Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Grand Theft Auto

There's been a thread on here about video games influencing music...

Here it is: http://dissensus.com/showthread.php?...ht=video+games

One interesting thing about this is that eventually those who make music influenced by video game soundtracks won't be drawing on the simple/cheesy (but great) music of Sonic 2/Mario etc., but on the soundtracks of modern games - which I suspect are mainly divided between pop/electronic music ala GTA and grandiose orchestral music ala Halo. So there will come a time where music which explicitly draws on 8/16 bit games will lose that association for new listeners... in fact, I suppose that's already happening.

to me the phenomenon noted in this thread is indicative of a possible future where the different media that we know converge into new hybrid experiences/commodities. commodities which embody the various creative disciplines of the past. after all, that's what films are (literature, painting, photography, music), and of course video games.

commodities that will certainly be more interactive, and hopefully more generative as Eno outlined (no song sounds the same twice, etc.).

are there any histories of media along these lines of hybridization? Virilio's amazing account of the history of seeing -- The Vision Machine, comes to mind.
    Last edited by zhao; 03-01-2009 at 03:28 PM.

What people often forget about the Playstation is that their first year of advertising was fucking lacklustre. There were some stupid TV adverts that 'appealed' to the traditional 8-14 gaming market- I think it was called Society Against Playstation, it was a dire concept which had the odd bit of slapstick in it. It was many years before they got david Lynch to do the ads

Then they caught on to this idea that having a Playstation was as essential a purchase as having a video player under your TV. It wasnt a new concept either considering as the Nes was probably installed in just as many homes as the Playsation was in the 90's. But it was done in a more sophisticated way. it's significant that the Playstation era was the first to have game on CD's, a format a lot 'cooler' than cartridges & tapes, also associating the console with music. They reinforced this with the second console, which looked more like a hi-fi seperate than a games machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdown View Post
    i also think there's a tech question here too. isnt it the case that you cant easily crack/download computer games? whereas MP3s are everywhere. Surely when games do become easier to download than buy, these mega-sales figures will fall. that doesnt mean their influence will fall, as people will still play them, but their revenue might - and games arent something small indie players make and sell for small units (like music...).
    I'm afraid that's totally wrong, a glimpse at any of your favourite bittorrent trackers will reveal a top 100 downloads list stuffed with recent blockbusters and new games in nearly equal measure. Even consoles can be modded in various ways to accept downloaded games (at least the last generation could, not sure about xbox 360 / PS3 but if you can't do it yet you will be able to soon). Cracking computer games probably goes back as far as home taping.

Not got a massive amount to add, as I have never really been into games at all, a childhood with no consoles and then later the family computer being a mac has resulted in a major lack of nostalgia for them. I live in a student flat though and we have about 5 consoles under the TV so score one for ubiquity I suppose. Oh and one flatmate actually has one of the GTA soundtracks on (illegally downloaded of course) MP3. Not sure how much it's influenced his taste though.
    Last edited by 4linehaiku; 03-01-2009 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hint View Post
    The ball started rolling with Wipeout on the original Playstation I think. It featured Leftfield and The Chemical Brothers on the soundtrack and Designers Republic artwork. Tomb Raider was also a turning point - Lara Croft was a game icon that wasn't a little cartoony sprite like Sonic or Mario.
    (Revealing my age) I remember the Bitmap Brothers using a Bomb the Bass remix of John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13 for Xenon 2: Megablast on the ST in 1989, then using John Foxx to do the music for Gods a couple of years later.

They were the first coders to try & brand themselves as anything other than faceless geeks or maths geniuses (dark sunglasses & black leather jackets: coolest of the cool ) and their games were the first I'd seen that seemed to consciously tap into the huge ST & Amiga demo & electronic music scenes.
    ** pandemonium ad asbo **

Yeah I remember Bitmap Brothers. If you remember Magic Pockets, you'll remember the music was basically a Betty Boo instrumental .

As for cracks not being easy available, cracked computer games have been around far, far longer than MP3s. At school people used to use a program called X-Copy on the Amiga to copy cracked discs, kids used to swap them like football stickers (look at this for an example)

See here how they used to advertise state of the art computers in the 1980s. Awful!

"Now pause the movie cause what I'm about to say to y'all is so damn twisted, not only is there a man in his cabinet, but the man is a midget! MIDGET! MIDGET! MIDGET!"

amplesamples.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdown View Post

but no i havent played streetfighter,
    What?!?!?

you've never played street fighter?!? how?

"(Revealing my age) I remember the Bitmap Brothers using a Bomb the Bass remix of John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13 for Xenon 2: Megablast on the ST in 1989, then using John Foxx to do the music for Gods a couple of years later."
    I was just about to mention the Bitmap Brothers. All their games had noteworthy music I think or at least attempted to.

"And for computer games, sports titles are the only type of game that has new editions released every year which are 90% the same as the last, and yet are still lapped up by the public."
    Yeah, it's weird that. My brothers have playstations or something and I really only see them once a year at Christmas when they have the new football game and it will always be indistinguishable from the last one (to me). I'll question this and they will describe some minute difference but really it's incredible that EA can get away with such minor tweaks. I guess every time they think up two improvements they reason that there is no point in putting both of them in the next game as people will buy it if it only has one and they can put the other difference in the new game the folllowing year.

GTA has a new level of popularity amongst adults though. I know someone who was taking a week off work recently and when I asked what he was up to he said he was taking it to coincide with the latest version coming out so he could play that all day for a week (or was it two?).

there is always one big change, year to year, in football games and if you can't work out what it is and why its important then there's no hope for you.

It's the number after the title, innit?

Quote Originally Posted by CHAOTROPIC View Post
    (Revealing my age) I remember the Bitmap Brothers....
    They were the first coders to try & brand themselves as anything other than faceless geeks or maths geniuses (dark sunglasses & black leather jackets: coolest of the cool )
    Very true - I'd forgotten them. Leather jackets indeed!

"there is always one big change, year to year, in football games and if you can't work out what it is and why its important then there's no hope for you."
    If you mean hope of being induced to spend forty quid on something I've already got then I guess you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by 4linehaiku View Post
    I'm afraid that's totally wrong, a glimpse at any of your favourite bittorrent trackers will reveal a top 100 downloads list stuffed with recent blockbusters and new games in nearly equal measure. Even consoles can be modded in various ways to accept downloaded games (at least the last generation could, not sure about xbox 360 / PS3 but if you can't do it yet you will be able to soon). Cracking computer games probably goes back as far as home taping.
    yeah but really, nobody takes the time to do that. probably less than 1% of the people who know how to download music for free know how to download a video game and make it work for free.

my laptop can play playstation games now, but my mate had to show me how. and i think he's the only other person i know who knows how to do it. where as 90% of people i know could probably download the latest beyonce album or whatever like that. it's available, but it's not easily do-able.

I wouldn't say that, it's not as big as with music, but there's a massive computer games ripping community and i know loads of people who don't pay for games but play loads of them. They're the same people who don't go to the cinema but stream every new movie for free off ninjavideo.

Emulating console games on a PC is a bit more difficult though for sure, but that's different.
    Last edited by UFO over easy; 04-01-2009 at 03:59 PM.

i used to be big into arcade and video games when they were 16 bit (sf2, mortal kombat etc etc), particularly the nintendo but when everyone switched to the PS and xbox etc i totally lost touch. i might just need more practice but i never fully got used to the controllers with a million buttons on it. or all the ultra violent games. got a nintendo ds but thats for kids. games are way too easy. i do feel like im missing out though so might try and get my hands on a psp or something just to see whats happening. ive only played GTA maybe twice in my life.