luka

Grime garage
Spiritual homes: Bow in east London; Croydon; the internet; radio stations broadcast from scary tower blocks.
Musical influences: raving, Playstations, hand-rolled hydroponic cigarettes.
Key accessory: a mean-looking crew of mates.
Anthem: Ground Zero by Wiley.
In the cities and suburbs of the UK, a sound is being created so new that no one yet knows quite what to call it. Young kids with access to cheap and simple music-making software (sometimes even on Playstations) are blending the dancefloor funk of UK garage with the bass-heavy rawness of drum and bass, the spacious rolling syncopations of R&B and dancehall/ragga, and the futuristic gleam of electro.
While more fashion-orientated clubbers are still obsessed with rigid, retrograde 1980s-influenced music, a tight underground network of ravers, producers and distinctively British rappers, linked by websites and pirate radio stations, is rapidly evolving the lithe, "grimy" sound of the future.
Dizzee Rascal is the highest-profile proponent of the new British urban sound, but his ex-colleague in Roll Deep Crew, producer and MC Wiley Kat looks ready to follow his success with an album due in the spring. Two female rappers, Shystie and Lady Sovereign, are also being tipped for success following their joint appearance on The Battle by Medasyn, aka Gabriel Olegovitch – a young producer who has already remixed Christina Aguilera and Lil' Kim. A less MC-centred substrain of the sound is centred around a club night called Forward in central London and – somewhat bizarrely – the suburban sprawl of Croydon. Producers such as Plasticman, Horsepower, Hatcha, Sheffield's Oris Jay and Mancunian Mark One are all knocking out endlessly varying instrumental permutations on what variously has been called "grime garage", "eight bar" or "dubstep" to a small but dedicated cadre of obsessive listeners.
Although most "grime" records have thus far been aimed at DJs only, get ready for this uncompromising, mind-bogglingly inventive UK sound to break into the mainstream in 2004.
Joe Muggs

luka

Wonky, Mongrel Music, or whatever this
explosion eventually becomes, is not going
away and so neither is this debate

luka

"I missed the beginning of jungle. I knew about it, and my old schoolmates were all over it, but getting it blasted on the crap stereos of their mums’ cars and on Dave from Romford’s tiny tape player, all I heard was a chaos of clatter and gunshots and distorted MCs and stop-start mixing. "

Joe muggs. Music writer. Graduate of Sussex university

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
moronic thread and moronic debate. the nuum as overarching concept was dead by 2007 anyway. eventually you branch off into so many continua that it becomes impossible to say which is the authentic one.

Obviously, in 1997 this was easy. UK garage counterposed to neuro dnb. But look at the way this place went into meltdown in 07-09. this proves that the continuum as concept had exhausted its historic mission. Not that Joe's perspective rectified this, just ended up at an its all good maaan anarchism.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
UK funky is part of a grime continuum if anything, which probably climaxes with UK drill. Now we have the UK drill continuum which might evolve in separate directions. One has to look at the beginnings of the end. For the hc continuum, that was garage and grime. Dubstep in this sense is part of the hardcore continuum only in virtue of it being a direct descendent of 2steps sonic world. Grime was a complete rebellion against shirts'n'shoes garage crew. In this sense, dark 4x4/breakbeat garage (not of the el-b kind) has more in common with grime as a rebellion against that soundworld. El-b is abstract 2step, as Grievous angel would put it.

sus

I've just had a Twitter encounter with this Joe Muggs character... nasty, brutish personality, can't speak for the man

sus

He was recommending jungle choons to a friend of mine. I considered intervening with harsh words or reprimand but couldn't think of any cutting remarks

Leo

he's obnoxious and annoying and likes some artists and genres that I don't care about, but does know a thing or two. I imagine his jungle recommendations wouldn't be horrible, were they? dare I say, his writings have occasionally turned me on to some good things.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
he's obnoxious and and annoying and likes some artists and genres that I don't care about, but does know a thing or two. I imagine his jungle recommendations wouldn't be horrible, were they? dare I say, his writings have occasionally turned me on to some good things.

he actually recommended an @Pearsall mix - so gus stop bighting the hand which feeds you for the love of Boris' soggy underpants.

• Haha
Reactions: Leo