loss (of material posessions)

zhao

there are no accidents
i recently lost everything in storage in the US due to the fact that i forgot to pay rent for a few months and did not realize their 3 months no rent = auction everything off rule. this means my collection of books and and art books - a few things not replaceable; my pretty great wardrobe (reminded of by the pieces of Tom Ford’s SS/09 collection posted by Guybrush); CDs; and all my photos from highschool and university years.

found out a couple of weeks ago and tell you the truth, the OUCH feeling didn't last more than an hour, before the loss actually started to make me feel a bit relieved: no longer have to worry about going back to LA to deal with it, and just the lightness which having less "stuff" gives you.

reminds me of the greatest story of this sort of thing i've ever heard: professor in art Uni who taught World Music Appreciation (a course which semi started my current and life long obsession), Joyce Lightbody (also a pretty well known artist), had traveled the world extensively for 10+ years recording indigenous music from all kinds of amazing places, and had amassed a giant archive of recordings that she was in the process of sorting out and talking to labels for eventual release. you know where this is going --- yep, all lost when her house burnt down (this was before digital backups were so cheap).

amazing. she described the feeling of seeing her house aflame, of the full impact of the loss hitting her later... compared to that me losing a closet full of designer clothing and a couple bookshelves of books is next to nothing.

you?

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
It's sort of strange to see this brought up...I'm on the verge of having to make a decision I never thought would be so difficult. Quite a few of my belongings (including a $2000retail synth and many expensive clothes and shoes that I loved, a vintage sofa that I bought from a specialty store and love, a bed) are in my Brooklyn apartment that's being sublet right now. All the books, stereos, and CDs/albums were retreived by someone else, so at least I didn't lose that. But I did have to leave abruptly with only the few suitcases I could pull myself and check on a plane.

I'm deep in Mohawk country and I'll probably be here until I move back to the island for school onto a campus. I don't want to have to drive a truck or van 7 hours both ways to pick these things up. It might even be cathartic somehow to start over completely, given what a shitty year I've had.

It's just strange because I've moved so many times in my life and never had a single reservation when it came to getting rid of most of my belongings. I've never cared about old clothes and random accumulated stuff. This is the first time I've even thought twice about it.

polystyle

Still , even after time brings the 'ouch' down ,
you will find a time when you wish you had the old photos, etc. - not everything , but some things.
When I moved up to NYC '78 , my stepmom decided to throw out everything of mine that was left in the house.
That really blew me out at the time, my mountain gear, cameras, mags, clothes and stuff all gone.
Not for any good reason, either.
But she was like that.

Through the other side tho' can agree lightening the load and trail behind you is not a bad thing ...

Anyway, you had no choice as it were, that itself probably shocked once learned what happened !

You'll get by Zhao , I bet - long as you stay Berlin.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
When I moved up to NYC '78 , my stepmom decided to throw out everything of mine that was left in the house.
That really blew me out at the time, my mountain gear, cameras, mags, clothes and stuff all gone.
Not for any good reason, either.
But she was like that.

Yeesh, losing stuff due to an accident or because of your own forgetfulness or something - or even having it stolen, I guess - is one thing, but having it deliberately thrown out by a (supposed) family member must be pretty fucking hard.

zhao

there are no accidents
Yeesh, losing stuff due to an accident or because of your own forgetfulness or something - or even having it stolen, I guess - is one thing, but having it deliberately thrown out by a (supposed) family member must be pretty fucking hard.

one of the things i will never, ever forget is when my mother threw out my entire, meticulously selected and kept comic book collection when i went away to university.

i had complete Todd McFarlane Spidermans, X-men # 182-present, complete Sandman, Arkham Asylum first printing, the list goes on. all in mylar bags with silver cardboard, 3 long boxes of immaculate, mint condition, carefully chosen and painstakingly collected books over a period of about 4 years ---- all in the fucking dumpster in one go.

not entirely sure but around the time those first x-men movies came out i could have gotten a pretty nice sum for the lot of it.

but in my mother's defense: she's not really human.

polystyle

Right Zhao, my stepmom -similar.
So far into her own Southern Baptist head and became victim of her own heart attack food in the end.
Fried chicken everyone ?