Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The odius Niall Ferguson and his defence of Pinochet

Quote Originally Posted by scottdisco View Post
    i've long suspected Ferguson has a genuine, atavistic problem with Islam. in a digression in a Telegraph column of his once, he mentioned something that appeared to exercise him: the possible appearance of a minaret that might soon be enriching (that wasn't his take on it, of course..) the Oxford skyline.
    i bet the twunt never ventured down the cowley road (where said minaret has been complete for a couple of years) in his entire time at oxford.

of course, any fool know that east oxford is lower than town (built on marshes), so would have no effect on the dreaming spires.

thus, bigot works

This is probably knee-jerk, but I got the impression that Ferguson was a neocon insofar as Colossus and Empire are both somewhat partisan from the perspective of Anglo-Saxon power.

There was an op ed in the Times a few years ago in which he ripped into the Iraq war with the typical "neocon cable hijacked Bush" line - which I thought was very illiterate for an otherwise skilled and sensible historian. I think he's a Kissinger admirer - that is, in the opportunistic sense than the ultra-Morgenthau one. Makes him slippery. Slightly slippery face, too, if you ask me. Apologies: I can't find the article I refer to online. Colossus is a shit book, Empire is a fantastic book.

Quote Originally Posted by matt b View Post
    i bet the twunt never ventured down the cowley road (where said minaret has been complete for a couple of years) in his entire time at oxford.

of course, any fool know that east oxford is lower than town (built on marshes), so would have no effect on the dreaming spires.

thus, bigot works
    He was history tutor in my college and had rooms below mine in my final year. I treated him to jungle, hard techno and radio 4 all day long and into the night, must have sounded great filtered through the floorboards. Cunt used to wake me up revving his TVR every morning, so he deserved it.

you have so much time on your hands you can reread Empire?
    christ craner, your life is spiralling out of control.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Took about two nights. It's a relative potboiler. I'm reading a book right now called The Rise of American Democracy which is 800 pages long.

you should ashamed of yourself

Blimey, straight in at Number One in the neocon power couples chart

how disappointing...in my head i got niall quinn mixed up with niall ferguson....

"The history man and fatwa girl: How will David Cameron take news that think-tank guru Niall Ferguson has deserted wife Sue Douglas for Somali feminist?"

That's far too literal a headline...it's a disgrace with the wrodplay possibilities available.

Nice tattoo.

Wowww...that is so stylish. I am very impressed.

Ms Luscombe, a friend of Ms Hirsi Ali, said: ‘I think that is where they met for the first time. In all the years I have known Ayaan, she’s never had a boyfriend. She’s gorgeous, but with a fatwa, it’s tricky to find guys.’

According to sources within Ferguson’s influential circle of academic friends, he has made no secret of his relationship with Ms Hirsi Ali.

The British historian Sir Alistair Horne, with whom he is currently writing the authorised biography of Henry Kissinger, is said to know about the affair, as does Mr Kissinger. However a spokesman for the statesman declined to comment yesterday
    Hahaha, this is great prose!

Martin Amis should write this.

He is seen as a contentious figure in literary circles, prompting one rival historian to declare: ‘He has the kind of face you want to punch.’
    This is fantastic stuff!

"with a fatwa, it’s tricky to find guys."

I might just start up a T-shirt shop.

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    "The history man and fatwa girl: How will David Cameron take news that think-tank guru Niall Ferguson has deserted wife Sue Douglas for Somali feminist?"
    I told mi pal the news about Niall and she reckons that they are the Neo-con Lou Reed and Laurie Anderson....

http://twitter.com/chiggi/status/15039415641
    Michael Gove at #Hay speaks from audience and asks Niall Ferguson to help build a new history curriculum for UK schools.
    Sweet Jesus. Any history teachers in the Dissensus education massive? You're about to join the intellectual vanguard of imperialist revisionism