
    Being a Welsh pessimist, I must say that I think France away is a huge potential banana skin for us. The French have a tendency to cut loose when their backs are against the wall, asthey surely are now after two shaky performances. But that doesn't mean that the championship isn't there for the taking, even if we do go awry in Paris.

The "Golden Boots" backs are really a reason it's always brilliant to beat France, which is why Ireland should be proud to have done so, and why last March's Grand Slam match was such a jumper-chewing affair. You can never write them off, just for those guys. It's also why I love the swarthy, handsome, stylish French sides more than anyone except Wales when they're as good and as charming as they are now.

Besides, Scotland was the 'banana skin', and we're beyond that now; though it's good to be in a position where every match up until Ireland can be called a 'banana skin'.

I guess it's because we're No. 4 in the world rankings now.

I don't want to think about tonight until it's happening, but the team is looking as strong as it could be - Shane and Jamie fit to play, Gavin on the bench (despite getting wrecked and rowdy the other weekend), and with a new little superstar in Leigh Halfpenny.

I am stupidly excited!

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    I don't want to think about tonight until it's happening, but the team is looking as strong as it could be - Shane and Jamie fit to play, Gavin on the bench (despite getting wrecked and rowdy the other weekend), and with a new little superstar in Leigh Halfpenny.

I am stupidly excited!
    Thanks for the team update. We shall be the Welsh rugby contingent in Berlin this evening!

oooh.

this could be a very, very good game in prospect..