Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: soca

I'm proud to say at this Toronto's Caribana this year, the day's anthem was far and away Donaeo's Party Hard remix. The Caribbean loves this tune. It's not really soca, but the soca enthusiasts don't seem to care at all.

Default Palance

this one has (deservedly) been all over twitter lately.

Last edited by carmen; 15-01-2012 at 03:44 AM.

Last edited by carmen; 15-01-2012 at 03:40 AM.

Ok, checkin out that bouyon soca, pretty interesting:

Last edited by baboon2004; 13-12-2010 at 12:58 AM.

hmm... can anyone recommend a digital 'store' for soca btw ? as in with a good range, reaching back a few years, and decent all around/artists getting a good share of the sales ?
    c.

yep that shit is bananas. Jab Jab soca. It came out on a 12" not long ago from new label Blank Mind

http://boomkat.com/vinyl/450817-adri...m-no-prisoners

im loving these stripped down soca beats

Last edited by carmen; 15-01-2012 at 03:55 AM.

I also rate "Palance" (of course) & some of the bouyon (still getting my head round who to look out for bouyon-wise but Benz is OK & there's one on soundcloud by GWC Ghost just called "More Bouyon" that I really rate even though it's obviously unfinished).

Some other relatively obvious soca faves & tips, some of which are ancient, like 80s-stylee -

Arrow "Hot Hot Hot" (still getting a lot of messages when I played it on my net radio show last carnival time, can't deny such a massive tune)
    Explainer "Lorraine"
    Mighty Sparrow "Big Belly Man"
    Mighty Grynner "Stinging Bees" & "On De Route"
    Director
    Colin Lucas "Dollar Wine"
    Pepe Kalle "Roger Milla" (african soukous, but close in style, I always associate it with the soca stuff)
    Kalabash "A Hot One (Coming Up)"
    Ras Iley "Spring Garden On Fire"
    Anslem Douglas "Who let The Dogs Out?" (the original & a quality tune, unlike the various covers)
    Rupee "Jump"
    Tallpree "The Grave The Jail The Hospital"
    Bunji Garlin "Licks"
    Nigel & Marvin "Follow DE Leader" (original again - note spelling - a slightly hamfisted edit of it is on the main UK CD single if you look in charity shops - I am pretty sure now that this is the version I heard around the time being played at a squat party techno night, mixed in - having only heard the hashed remakes at that stage, I didn't realise it was the original & presumed it was some banging remix, its that manic!)
    Invasion Band "Trinidad"
    Lovey "Bitein Incex" (I think this is a cover but I can't remember who did the original)
    Iwer George "Gimme Ah Bligh"
    Maximus Dan "Soca Train" (this is on that Honest Jons comp, which I can never listen to all of as I keep rewinding this one)
    Trini Jacobs "Wine Behind De Truck"
    There is also a good manic soca remix of Pon De Floor on soundcloud
    Lavaman "Psycho" & Skinny Fabulous "Monster" (Smoked Food riddim)
    Sergie "Doh Tell Me Nothin" (my soca tune of last year)/QPid & Ricky T "Shake" (Mosquito riddim)
    Hance "Mash Up Fete"
    P'tani Bra "Rock With Bra"

I have also noticed theres loadsa "Vinny" (ie St Vincent) soca around, which seems to be mainly throwbacks to the big road march-type tunes, if you don't like the slower dancehally ones someone mentioned above, although I guess the Vinny touchstone is Kevin Lyttle's "Turn Me On".

I only twigged fairly recently, but soca splits into 'groovy soca' (the slow stuff) & 'power soca' (the manic stuff), which helps when yr looking for tunes...

I am aiming to play a buncha this stuff in the Love Shack at Solfest in August, if anyone is there!
    Last edited by philblackpool; 26-07-2013 at 12:46 AM.