Page 2 of 110 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooking tips and wonderful flavour combinations

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    Oh,a nd if anyone has tips for what to do with black pudding. I've just been frying it with....pomegranate molasses.
    chop and combine with chorizo... add some beans of your choosing, and some onion/leek/peppers/tomatoes/whatever... the spanish morcilla (i.e. black pudding) is used in these kind of bean stews a lot. goes great with chorizo.

brilliant thread btw!!

- rice w/ sumac and butter;
    mmm. when i moved to dalston i bought loads of turkish ingredients and a turkish cook book.. still only tried a few things from it, but i already know i love sumak on... most things, actually.

sumak and black pepper on cheese on toast is a great way to finesse the taste

What's sumac? It sounds like a character from Deep Space 9. Or a very fat, dead, Japanese rapper.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 19-01-2009 at 06:15 PM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    What's sumac? It sounds like a character from Deep Space 9. Or a very fat, dead, Japanese rapper.
    i dunno but i want some!

Brilliant thread.

This spice comes from the Mediterranean and Middle East, from the berries of a wild bush (although there are many varieties all over the temperate world). It is an essential ingredient for Arabic cooking, favoured over lemon for sourness and astringency.
    available from majority of turkish-owned shops in 'ackney

pete um to the thread! where can i get some sumak bro?

don't mean to horrify the vegetarians here but...is there anything that's NOT improved by adding some bacon?

Um...Ready Brek?

white cabbage, black pepper and bacon, with a dribble of cream. yum yum yum.

realise that's tried and test and a bit of a gut buster, but YUM.

On a blue cheese tip, try adding some crumbled-up roquefort or mature stilton to scrambled eggs as you cook them. It's possibly my favourite breakfast thing ever.
    Mr. Tea OTM is my two c. scrambling well-seasoned eggs with stilton (and diced peppers or vine tomatoes) is a none too shabby brekkers.

out of the many dark beers that go well with dark chocolate, the Californian micro-brew Old Rasputin Imperial Stout or the Belgian Hercule are my pals.

endive and crab.

great thread. big up baboon2004 and everybody!

something viktorvaughan said was bang OTM on putting nutmeg in their mash that they learnt in Belgium.

Stoemp is a dish in the cuisine of Belgium and the Netherlands. It consists of pureed or mashed potatoes, other root vegetables and can also include cream, bacon, herbs or spices.
    The name of the dish sometimes includes the kind of vegetables inside it, for example wortelstoemp (wortel= carrot).
    very, very good.
    do try at home.

The Dutch also do sugar sandwiches, so who can doubt their culinary expertise?

The Dutch also do sugar sandwiches, so who can doubt their culinary expertise?
    This was clearly invented by some guy who'd just got home from one of Amsterdam's 'coffee' shops.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you