Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Grand Theft Auto

Quote Originally Posted by luka
    i also credit GTA (in part) for turning american djs onto house and other dance music. my guess (possibly utterly wrong) is a lot of the posters on the low bee forum and associated sites came to dance music through this route.
    I think this is a bit skewiff.

The soundtrack to GTA isn't influencing people like the posters at the LowBee forum - it's being picked by people like the posters at LowBee forum. The people who call the shots in the games industry are around 25-35. Growing up with Big Beat, Backpack Hip Hop, Turntablism, Grunge, Rave (and the subsequent pop dance crossover)... pretty much covers all the bases for the music that crops up in the game. Although that's from a UK perspective I suppose, since GTA is a UK game.

If you're looking for people who have discovered old music through the games, you have to go to a younger age bracket I think - 15 / 16. Plenty of comments on Youtube along the lines of "I herd this on GTA its gr8".

It's certainly true that games are now seen as a way to fill the void left by declining music sales - didn't G'n'R do an exclusive deal which made some of their new material available first through Guitar Hero or a similar game?

There is an interesting piece in the current London Review of Books on video games...written by someone who does know a little about them but is older so its not the cultural river he swims in - more to the point though its directed at an audience unlikely ever to have played a game or know much about them.

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v31/n01/lanc01_.html

Touches a little on what is being discussed here...also good on the place of 'work' and 'play' in games.

yeah it is a uk perspective and thats not just an largely american/canadian board, its also primarilly a hip-hop board and as i understand it in those countries its not normal to listen to both, let alone play both out at clubs. but yeah, maybe it is too big a stretch. i assumed most people there would be about 23, so not too old i think....

Quote Originally Posted by Ness Rowlah View Post
    The in-game soundtrack to GTA IV is pretty impressive, they must have spent a fortune on getting the rights,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_T..._IV_soundtrack

[Edit: they would have been better off with RSI radio for the reggae station]
    Well I would certainly be open to offers.

There's been a thread on here before about Scientist sueing Greensleeves over the inclusion of some of his tunes on GTA, I think.

and losing. interesting case. decision was an engineer isn't the creator, regardless of the name on the album sleeve and the producer got the money instead. they included the whole of his rids the world of evil vampires......

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    how old are you Martin? you always seem strangely insulated from the world you live in. the only times i've seen you i've been reeling drunk but you look my age if not younger. surely you played streetfighter as a kid?
    well fucking thanks for that luka, i've built a blog about going out and interviewing people beyond "my world" so thanks for the par.

but no i havent played streetfighter, beyond about the age of 14 computer games dropped off my radar, as music crept in. i quite like them but they never grabbed me.
    Keysound, Rinse, blog etc

anecdotal:

my cousin who recently turned 18 has loads of mates in the 15/16 to 18 bracket, and loads of them are well into the GTA series, it's a proper musical education for them.

ah nah, not in a bad way, just in an intriguing way. i've just noted a couple of instances where you seem to have just discovered something which i would have assumed would be in the blood of a londoner of my age (29). eg, streetfighter 2 which came out when i was 11 and was the most played game around by a long way. (before console days remember) i just wondered why. and you're being modest i think. you seem to have built a career not a blog....

When I was into video games at school it was still seen as quite a nerdy/niche thing I think, it certainly wasn't a case of everyone owning a console. I lost interest in them quite a while ago, mainly because I wanted to spend all my money on music and weed/beer, and in that time they've become so ubiquitous... And there seem to be a lot more games slanted towards 'realism' (Call of Duty.. even GTA, allowing for its surreal humour, constant pop culture referencing etc.), which I suppose has made them seem more like credible alternatives to films (although again, a while ago realistic war games would have been seen strictly as geek-bait).

I wonder how this transition came about? The game which seemed to hook most people in around me was Pro Evo, which is still surely the game with least geeky associations... Anyway, having recently become addicted to a mate's copy of Gears of War 2, I think I'm going to get back into them.

Sorry I haven't addressed your question at all...

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    I wonder how this transition came about? The game which seemed to hook most people in around me was Pro Evo, which is still surely the game with least geeky associations...
    Everyone has a geeky part to them, everyone has a geeks obsessive knowledge of at least 1 subject. for most here it would be music. I'd say that football is pretty geeky. And for computer games, sports titles are the only type of game that has new editions released every year which are 90% the same as the last, and yet are still lapped up by the public

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    i think a lot of otherwise inexplicable phenomena can be explained by this game. temps t's flat top
    that hair cut is alot!

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    I wonder how this transition came about? The game which seemed to hook most people in around me was Pro Evo, which is still surely the game with least geeky associations...
    The ball started rolling with Wipeout on the original Playstation I think. It featured Leftfield and The Chemical Brothers on the soundtrack and Designers Republic artwork. Tomb Raider was also a turning point - Lara Croft was a game icon that wasn't a little cartoony sprite like Sonic or Mario.

Sony aggressively pushed the console in nightclubs and manufactured the current market for older gamers - people who perhaps played on a Megadrive or NES when they were young but stopped when drinking / going out became an option. The secret was making it socially acceptable to be a gamer beyond the age of 18 I think. Could never have happened if games still looked like Super Mario World, of course.

If you play something like Call Of Duty online on the Xbox now it very quickly becomes clear how much gaming has crossed over. Usually feels / sounds like you're playing against the meathead high school wrestling team rather than the nerdy Dungeons and Dragons club. It's just another competitive sport these days.

Quote Originally Posted by owengriffiths View Post
    Everyone has a geeky part to them, everyone has a geeks obsessive knowledge of at least 1 subject. for most here it would be music. I'd say that football is pretty geeky. And for computer games, sports titles are the only type of game that has new editions released every year which are 90% the same as the last, and yet are still lapped up by the public
    You're absolutely right about football - the number of hours I've spent in pubs silently listening in complete bemusement to intricate conversations about malaysian transfer windows and the entropic principles of offside throw-ins etc...

But football has always been a socially acceptable thing to be a geek about, hasn't it? I suppose it has its negative stereotypes (skinhead with a swastika cut into the top of his pie) but it seemed to me when I was into video games that people who were into them were seen as being antisocial hermits who were in all likelihood unable to spot their own nose amidst the pimples.

But, you know - kids nowadays, with their bloody square-eyes and rectangular faces.

hint - I'd forgotten about how the Playstation was marketed as being edgy and cool. I suppose the Lara Croft thing fed into the men's magazines/lad culture acceptance of video games generally as well...

I suppose the massive popularity of video games, and of the huge arguments people seem to be constantly having about which console is best, is also linked to the same sense of one-upmanship that motivates people in pubs to get out their absurdly sophisticated phones and start waving them in front of my face, yelling ''look! it can whistle! You can feed it grapes''

Sony were smart to properly market games to the over 20's. It's a bit strange for me as although I started in the Nes/ Mega Drive era, I was only 12 when the Playstation came out. So I missed that stage where once you discovered booze you put down the joypad. In fact booze & games make for a good combination it's hard to think that those born in the late 70's were so slow to realise this that Sony had to install playstations in Ministry of Sound & Miss Moneypennys to remind them.

Another grime videogame lyric for Blackdown:

everybody wants to look at my pad,
    I'm not talking about Mario Kart, its the music game, blood are you mad?