Alan Warner

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Whenever I meet new people, whether on-line or in real life, and I think there's any chance that they might be into books at all, I always take the opportunity to share the love of my very favourite author, and try to get some discussion going on him.

Anyone who has read him: I'd be interested in any opinions you had. Particular things that have been in my head - what did you think of the Movern Callar movie? Personally I thought it was awful, but perhaps it could be appreciated if you hadn't first read the book. What did you make of The Worms Can Carry Me To Heaven, was it worth the long wait and how did you adjust to the change in his style?

Anyone who hasn't read him: Do it! Now! :D

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Ooh, other questions/discussion topics that have occured to me:

Having just re-read These Demented Lands, I was wondering what are people's interpretations of the plot, ie what would they say 'really happened'?

Are you looking forward to the sequel to The Sopranos, and do you think it was a good idea for him to write it. Myself, I'm sure I'll read it as soon as it comes out, but still, I think he should have left things as they were. It seemed somehow true to the spirit of that novel to leave things a little open-ended, in many ways I don't want to know for certain what happened to those girls.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"what did you think of the Movern Callar movie? Personally I thought it was awful, but perhaps it could be appreciated if you hadn't first read the book."
I haven't read the book but didn't rate the film much either. Some good use of music and camera work at the start and a fairly interesting idea but it fairly soon ran out of steam and it was a bit of a chore to make it to the end. In fact, to be honest, I can't really remember what happened after they went to.. was it Ibiza?
The only one I've read is The Man Who Walks which an ex-girlfriend passed on to me only pausing to mention how much she had hated it. I thought it was pretty enjoyable though and had some good weird scenes (what was the sex thing with the egg and the ants?) and a nice, slowly dawning sense of the main character's twisted personality which, while not exactly original, was still quite effective. I seem to remember thinking that the ending was pretty good as well which is surprisingly rare. I guess a lot of people could be irritated by that "authentic" and nasty Scottish thing though.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Thanks IR. I think the resort is supposed to be on an unspecified part of the Spanish holiday coasts, Costa del Sol or perhaps Costa Brava. Yeah, I didn't rate the film very much because it seems to drift and lack focus - one of the great things about the book was that it, even when not a lot might seem to be happening in terms of plot events, it had this amazing intensity running through it. Perhaps that's the problem with transposing what is often a character's interior monologue into film, it's often going to seem silent and empty. They cut about the last third of the book out of the film too, which weakened it for me. Also, I don't think it worked with an English woman playing Morvern - which prob sounds racist or at least typically parochial coming from a Scottish guy, but one of the great things about the book was the sense of a woman who is both inside and outside her own community. It's important that she starts out as an Oban local, for her to then discover there is more to her than that.

As for The Man... I like it a lot, but it's probably my least favourite of his books. I think my problems with it were mainly to do with the 'nastiness' you mentioned; all of his novels are nasty to some extent, but here more than elsewhere it seemed very gratuitious, as if he was very keen to keep up a reputation for being shocking/edgy. I think it also had to do with the fact of all his previous novels having female protagonists, writing solely from a male perspective for the first time, he seemed to hype up all the tough, violent, angry aspects to emphasise the change, and it ends up with an unbalanced narrative. I do agree that the ending was great though, because it seemed cruel in an appropriate way this time: rather than a nastiness which you could revel in and enjoy, it just seemed to make everything the character had done before seem pointless and meaningless, which is a brave way for a book to end. It had that element of 'should have seen it coming, but I didn't', at least for me.
The whole authenticity/realness thing in his work doesn't bother me tbh, but that's most likely because I grew up in a part of the country very similar to the one he writes about, and so can identity with the situations presented, plus I did feel that prior to Warner that the modern West Coast life was very much under-represented in culture as a whole, so it's just a thrill to see it in novels. But, it is also a fact that all of his novels, especially after MC, have been very carefully and artfully constructed. So my view would be that you can't round the fact that the 'reality effect' is a big part of what people respond to, but there are lots of other more artistically self-conscious things going on in his work if that's what you're into.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Thanks IR. I think the resort is supposed to be on an unspecified part of the Spanish holiday coasts, Costa del Sol or perhaps Costa Brava. Yeah, I didn't rate the film very much because it seems to drift and lack focus - one of the great things about the book was that it, even when not a lot might seem to be happening in terms of plot events, it had this amazing intensity running through it. Perhaps that's the problem with transposing what is often a character's interior monologue into film, it's often going to seem silent and empty."
Fair enough. A lot of people seem to rate the film but I can't really see what they're getting out of it. I saw Samantha Morton doing a q&a when I went to watch Control and someone in the audience asked a question that began "Morvern Callar is my absolute favourite film..." which was quite a surprise to me - especially as my friend, on hearing that SM was going to be there, had jokingly asked me to ask her why that film is so highly rated.

"As for The Man... I like it a lot, but it's probably my least favourite of his books. I think my problems with it were mainly to do with the 'nastiness' you mentioned; all of his novels are nasty to some extent, but here more than elsewhere it seemed very gratuitious, as if he was very keen to keep up a reputation for being shocking/edgy. I think it also had to do with the fact of all his previous novels having female protagonists, writing solely from a male perspective for the first time, he seemed to hype up all the tough, violent, angry aspects to emphasise the change, and it ends up with an unbalanced narrative."
Didn't know that about his female protagonists (why would I?) but it's interesting. Wonder if he was trying to overcompensate on this one. OK, if I was to read another book of his which should it be?

jenks

thread death
Read them all but feel the last two have been much less interesting than Morven and Sopranos. Both felt like sub standard Nicola Barker novels (now there is someone to get excited about)

I remember really loving the Sopranos and almost feeling like it was a modern version of the Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (this is a high compliment).

Morven got me from the first page - the driving, the train set and snow, the unspecified vagueness that surrounds her. I once had to spend a few hours in Oban and that really added to my understanding of his world and its parochial nature and why his characters feel the need to break out from it. I liked the soundtrack to Morven very much - maybe the film was too intentionally cool to do justice to the novel?

I will be interested to see how the sequel pans out to The Sopranos - I seem to remember that there was going to be a film/tv series of it which never materialised.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Wooo, more responses!

IdleRich - It's a tough call, but I'd say go with The Sopranos. Probably overtaken MC as my all-time favourite of late.

Jenks - Yeah, if I had a penny for every time I heard a rumour about that Sopranos film.... I also heard a while back that Irvine Welsh was trying to get funding together for a Man Who Walks movie. Who knows if any of this will happen, I have my doubts. Agree that there's a definite break in quality between the first three books and the later two, but I do feel that Worms was something of an improvement from the Man. Never read Nicola Barker, will have to add her to my list.
*obligatory joke about 'a few hours' being all you would want to spend in Oban* ;)