mayonassise

thatsw a good combination.

cheddar and pickled onions

beer and salt and vinegar crisps.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    cheddar and pickled onions

beer and salt and vinegar crisps.
    Oldies but goodies, no question.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

I'm going to make a soup tomorrow - soak a load of white kidney beans (whatever they are, butter beans would also be nice) to soften. fry onion and garlic and add beans and cook then blitz. Then drizzle in a load of sauce made of green pesto mixed with olive oil. That's it!

On the bean theme, cannellini beans with chorizo and mroe paprika and mushrooms in a tomato-garlic-onion sauce (might as well add juniper berries too) is a winner.

Goat's cheese and honey - winner. As with feta and honey.

simon silverdollar Guest

got this one from the ottolenghi cookbook:
    grilled aubergines + basil leaves + pomegranate seeds + greek yogurt that you've added saffron & garlic to.

it's so, so nice. turns out saffron and pomegranate are perfect for each other. for this alone, ottolenghi is a genius.

oh, and on that 'what to have with black pudding?' tip...fresh broad beans + a bit of parsley work great.

a great cold pasta salad for the cooler months (fusilli is superb because the smaller ingredients get in among its spirals) is with sliced button mushrooms, pesto, and add seeds you like, toss that in as well.

grate a cheese like a parmesan and maybe a little drizzle action.

I flippin adore broad beans. such a fresh green taste.

onion/spring onion and garlic fried with some cut-up tomatoes and fresh red chilli. scramble some eggs in, pour over olive oil and have with pittas. amazing.

simon silverdollar Guest

one ingredient i'm really keen on at the moment is sherry vinegar. makes things like soups and stews taste kind of deeper, and more comforting.

Does anyone have any good ideas of what to do with miso concentrate, other than just making miso soup with it? Which is great, of course, but I feel I'm not exploiting it to its full potential.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by simon silverdollar View Post
    one ingredient i'm really keen on at the moment is sherry vinegar. makes things like soups and stews taste kind of deeper, and more comforting.
    It's amazing! Even at those rubbish chain tapas places, the sherry vinegar is always sublime. Must get me some of that while I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by viktorvaughn View Post
    I flippin adore broad beans. such a fresh green taste.
    i made some broad bean 'hummus' once that was quite good. Must've been with garlic, lots of lemon juice, and....i don't remember

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    i made some broad bean 'hummus' once that was quite good. Must've been with garlic, lots of lemon juice, and....i don't remember
    Any beans mashed with nice stuff is generally a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Does anyone have any good ideas of what to do with miso concentrate, other than just making miso soup with it? Which is great, of course, but I feel I'm not exploiting it to its full potential.
    Miso with stuff in? Wilt some nice green leaves, put some noodles in, peas. Could be a really refreshing soup.

2 tablespoons orange-juice concentrate
    1 tablespoon light miso paste
    1 teaspoon rice vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
    1/2 cup canola or grape-seed oil
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 bunch chives, minced
    1/2 red bell pepper, seeded, cut in 1/4-inch dice
    2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped coarsely

Instructions
    Combine the orange-juice concentrate, miso, vinegar, and Tabasco in a bowl, then gradually whisk in the oil to emulsify. Just before serving, season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the chives, red bell pepper, and mint. (Published 2000)