Rolling Rugby Thread

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Didn't see the game, but this sounds too familiar:

"As their (Ireland's) coach Joe Schmidt, himself a Kiwi, succinctly put it: "To be a minute away from history and have the ball in your hands on their 10-metre line … it's devastating." "

A total inability to close out games against the best, as with Wales, will always be a massive problem.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Ffs Wales. Inside the last two minutes, needing a try to win the match, Wales in possession - twice they kick it away. You can't legislate for that level of stupidity. I''m glad Australia won, for once. And Quade Cooper was awesome.

luka

Great to see so many neurodiverse players excelling in international rugby.
Kudos to AB management [and now international sides]for believing in, and hot-housing these 'gifted' players.

Logically it follows that the flow on effect in the community will be just as mutually beneficial, and all 'gifted' life players, can one day have their place in the sun too.

All they need is the right atmosphere to flourish and thrive, and will then pledge their loyalty for being believed in.

Like a new immigrant, being in the minority makes them hungry to achieve and prove themselves, whilst neurotypical players do not have the psychic wound of difference, to sting them into action, but rather neuro-privilege to puff them up [further] on their teetering high horses.

The removal of psychically bullying all blacks, even if they are brilliant players, will ensure the AB's future successes.

There is is no room for bullying in a happy house, or happy team.
I would argue that this has been the key to the AB's phenomenal record of wins.

Again, this is a microcosm for any future successes in the extended community.
Apathia - New Zealand - 09:18 AM Monday, 24 Nov 2014

luka

some players took part in a "weird" sexual forfeit involving beer bottles during the party, which was arranged by the players, not the club.

While she was not involved herself, Graham said in a statement, taken on behalf of the club by a detective, that the game left her feeling sick.

Others were said to be disgusted, and at one point it is claimed a barmaid burst into tears and had to be comforted by one of the crew.

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11721020

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
great game to watch, but the Lions were playing like the Welsh at the end (little surprise there, perhaps) - losing their heads and taking a doomed kick at goal rather than getting it into the corner and trusting themselves to work the drop goal or the try from there.

not sure if that side will contribute even 3 players to the test team though. Stander for sure, and Warburton seems 50/50, but can't see any others among the starters....maybe Webb.

I'm really looking forward to all the games too, but a little worried that the tests won't be as competitive as i thought they might be. 2009 South Africa remains the benchmark in terms of excitement; can't immediately remember a sporting occasion more thrilling, let alone any rugby matches.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Luka, Craner, what'd you make of the First Test? From a Lions perspective I was disappointed how predictable it all was - the moments of requisite individual brilliance from the NH backs (Liam Williams, Jonathan Davies, Anthony Watson) given far too much weight by NH commentators who can't seem to see the obvious chasm in basic skills and overall team cohesion - off-loads! - between the All Blacks and the Lions, that will always decide the result. Also, the way the Lions switched off to allow that first AB try (and possibly the second too, in part)...seen it too many times before.

NZ 4 through 8 were stellar, best players on the pitch by some distance imo. Read and Kane in particular.

Gatland's selection highly suspect too. Itoje should start, Farrell should never be fly-half ahead of Sexton, and Elliott Daly is not Lions material when North can't make the squad.

this is still the best moment/try of the tour tho

Last edited:

luka

ran completely counter to expectations, not least mine.
the welsh lads mostly played great. the english not so much.kruis was poor. farrell looked
anything but world class even missing a kick while barrett nailed every single one of his.
davies and williams and to a lesser extent daly and watson,
looked superb beating multiple men on multiple occassions.
the lions scrum got pushed back 10 meters
and that was the moment their spirits were broken. physically they were dominated
where i honestly thought they were stronger than their counterparts. retallick and
read were incredible. the scrum and particularly
the rolling maul was anything but a weapon for the lions though at least
teo did a very good job on sbw.
not sure sexton would have any more joy behind an outclassed pack but you never know.
i enjoyed it a lot, but then i am half kiwi. i thought the lions first try was magical, better than the west try for the blues imo if only cos so much more unexpected.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Yeah, Farrell's missed kicks were unacceptable in the situation. I reckon Sexton, just from the pov that the Lions need a half back pairing with an understanding to get the backs going - bizarrely, and totally contrary to expectations, as you say, the Lions' trump card might just be the line-breaking ability of their backs, and they need to get them firing more often than on Saturday. George North replacing Daly too.

I'd say on Saturday's showing that Jonathan Davies was the only Lion who'd have even a chance of getting in the NZ team. He's one of those players who's eternally underrated. Maybe Liam Williams too, but hard to tell because he was clearly semi-concussed during the second half after the clash of heads (amazed the commentators didn't seem to notice that he suddenly had no depth perception, and it led to the third try)

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
didn't get to see it cos of work. probably will just watch the five mins of highlights in that case. losing a 17-31 lead in 5 minutes is pretty unforgivable.

Apparently Gatland also said that L Williams had a 'mixed game', failing to notice that the guy had a head injury and as coach he should have pulled him earlier. God I hope his sabbatical as Wales manager is permanent.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
They dropped Te'o, which leads me to believe the second test could be a massacre. Only thing preventing it might be the forecast of heavy rain.

luka

It's how i thought the first test would go minus the sending off. I just dont think its a great all blacks side. I think they're vulnerable up front and through the middle and too callow to cope with real pressure

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
they did look unusually deflated and wilting after murray's try - the shot of israel dagg with hands on hips as if to say 'what just happened?' isn't an image you associate with the ABs.

when the euphoria subsided, i still think the lions were poor for about 40 minutes of the game (is it a better Lions team than 2009/2013 - far from sure). Minutes 60-75 were stupendous though - if they can reproduce that, they have a chance of winning. When they play a running game, they look very dangerous (though Murray's passing at the beginning was quite bad, I thought - he redeemed himself). And some of the two-man tackles towards the end were awe-inspiring - Sinckler, Itoje, George and Lawes etc were finally playing at the level they need to be to win 15 v 15 next week.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
Missed all these games, have been asleep or battling hangovers every time they've been on, but I will make a special effort to watch the final test. The drama of it will be immense, even if it ends up being a shit game.

Thanks to Luke for giving me real time match reports via text while I've been comatose or suffering.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
You've missed some cracking entertainment in that case. I think the third test could live up to its billing - rare in sport that it happens, but I imagine both teams will try to win it through positive means rather than negative

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Weirdest atmosphere ever at the end of a match (of anything). "Is that it?" "Yeah, guess so" "I DON'T KNOW HOW I FEEL"

Why the fuck couldn't the rugby powers that be have suggested a fourth match next week? Pretty sure all the players would have gone for that. Paucity of thinking. Flights can be rearranged these days.

The Lions were lucky to be within 20 points by the second half, but could've won it had they not kicked away ball needlessly in the final 15 (Conor Murray and his pointless box kicks which resulted in losing 30 yards every time - Lions tactics were useless, as they failed to realise that it was with ball in hand that they could win). Odd all round.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
Did you not find it exciting, tense or dramatic at all? If not, you must be the most unflappable rugby fan in Britain and Ireland.

I thought it was fantastic.