Cooking tips and wonderful flavour combinations

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Any recommendations for what to do with fennel bulbs, chicory or kohlrabi? They're all things I can now buy cheaply at any time of the day or night, so I feel I should be taking advantage...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Gruyere cheese in omelettes. Put some ham or whatever in there too. I put mushrooms, but fry the mushrooms in olive oil seperately before you put them in.

Seriously gruyere improves omelettes like 200%.

another omelette idea - chili, parmesan, ginger and garlic.

Lichen

fennel braised in vermouth

slice the bulb
douse in vermouth (own brand gear is very cheap)
cook in the oven at medium temperature for 45 mins or so

viktorvaughn

slice the bulb

Yeah this is really nice. I have done it with supermarket sherry and it's also nice. Perfect if you are roasting a chicken or some pork belly and the oven is already on - just stick it on the bottom shelf.

I also like fennel raw cut really fine. If you dice it and mix with raw celery and raw carrot and dress with a strong mustard dressing it's like a crunchy, muscular non-greasy coleslaw.

If you make bangers and mash fry some fennel till really soft in a separate pan and add a dash of balsamic at the end of the cooking and pour all that over the mash. Sublime!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

slice the bulb

I've got this in my head to the tune of Front 242's 'Headhunter'...

One: you braise the fennel -
Two: you slice the bulb;
Three: you slowly douse in vermouth...
and Four: you cook in the oven at medium temperature for 45 mins or so

*du-dun dun-dudduh, du-dun-dun dun dun-dun dun*

Last edited:

Krasner

Any recommendations for what to do with fennel bulbs, chicory or kohlrabi? They're all things I can now buy cheaply at any time of the day or night, so I feel I should be taking advantage...

Chicory and Fennel are both great braised in a variety of different ways. Fennel also works well roasted, its brilliant add to you standard selection of roast veggies, great for roasting alongside meat (slow roast belly pork with fennel = WIN). A good recipe for a simple pasta sauce is just roast some fennel with onions and garlic, pour in a little white wine, reduce a bit, add creme fraiche, some chopped parsley & grated paremesan then liquidise.

I once tried to recreate some stuffed kholrabi in a cream sauce i ate in Hungary. It turned out pretty well, I can attempt to recollect the recipe if you like.

Client Eastwood

I also like fennel raw cut really fine. If you dice it and mix with raw celery and raw carrot and dress with a strong mustard dressing it's like a crunchy, muscular non-greasy coleslaw.

!

I like the concept of coleslaw but dont like salad cream/mayo but Ill be giving this a try.

jenks

thread death
I always stick finely sliced raw fennel into a greek salad -think I nicked this off Nigella when she used to do Vogue's cooking column in the early nineties. I then don't bother with cucumber as things can get too soggy.

I also marinate the red onions in olive oil, pepper and red wine vinegar for a couple of ours in the fridge - gets rid of that nasty tang raw onions can bring to the mix.

Eat this a lot in the summer - especially if the local cheese shop has great feta in. Often just with new pot but if we've got some of those skinny lamb chops it goes down very well.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Omlettes: chilli, fresh coriander and spring onion. Maybe serve it with a spash of soy or sweet chilli sauce.

Thanks for the fennel advice! I've also used a delia recipe to stuff halved red peppers with chopped tomato and fennel bulbs, which came out nicely.

nochexxx

harco pronting
Herschell Gordon Lewis's Blood Feast recipe

bloodfeast.jpg

ingredients: body parts of 7 young girls + 1 girl for live altar sacrifice.

sever body parts from each victim
-brain, leg, arm, tongue, hands, heart, one eye-

place in pot, boil for 7 days, reduce to simmer, season as required.

serve after beheading live victim on alter.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Spicey Omlette

Fry garlic, chilli, onion
Add curry powder (or ideally Garam Masala and Tumeric)
Throw in a chopped tomatoe
Add eggs
Done

I can reaffirm that ginger works really well in most omelette contexts. Had one with mushrooms/onion/garlic at the weekend, and the addition of grated ginger and lemon juice/rind lifted it to another level. Seriously good.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I also marinate the red onions in olive oil, pepper and red wine vinegar for a couple of ours in the fridge - gets rid of that nasty tang raw onions can bring to the mix.

Sounds a good idea. The trick I learned from Moro books is (where they're being used raw, obv) to leave red onions in milk (reduce astringency) and ice cubes (crisps them up). Tried it once, works pretty well.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Does anyone have any good ideas of what to do with miso concentrate, other than just making miso soup with it? Which is great, of course, but I feel I'm not exploiting it to its full potential.

I know this comment is about 10 years old, but I just bothered to look at this thread for the first time. I've used miso as a kind of base for a bunch of stuff with varying degrees of success.

I would definitely recommend eggplant and miso. Fry up some garlic and ginger, chuck in some fat cubes of eggplant. Stir in some miso paste and let it do its thing. I usually add a bit of water and cover til it's done.

Leeks + miso is another goodie, done in a similar way.

No idea whether it's overdoing it, but I really enjoy these combos with a bit of sesame oil or freshly toasted sesame seeds.

Lots of great stuff in this thread - why do I always stick to the Music forum!?

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I made a pretty decent salad the other day, goes wicked with a burger.

chop up a couple avocados into cubes
put in a bowl with some chopped bacon (cooked), some sour cream (about half a cup), and green onions, maybe a squeeze of lemon if you want.
scoop onto a leaf of red leaf lettuce.

oh another revelation: chopping up a small amount of red onion (raw) and mixing it in with mashed potatoes. woiiii-oiiii!

Last edited: