Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grand Theft Auto

Default Grand Theft Auto

seems to me theres two really visible influences among the youth/pop culture of the 00s. one is vice magazine which is just the face for a more affectless generation the other, much more potent pervasive influence is this computer game.
    it must be in more homes than any recent album or dvd or anything. and the amount of people who played it a fair bit would be even greater still. this game is presumably a foretaste of the future where games will routinely have greater cultural impact than any musician or filmaker or whatever.
    i think a lot of otherwise inexplicable phenomena can be explained by this game. temps t's flat top, the huge resurgance in NWA love among people far too young to remember it from the first time around, even the fact that every forum on the internet has an 80s r&b thread that runs to hundreds of responses (80s/early 90s revival time too but part of GTAs success comes from capturing that era anyway. )

if i wrote this at a different time of day it would be more conherernt but i think you lot can fill in any gaps for me..... just wanted to make the point...

Interesting.

The one I was never sure about - was that Sunglasses At Night remake done before or after the original was on Vice City? The soundtrack discs for that one certainly did generate an interest in all things 80s in our high school common room.

Sorry to burst your bubble but Im almost certain the song came out a bit before the game

but even the convergence itself is an indication of how spot on the games have been.
    when i first saw GTA3 round my mates house i thought the makers had done a deal with the devil, it was so amazing and im not even a gamer boy. never owned a console or anything....

*pop*
    Thanks for the info though.

The in-game soundtrack to GTA IV is pretty impressive, they must have spent a fortune on getting the rights,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_T..._IV_soundtrack

[Edit: they would have been better off with RSI radio for the reggae station]
    Last edited by Ness Rowlah; 03-01-2009 at 04:23 AM.
    Ness Rowlah

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    seems to me theres two really visible influences among the youth/pop culture of the 00s. one is vice magazine which is just the face for a more affectless generation the other...
    I reckon 95% of young people haven't even heard of Vice magazine. Part of the mythos they've built up is this idea that they're uber-influential, when in fact that's total bollocks.

nobody needs to have heard of you to be influential though. i think grand royal were pretty influential but how many people would have actually purchased it? the vice aesthetic is ubiquitous at the moment.

i also credit GTA (in part) for turning american djs onto house and other dance music. my guess (possibly utterly wrong) is a lot of the posters on the low bee forum and associated sites came to dance music through this route.
    i also think its far better and important and complex and witty than the wire or whatever else dissensus is waking about this week.
    Last edited by luka; 03-01-2009 at 06:32 AM.

i think games are undeniably a massive influence. Rampage were talking on 1Xtra yesterday about the top selling game of 2008 shipping 2million units in a weekend, whereas Ronnie Herel said the Beyonce album sold 70,000 units. (I assume they're UK sales only).

Either way when computer games are outselling albums by several orders of magnitude, it stands to reason that they have more influence.

When i was writing my piece on youtube grime videos, i was aware games were a massive part of the culture but the penny dropped as to just how many references were being made: Streetfighter (Dizzee), Crash Bandicoot (Wiley) and Spyro (Sir Spyro).

i also think there's a tech question here too. isnt it the case that you cant easily crack/download computer games? whereas MP3s are everywhere. Surely when games do become easier to download than buy, these mega-sales figures will fall. that doesnt mean their influence will fall, as people will still play them, but their revenue might - and games arent something small indie players make and sell for small units (like music...).
    Keysound, Rinse, blog etc

Either way when computer games are outselling albums by several orders of magnitude, it stands to reason that they have more influence.
    white bread and baked beans outsell beyonce not sure that means they have a greater cultural impact. i think gta is unique in the way it leaks into real life. i'm not sure you could make a similar claim for, for example, half-life or something.

how old are you Martin? you always seem strangely insulated from the world you live in. the only times i've seen you i've been reeling drunk but you look my age if not younger. surely you played streetfighter as a kid?

think gta is unique in the way it leaks into real life
    Wait a minute, isn't this the game that's all about murder, drugs and prostitution?

The world is doomed.