"Worst Since WW2"

zhao

there are no accidents
not a happy post for the beginning of the new year, be warned.

had a dinner party last night and there was someone who works as camera man for the UN, just arriving in Berlin a few hours earlier, after being stationed in various parts of Africa for the past 8 years: mainly Uganda, Rwanda, and for the past 4 years, Congo.

a few hours before he got on the plane (i guess the day before yesterday?), a church where 400 children and some adult refugees were hiding was discovered by rival faction soldiers, and all 400+ were hacked to pieces with machetes, and thrown into the river.

a normal occurance, just another day in the Congo.

i knew that things have always been bad since (and before) the beginning of the second Congolese war, and after its "end", and that there have been recent escalations of violence, but i did know just how bad.

he told of child soldiers aged 7 to 17, acting in groups of 6 to a dozen: the oldest would be the leader, and the job of the youngest was to carry the cut off hands and feet of dead enemies. they would return to base at night, and would take out the body parts to show the commanders, like "here are 12 pieces, look how well we did." hoping to get a promotion, and/or more food, more drugs.

regularly he documents the aftermath of a battle, with hundreds of bodies strewn about, sometimes having been left in the sun for weeks. and on several occasions run ins with child soldiers, and having the nozzle of an AK47 shoved into his face, and the cold, empty, inhuman eyes of a 10 year old staring into his own.

all of this in a "garden of eden" setting: amazingly lush and breath taking gorgeous landscape. "one would have to be... blind or completely brain dead, to not see ghosts. because the landscape is literally soaked with blood."

a common belief is that if you eat your enemy, you acquire his powers. and the best way to get all of it is by eating him alive. so if they capture an officer, or even better, a white officer or captain, they would cut his stomach open, and eat his internal organs while he watches, dying.

the drug of choice for these children is a mix of heroin, sometimes cocaine, cut with gunpowder as an extender, mixed with a bit of water. the method of intake is to soak a piece of cotton with the mixture, and insert it into a slit cut into a cheek on the face, sealed by a bandage -- this way the dope slowly and steadily enters the bloodstream, and lasts all day, as they go out and do their thing. (not sure why the face is used and not, say, inner thigh).

he told of millions of people who have been moving from refugee camp to refugee camp, often several times a year, for the past decade or more. the lucky ones have a single cooking pot that they carry with them on top of the head. at each camp, they are given a piece of plastic and some wood/branches, with which they build a small tent/shelter, after clearing the ground of rocks with their hands.

the main objective for the many different factions, is of course to dominate pieces of land rich with mineral and other resources, mainly diamonds and the stuff that goes in cell phones. gaining control of territory and setting up mines can mean billions of dollars for the war lords -- every cell phone in the world has a piece from those regions, and every diamond -- the global economy is directly connected with what is happening.

"talk about 'how the other half lives'", he said.

some Congolese Rumba came on my randomized itunes play list, and he told of the smiles immediately lighting up African faces when they hear music, and immediately getting up to dance: it is the only good thing in life. and "similar to the culture of fashionable men with starving families who support their obsession with haute couture: entire villages will celebrate if someone brought back a Comme des Garçons jacket from Brussels -- it is one of the only happy things in their lives".

he told of a Dutch artist who made a project called "Enjoy Poverty", which involved him traveling around various parts and trying to explain to the local photographers how much the foreign journalists would make from a single photo of their misery, and that if they did the same...

the UN has called these wars and conflicts the "worst since WW2", and it doesn't even make headlines in the west or east.

someone threw out an equation, something like 100 African deaths = 10 Middle Eastern deaths = 1 European death to the news media.

and someone else commented that when he hears the endless reports about the Gaza strip and the jews vs. arabs thing, he's just like "shut the fuck up already." adding "of course there are many socio economic geo political reasons for the focus on the conflict in that region, but we need to balance it out a little bit with reports of things like what is happening in places like Congo.

"what is the answer to the question asked by a first world citizen: 'what can i do to help'?" "the only one is Not Much". of course there are cosmetic things one can do, but it can not amount to much of anything in the face of this kind of pandemic suffering. and most people really devoted to the cause, who volunteer in these places, soon see their own lives fall apart...

for me, any concept of "right" and "wrong" and justice and morality just fall apart like a house of cards in a tornado when i consider this, and especially how it is directly connected to the life of obscene luxury that i live.

had a hard time sleeping last night and am crying as i type this.

Last edited:

polystyle

I was also at a friend's about 2 weeks ago when a friend of his came over and she was just back from Congo , also working for the UN.
She was glad to be back , sure , but worn out, probably blown out by what she had been seeing and working with there ...
We may see something about it on CNN International, say , but it seems there are a few African 'end games' machete- ing there way at the same time in this terrible moment.
And yes, not the media coverage that Israel >< Middle east gets.
Most are barely aware of Africa.:(

scottdisco

rip this joint please
the 'Enjoy Poverty' project you mention Zhao definitely would rightly slap somebody like me in the face. remember seeing some MSF photo-journalism exhibition in Montreal recently and sure admission is by donation etc, but.. :(

reading this reminded me of Alice Auma/Lakwena, a relative of Joseph Kony.
she got lots of her fighters slaughtered when she

(also here.)

zhao

there are no accidents
the magnitude of this war and its daily death toll is exponentially greater than the israel/palastine conflict, yet it receives a tiny fraction of media coverage, mainstream and independent alike. and this thread on Dissensus has 3 replies in the months it has gone up.

would like to hear people's ideas of why this is. to get the basics out of the way:

• racism
• economic / political relative containment (not as much rides on it for America and Europe as middle east)
• the powerlessness people feel about it

• this one might be controverisal, but i think is a big part of the equation: it upsets people's investment in the idea of progress: that this level of brutal carnage is happening in today's supposedly enlightened world (largely perpetrated by children nonetheless) goes against all the ideas of the progressive decrease of violence in human history. a notion completely ludicrous in my estimation: that of the movement from a barbaric past toward a peaceful and "civilized" future.

(vimothy: my agreement with you on the decrease of violence in human civilization in the other thread was, even in the limited context of recent history, premature, and i am now taking it back)

Mr BoShambles

jambiguous
Agreed Zhao that the lack of coverage is shameful.

I/we have tried to examine the dynamics of the conflict from a political economy perspective in the Rolling Great Lakes thread [check it out] -- seems a bit daft to have two threads on the same niche topic don't ya think?

Anyhow, I think all the dimensions you list have a part to play in obscuring the conflict from wider coverage. However there is plenty of sources of info - academic and media alike - on the Congo if you'd like me to link to some. Or i can email you pdfs if you prefer.

zhao

there are no accidents
Agreed Zhao that the lack of coverage is shameful.

I/we have tried to examine the dynamics of the conflict from a political economy perspective in the Rolling Great Lakes thread [check it out] -- seems a bit daft to have two threads on the same niche topic don't ya think?

Anyhow, I think all the dimensions you list have a part to play in obscuring the conflict from wider coverage. However there is plenty of sources of info - academic and media alike - on the Congo if you'd like me to link to some. Or i can email you pdfs if you prefer.

oh shit i never clicked on that "Rolling Great Lakes" thread because i thought i was about the "great lakes" region of the United States, like Michigan, Ontario, etc... :confused: :confused:

i will be checking that out now that i know... and links and or PDF's would be great...

vimothy

yurp
(vimothy: my agreement with you on the decrease of violence in human civilization in the other thread was, even in the limited context of recent history, premature, and i am now taking it back)

But what do the data say? You can't make a judgement on global trends in violence based on the brutality of one war. Well, maybe you can, but I don't think you should.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
...yet it receives a tiny fraction of media coverage, mainstream and independent alike.

would like to hear people's ideas of why this is. to get the basics out of the way:

• racism
• economic / political relative containment (not as much rides on it for America and Europe as middle east)
• the powerlessness people feel about it

there's another question to ask - would the people of the Congo (or similar locations) actually benefit from increased coverage in the Western media? if so, how? I'm not saying they wouldn't, just that I'm not sure about it.

all 3 of those sources you name (tho I'm not as clear about racism) add up it not making sense, from Western media outlets' perspective, for them to devote a lot of resources to covering the Congo. there's also the question of here of what exactly the media's role is. If media outlets are firms whose purpose is selling news to ppl then it doesn't make sense to put out a product you know ppl aren't interested in. so...

...• this one might be controverisal, but i think is a big part of the equation: it upsets people's investment in the idea of progress: that this level of brutal carnage is happening in today's supposedly enlightened world (largely perpetrated by children nonetheless) goes against all the ideas of the progressive decrease of violence in human history. a notion completely ludicrous in my estimation: that of the movement from a barbaric past toward a peaceful and "civilized" future.

but how many ppl are really so unrealistic? having hung out w/a large # of green anarcho/primitivist types I'm well aware of this critique of the supposed narrative of the unbroken forward chain of progress & it mostly strikes me as a massive strawman. a variation on the theme of Kapitalism, named here History (or Leviathan in the words of Fredy Perlman).

scottdisco

rip this joint please
sorry Zhao i started the Great Lakes thread, i think i'd have put (Midwest) at the end if i was referring to my beloved Indiana/Illinois/Michigan etc
:D