Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The odius Niall Ferguson and his defence of Pinochet

Can only think of one person more loathesome than Michael Gove: Niall Ferguson. I note Simon Scharma wanted a piece of the action too though, which is more promising, though he's a pretty irritating character too.

Perhaps this song is apt:

Thank you for the post, S5. There another exchange in the latest LRB. Thanks!

The odious Niall Ferguson is delivering another Reith Lecture on Radio4 right now, hamming it up as a neo-Darwinian robber-banker apologist. As if his purposeful mangling of evolutionary theory and economics together wasn't bad enough, listen to his delivery. Urgh.

I noticed he got a fairly generous (certainly very even-handed) profile in The Guardian the other day as a kind of trailer for this.

Ferguson has to know this (unless hes completely ignorant about the whole subject, which I guess has to be considered as a possibility).
    http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/201...?smid=tw-share

Enjoying all this I have to say

He got a fair walloping in the New Statesman the other day: http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/gd...s-obama-poorly

Ferguson has responded to Krugman's criticism with an excuse which boils down to "I didn't lie, I deliberately mislead my readers!".
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by stevied View Post
    "What accounts for the attention lavished by the American media on a huckster as vulgar and shallow as Niall Ferguson?"

This is a classic quote

TONF vs panjak mishra in LRB was so juicy.. love that shit

I was thinking about this thread the other day, specifically the stuff at the beginning about Cowley Road Mosque. There's a new Mosque being built in east Oxford near my girlfriend's house. It's made of the nice pale yellow local stone and one of the associated buildings (not the main part) has an almost neoclassical look about it. Well, neoneoclassical, I guess. So it looks like a recognizably 'Oxford' building while at the same time being very obviously a piece of Islamic architecture. Nicely done.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Just had an interesting meeting with a researcher and Ferguson came up. She's met him a few times and had some tidbits. Apparently his Oxford colleagues were all equally appalled by his move to popular right wing revisionism.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Just had an interesting meeting with a researcher and Ferguson came up. She's met him a few times and had some tidbits. Apparently his Oxford colleagues were all equally appalled by his move to popular right wing revisionism.
    He would have been my tutor had I read Modern History instead of what I did read.

My room in the third year was above his study. Let's just say he had a prolonged and detailed introduction, via his ceiling, to 94-95 jungle and hard techno, whether he liked it or not.

It was revenge for him waking me up most mornings by driving his ridiculous midlife crisis TVR into the quad outside.

John Gray was in the same college, in his bearded grump phase. I doubt they got on.

I think Ferguson is a very good historian though, despite all that. But then, I'm not a fucking marxist like you lot.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to HMGovt For This Useful Post:

From the same meeting (Im paraphrasing) - a very good historian who was excellent in his early work on economic history and is extremely clever, which makes his dangerous & poorly researched right wing apologetics for empire even more reprehensible.