Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: chomsky vs buckley

Default chomsky vs buckley

buckley is admirably pretentious/
    craner would say chomsky gets eaten alive here, make up yr own minds...

Funnily enough, I just finished reading this article. I don't know about WFB - he was obviously a very smart and energetic and talented individual, but his ultra-traditionalist Roman Catholicism made him sound a bit mad. His wife was great, though.

I don't know why people don't prevail against Chomsky more often and more effectively, as he always strikes me as being rather easy to take down. So many of his statements in public debate are so utterely and flagrantly decontextualised and distorted that thay are worthless. There's a debate with Richard Perle on youtube, in which Perle attempts, quite consisely, to explain that a State Department policy paper produced by staffers from one of the many Foggy Bottom departments in the mid-80s is not the same thing as Reagan Administration policy. Obviously true, but Chomsky's retort is, well, people involved in the Administration always claim to know more than those her weren't. Hardly high-calibre stuff. (Even more silly, as Perle spent most of his time at Defense in bureaucratic civil war with State.)

After this little exchange, you can see Perle's eyes glaze over and he simply sinks into morose boredom, allowing Chomsky to ramble on and on and throw his accusations and mild tantrums. This leaves the impression that he eviscerates Perle, even though he doesn't. But I think this is how he does it: by boring his opponents into submission.

i wish merely to draw attention to the starkly terrifying teeth-baring of buckley. its truly deepy sinister. watch and quail. that is no ordinary smile.

Apparently Nancy Reagan had the hots for him.

Also David Niven was his big buddy.

he reminds me of kenneth willaims a lot. is that the right name? the carry on camping one....

Listened to Perle vs Chomsky last night. Very funny, at least for a bit. Chomsky droning on spuriously about a few random documents that apparently prove everything from America's imperial ambition to Regan's mass murder (he killed more people than Pol Pot)! Perle, dignified but weary, annihilates him. Got bored after that.

Chomsky is crushingly dull and his books are unreadable. However I suspect he is one of the Great Men of Our Time, such as they are. Perle probably isn't.

Perle's still the 'prince of darkness' though, isn't he -- he needs to rehabilitate his rep via some kind of public humiliation on Celebrity Big Brother.

not sure he'd ever take a leaf out of galloways book.

"I'm a boring speaker and I like it that way. I doubt that people are attracted to whatever the persona is... people are interested in the issues, and they're interested in the issues because they are important."

But Richard Perle in a cat suit would pull in the viewers, and establish his humanity. (I should do PR). Got to be better telly than that execrable tit Sherridan.

Quote Originally Posted by swears View Post
    "I'm a boring speaker and I like it that way."
    Worked for Ginsberg. I bet he got laid all the time.

perle has a nice way of speaking. sticks to generalities though. i do think he comes off a fair bit worse.

Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    But Richard Perle in a cat suit would pull in the viewers, and establish his humanity.
    Or establish his lack of it.

Got to be better telly than that execrable tit Sherridan.
    Tommy S is going on CBB? Christ, he really is Gallowlite. Why isn't he in jail yet?