Cooking tips and wonderful flavour combinations

viktorvaughn

inspired by viktorvaughn's brawn and pigs head photos over at the offal thread, i decided to up some 'cola duck' photos. no way near as sophisticated nonetheless minimal simplistic gastronomics is always worth noting.

l_09196d6512a747a08b49ae8a83cea087.jpg

l_a763e6b059f54ec8bcda8c493c27bbdf.jpg

Wicked!

So one duck, some coke and some soy sauce and boil away? does the ducks fat render out?

nochexxx

harco pronting
l_cc23a6a517664e61817d986be50a2694.jpg
Photo15.jpg

chuck a duck in a pot
(you could try pouring boiling water over the duck beforehand to make the skin crispy, i'm not 100 % sure it makes a difference tbh)

add around 2 cans of coke and a bottle of light soy sauce (size of soy is dependent on size of your bird) and a splash of dark soy sauce.

cover with lid and cook on medium heat with lid on for around 40 minutes to an hour.

the fat renders into the sauce and the coke caramelises into a thick gravy.

really is simple but it is easy to overcook the duck, so depending on size cooking time will vary.

pictures please! i'm starting a collection, i've already had one sent (i.e the one with the cat).

nochexxx

harco pronting
oh yeah it makes sense to cook skin side down cause that's where the fatty parts are at. also fliping over half way through is not such a bad idea.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Thanks for the recipe - I'm trying this on Friday if I can find moderately-priced duck. Have got the most umami-tastic soy sauce to hand as well. Looking forward to this.

Sprinkling rock salt over to make it crispier?

Ah - http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=28201 Good ol' jamie. His expedition to a Native American reservation was fist-in-mouth viewiing,, but he sure got cookery nous.

Last edited:

nochexxx

harco pronting
Thanks for the recipe - I'm trying this on Friday if I can find moderately-priced duck. Have got the most umami-tastic soy sauce to hand as well. Looking forward to this.

Sprinkling rock salt over to make it crispier?

cool, pictures please !

personally i wouldn't rub salt as duck is already very salty.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
It's on the stove! Takes a while, doesn't it? Think it might be fearsomely hot too. Thanks for the offer of allspice, that's very kind. I had to try a few places but I found some in the end. Had to use mutton too because the goat meat the butcher had was frozen, but I might make it again soon with all these ingredients lying about and next time it'll be a proper "GOAT CURRY!!!"

How was it?

PeteUM

It's all grist
How was it?

Aw man, it was good. As a crap ex-chef I can vouch for this recipe because I didn't expect it to be quite so tasty, but it seems to have been pretty foolproof. It wasn't as punishingly hot as I'd feared, the meat was tender and when I went to season it I found it just didn't need anything. It was a bit juicy so I would have reduced it a bit more but it was after 9 and I was hungry. Definitely going to make it again, so thanks for the tip. Recommended!

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
Tried a few places for allspice today, to make a lamb shank stewy curry dish from Levi Roots' (of reggae reggae sauce fame) cookbook. Went to two African & one Asian groceries/supermarkets and none of them had any of the bleeding stuff. Will I be able to get a hold of some at one of the massive Tescos or similar?

Also gonna give curry goat a try in the near future, but need to locate the goat meat first. Probably gonna be more of a trial than this allspice business.

EDIT: Ah, looking back over the thread I see this recipe is the Levi Roots effort. I got the cookbook from Waterstone's for8 quid or something, the lamb curry recipe is particularly good. I'll type it up here if there's any interest.

Last edited:

PeteUM

It's all grist
Tried a few places for allspice today, to make a lamb shank stewy curry dish from Levi Roots' (of reggae reggae sauce fame) cookbook. Went to two African & one Asian groceries/supermarkets and none of them had any of the bleeding stuff. Will I be able to get a hold of some at one of the massive Tescos or similar?

Also gonna give curry goat a try in the near future, but need to locate the goat meat first. Probably gonna be more of a trial than this allspice business.

EDIT: Ah, looking back over the thread I see this recipe is the Levi Roots effort. I got the cookbook from Waterstone's for8 quid or something, the lamb curry recipe is particularly good. I'll type it up here if there's any interest.

You'd have thought Glasgow could provide if Cambridge could but maybe not. I saw some suggestion on the net that Tescos do them, but you can definitely get them on Ebay!

If you can be arsed with typing I'd probably have a go at that lamb curry...

cobretti

Does Dissensus approve of cookbook piracy?

Ingredients said:
30g/1oz Butter
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
400g can chopped tomatoes
2 sprigs of thyme
1 bay leaf
2 cloves
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
salt and pepper
900g/2lb lean lamb, cut in to 3cm chunks
200ml chicken stock
400ml can coconut milk
150ml double cream
2tbsp lime juice

1. Wash the meat and pat it dry with kitchen paper.

2. Melt the butter in a large, lidded casserole dish - or you could use a Caribbean duchy pot. Soften the onion and garlic in the butter. Add the tomatoes, thyme, bay leaf cloves, nutmeg cinnamon and seasoning. Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.

3. Add the lamb and cook for 3 minutes, stirring. Add the stock, coconut milk and cream. Cover, bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 2-2 1/2 hours, until the meat is completely tender and cooked through.

4. Add the lime juice, cook for another minute or two and check for seasoning.

He suggests serving with rice and peas, but I'm pretty shit at cooking rice as it is, so I usually get a boil in the bag effort or nip to the takeaway 15 mins before the curry's ready and get some chapatis and boiled rice (sacrilege).

What's good about this dish is how easy it is to make, and after cooking for so 2 hours or so the lamb should be perfect; not tough in the slightest but not too soft either. You should end up with a fairly creamy consistency, and you can add a chilli or two at the start if you'd prefer a bit of spice. Either way, great tasting dish that will easily serve you and 3 others.

mos dan

fact music
just bought some Nduja from borough market, after trying some and being blown away by how good it was:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2009/jul/28/nduja-sausage-ingredient-italy

i am SO excited about this. It's kind of like salami, but very soft -you can spread it on bread - and made with pigs head and lots and lots of chillis. the guy i bought it off recommended mixing it with cream for a pasta sauce. that's my weekend pretty much sorted.

thank you so much for this tip off, nduja looks amazing. it sounds a bit like sobrasoda? if i've spelt that right? like a thick chorizo-esque pork and saffron meat paste almost. i've only ever spread that on bread, rather than cook with it, but it's bold and rich and very addictive.

anyway another dissensian troops off to borough market lol.

would also like to try cokeduck. duck crowns a fiver at dalston sainsbury's atm..

luka

me and craner saw robert wyatt at borough market once. he was unattended. we could have stolen him.

PeteUM

It's all grist
Made this last night. Wasn't quite such a sucess as the goat curry recipe but I cut a few corners so maybe that's why. The lime juice at the end certainly lifts it into a new realm. The kids I was feeding made a pretty good effort with it though so that's a good sign in terms of general eatability. Yeah, cheers!

Cooking goat curry for the man Nochexxx tonight. This board gonna smell of curry soon...

Does Dissensus approve of cookbook piracy?

1. Wash the meat and pat it dry with kitchen paper.

2. Melt the butter in a large, lidded casserole dish - or you could use a Caribbean duchy pot. Soften the onion and garlic in the butter. Add the tomatoes, thyme, bay leaf cloves, nutmeg cinnamon and seasoning. Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.

3. Add the lamb and cook for 3 minutes, stirring. Add the stock, coconut milk and cream. Cover, bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 2-2 1/2 hours, until the meat is completely tender and cooked through.

4. Add the lime juice, cook for another minute or two and check for seasoning.

He suggests serving with rice and peas, but I'm pretty shit at cooking rice as it is, so I usually get a boil in the bag effort or nip to the takeaway 15 mins before the curry's ready and get some chapatis and boiled rice (sacrilege).

What's good about this dish is how easy it is to make, and after cooking for so 2 hours or so the lamb should be perfect; not tough in the slightest but not too soft either. You should end up with a fairly creamy consistency, and you can add a chilli or two at the start if you'd prefer a bit of spice. Either way, great tasting dish that will easily serve you and 3 others.

Sorry, that was Cobretti's lamb curry recipe upthread. Dunno what happened there...

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Made this last night. Wasn't quite such a sucess as the goat curry recipe but I cut a few corners so maybe that's why. The lime juice at the end certainly lifts it into a new realm. The kids I was feeding...

That's some dark shit, man.

cobretti

Continuing the Levi Roots/Caribbean theme, I made Caribbean lamb shanks the other night, they were bloody r8. Lamb rubbed with allspice, salt & pepper browned in the frying pan, chucked in to the pot with softened onions/garlic/carrot, deglazed the frying pan with red wine & beef stock, popped that in the pot along with cinnamon stick, bay leaves, tomato puree, scotch bonnet chillies & sweet potato. Put the lid on and placed it in the oven for 2 and a half hours. It was fantastic.

I also learnt to cook rice properly :D

http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/Amazing+Horse/