Cooking tips and wonderful flavour combinations

mos dan

fact music
What's sumac? It sounds like a character from Deep Space 9. Or a very fat, dead, Japanese rapper.

Sumac.jpg

This spice comes from the Mediterranean and Middle East, from the berries of a wild bush (although there are many varieties all over the temperate world). It is an essential ingredient for Arabic cooking, favoured over lemon for sourness and astringency.

available from majority of turkish-owned shops in 'ackney :)

Leo

don't mean to horrify the vegetarians here but...is there anything that's NOT improved by adding some bacon?

don_quixote

Trent End
white cabbage, black pepper and bacon, with a dribble of cream. yum yum yum.

realise that's tried and test and a bit of a gut buster, but YUM.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
On a blue cheese tip, try adding some crumbled-up roquefort or mature stilton to scrambled eggs as you cook them. It's possibly my favourite breakfast thing ever.

Mr. Tea OTM is my two c. scrambling well-seasoned eggs with stilton (and diced peppers or vine tomatoes) is a none too shabby brekkers.

out of the many dark beers that go well with dark chocolate, the Californian micro-brew Old Rasputin Imperial Stout or the Belgian Hercule are my pals.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
great thread. big up baboon2004 and everybody!

something viktorvaughan said was bang OTM on putting nutmeg in their mash that they learnt in Belgium.

Stoemp is a dish in the cuisine of Belgium and the Netherlands. It consists of pureed or mashed potatoes, other root vegetables and can also include cream, bacon, herbs or spices.
The name of the dish sometimes includes the kind of vegetables inside it, for example wortelstoemp (wortel= carrot).

very, very good.
do try at home.

luka

bread roll
fried egg
cheese
pineapple slice
beetroot
lettuce
tomato
tomato sauce
mayonassise

thatsw a good combination.

viktorvaughn

I'm going to make a soup tomorrow - soak a load of white kidney beans (whatever they are, butter beans would also be nice) to soften. fry onion and garlic and add beans and cook then blitz. Then drizzle in a load of sauce made of green pesto mixed with olive oil. That's it!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
On the bean theme, cannellini beans with chorizo and mroe paprika and mushrooms in a tomato-garlic-onion sauce (might as well add juniper berries too) is a winner.

Goat's cheese and honey - winner. As with feta and honey.

S

simon silverdollar

got this one from the ottolenghi cookbook:
grilled aubergines + basil leaves + pomegranate seeds + greek yogurt that you've added saffron & garlic to.

it's so, so nice. turns out saffron and pomegranate are perfect for each other. for this alone, ottolenghi is a genius.

oh, and on that 'what to have with black pudding?' tip...fresh broad beans + a bit of parsley work great.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
a great cold pasta salad for the cooler months (fusilli is superb because the smaller ingredients get in among its spirals) is with sliced button mushrooms, pesto, and add seeds you like, toss that in as well.

grate a cheese like a parmesan and maybe a little drizzle action.

viktorvaughn

I flippin adore broad beans. such a fresh green taste.

onion/spring onion and garlic fried with some cut-up tomatoes and fresh red chilli. scramble some eggs in, pour over olive oil and have with pittas. amazing.

S

simon silverdollar

one ingredient i'm really keen on at the moment is sherry vinegar. makes things like soups and stews taste kind of deeper, and more comforting.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Does anyone have any good ideas of what to do with miso concentrate, other than just making miso soup with it? Which is great, of course, but I feel I'm not exploiting it to its full potential.