Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Grand Theft Auto

"think gta is unique in the way it leaks into real life"

This happened to me the other day- turned a 90 degree corner far too fast and started driving on the right hand side of the road, before remembering I am a fucking 37 year old adult.

I'm well back into computer games

Oh this thread is in the music forum. Ahem:

I'm not impressed w/ GTA IV's music though- I only listen to The Journey or the Jazz station
    Last edited by matt b; 21-05-2009 at 01:32 PM.

The new GTA for the DS is pretty good, but the music is generally unforgettable and quite low in the mix anyway. I sometimes turn the sound off and play a CD instead. which incidentally is something I did all the time in the early 90's. Nirvana's Nevermind & Now vol. 27-31 toasted my favourite super nintendo racing game. I've tried to do this with modern games where you have the sound effects on and the music off, but it always sounds disjointed with one sound coming from the television and another from a hifi in the other side of the room. I think the Xbox lets you play MP3's over the games and I'm curious whether it works well.

Quote Originally Posted by owengriffiths View Post
    I think the Xbox lets you play MP3's over the games and I'm curious whether it works well.
    Yeah, you can do that on PS3- turn game music down and play your own music.

Sometimes struggles to play a whole album though, instead favouring a 'repeat one song' approach

I have to say, careening round liberty city at high speeds, creating havoc whilst listening to Duke Ellington is (despite initial reservations) a joy and one of my musical moments of the year.

I haven't been out much.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to matt b For This Useful Post:

reading the comments on this reminding me how formative the GTA series was on peoples tastes. GTA was like John Peel or something for a lot of people.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

One of the best things about GTA for me is just driving around the city listening to music. As a nondriver IRL this is the closest I can get, with the added bonus that it's in California, with a perfect pixelated sunset. And driving at night, beautiful.

Didn't really like the actual game that much though.

I read an article somewhere or other recently that theorised a connection between people's love of open world games e.g. skyrim with their actual inability to get out into the countryside.

Best game I've played in recent years has been SuperMario Odyssey. FYI

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdown View Post
    i also think there's a tech question here too. isnt it the case that you cant easily crack/download computer games? whereas MP3s are everywhere. Surely when games do become easier to download than buy, these mega-sales figures will fall. that doesnt mean their influence will fall, as people will still play them, but their revenue might - and games arent something small indie players make and sell for small units (like music...).
    emphasis mine. interesting how quickly things change ...