Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: chomsky vs buckley

just listened to the whole of the perele one.
    not sure what craner was on about. he's a bit of a dick when it comes to politics.
    i've never heard anyone get demolished in debate like that before. perle is utterly helpless/

perle has a nice way of speaking
    That's true -- a rich, smoky baritone, like an American Richard Burton. Perhaps, seeing as CBB is up and running already, Perle could do Jackanory instead.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    just listened to the whole of the perele one.
    not sure what craner was on about. he's a bit of a dick when it comes to politics.
    i've never heard anyone get demolished in debate like that before.
    I listened up to the end of part four, and I don't think that Chomsky had landed any punches by that point. Guess it all happens in the last two rounds.

gets going at part 6. chomsky is actually genuinely stunning. a real performance. perle flounders painfully. it becomes humiliating. perle starts yelling marxist like thingy did, the guy that obama was comepteting against.

thanks for the summary Luka.

i hear Lucy Pinder and Terry Christian are on CBB.

i believe Mutya Buena is too, and i must be frank: i have the hots for her, big time.

(sorry, this has nothing to do with Chomsky vs Perle.)

http://worldwarfour.blogspot.com/200...t-year-us.html

Craner mentions Perle here and i remember Luke and i being enthused with his cataloguing of his fellow rabidly crypto-fascist neo-con ideologues at the time.

i'd like Ledeen to go toe-to-toe with Chomsky.

droid Guest

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    I don't know why people don't prevail against Chomsky more often and more effectively, as he always strikes me as being rather easy to take down. So many of his statements in public debate are so utterely and flagrantly decontextualised and distorted that thay are worthless.
    LOL. Thanks for the laugh Oliver. I look forward to seeing your effortless demolition job.

In these debates, both Perle and Buckley offer little more than sneering affectations (and in Buckleys case - mild threats) in the face of Chomsky's relentless evidence based arguments.

'Decontextualised'? Sure, but theres only so much you can fit into this format. A criticism I would also agree with when it comes to many of his short articles and interviews. If you want to see the context you have to read his books and examine the reams of source material he draws his conclusions from.

Quote Originally Posted by Luka
    Chomsky is crushingly dull and his books are unreadable. However I suspect he is one of the Great Men of Our Time, such as they are. Perle probably isn't.
    I guess Perle could be one of the great men of our time, but unfortunately he doesnt fulfill the basic qualifications of humanity...

Since Chomsky became 'trendy', i think people have the expectation that his work will be somehow entertaining. Its not, and neither is it meant to be. Its dry academic political analyisis which requires work to get through.

yeah its true droid, its very very boring.

This is better anyway...

Until I saw that video, I could never decide if I thought Foucault was probably a dom or a sub.

Now it's all very clear.

I also want to tell Chomsky, we don't play the game, the game plays us!

I really want to believe that Chomsky in that clip is right about human nature being inherently creative and good, but shackled and distorted by the machinations of power. But I think I end up siding with Foucault's caution and pessimism. Who knows what an entirely new society would be like?

Ha didn't you love how Foucault gets all concern trolly when he starts to talk "I don't know if I can go as far as Mr. Chomsky"... The look in his eyes, he obviously thinks Chomsky is an idiot.

I wish they'd put the whole thing up.

Foucault's disdain beats Perle's boredom.

Yeah I can't really get down to Chomsky's essentialist humanism.

Chomsky vs Alex Jones ftw

Goes on a bit, but it basically ends with Jones calling Chomsky an imbecile and a NWO shill for supporting gun control.