What are you writing?

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
I only just saw that luka posted all those instagrams... I apologise, I must make time to read them soon

Came in here to talk about eradicating bad habits in my writing, prompted by happening upon this post by yours truly:

'I think this is OTM, insofar as I find it hard to accept that people living in poverty in the UK are not better off than they would be living in poverty in India, say, and that's because I assume they still have access to clean water, heating, and even TVs/phones. It's easy to assume that society as a whole is affluent because of these gizmos (and relative to other countries, the UK is affluent, one assumes).'

'Assumes' is a word I use too much. 'Obviously' is another. Help me napalm my prose style!

luka

You know what I’m like. I want to be different.

I am trying to establish a connection to the starry outside, that huge black thing that goes on forever.

What’s needed is a line of communication. Earth is too small for me and the gravity gets me down. My brain is so huge and exquisitely structured that only an alien intelligence from a highly advanced civilization could really understand me and make me laugh. A lady with silver skin that is always completely cold. Imagine me, it’s very poignant, so lonely on this world, sending beams of thought and intention into outer space, and receiving nothing in reply. The stars watch but don’t whisper. Not to me.

Doom steers me. I open my heart to
Them. It’s not just a performance. I wanted to get away. Bane. To run, just laughing, and the body full of joy. But it’s strange sometimes and I feel I’ve lost something, the warmth of myself, close at hand, right there, an intimate thing, like holding hands. That’s what despair is like. The distances
are very long.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
You know what I’m like. I want to be different.

I am trying to establish a connection to the starry outside, that huge black thing that goes on forever.

It's a mystery to me why you don't dig Lovecraft. Is it his florid prose that puts you off, or the fact that it's "for nerds" (e.g. Mr. Tea)?

luka

it's my 1st anniversary down at the thames with a typewriter. if youre down bankside today
say hello.

version

I can't write, it's too difficult. I just end up with a weak imitation of whichever writers I'm into at the time. I think part of the problem is that you have to actually have something to write about and can't play about in the same way as you can with something like music. You have to have definite words and things you want to get down.

luka

this is what i do with my days
not bad for 2 minutes work even if i do say so myself

luka

I can't write, it's too difficult. I just end up with a weak imitation of whichever writers I'm into at the time. I think part of the problem is that you have to actually have something to write about and can't play about in the same way as you can with something like music. You have to have definite words and things you want to get down.

pick. puck. peck. peek. pack. pock. pox.
keel. cale. coal. cool. coo. coup. coot. cleat.
clash. clack. clique. cleave. clan. clap. clog. clod. cloth.
kith. kin. kip. pith. puff. pique. peck.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I like the way you can find me in threads all over this subforum trying to grasp the rudiments of poetry like a caveman being taught algebra

version

pick. puck. peck. peek. pack. pock. pox.
keel. cale. coal. cool. coo. coup. coot. cleat.
clash. clack. clique. cleave. clan. clap. clog. clod. cloth.
kith. kin. kip. pith. puff. pique. peck.

Point taken, but I was talking about writing something more traditionally linear and structured.

luka

yes but you start by playing around. getting a sense of the weight of words, the sounds, the relationships, first.