Cooking tips and wonderful flavour combinations

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
one ingredient i'm really keen on at the moment is sherry vinegar. makes things like soups and stews taste kind of deeper, and more comforting.

It's amazing! Even at those rubbish chain tapas places, the sherry vinegar is always sublime. Must get me some of that while I remember.

viktorvaughn

Does anyone have any good ideas of what to do with miso concentrate, other than just making miso soup with it? Which is great, of course, but I feel I'm not exploiting it to its full potential.

Miso with stuff in? Wilt some nice green leaves, put some noodles in, peas. Could be a really refreshing soup.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
2 tablespoons orange-juice concentrate
1 tablespoon light miso paste
1 teaspoon rice vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1/2 cup canola or grape-seed oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 bunch chives, minced
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded, cut in 1/4-inch dice
2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped coarsely

Instructions
Combine the orange-juice concentrate, miso, vinegar, and Tabasco in a bowl, then gradually whisk in the oil to emulsify. Just before serving, season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the chives, red bell pepper, and mint. (Published 2000)

mos dan

fact music
one ingredient i'm really keen on at the moment is sherry vinegar. makes things like soups and stews taste kind of deeper, and more comforting.

the ingredient i've been keen on for most things in the last year or two - but especially for anything meaty - is dry sherry. fino or amontillado or similar - only £5 a bottle in sainsbury's usually, and it enrichens everything it touches. great to slap on a roast, or just fry some chopped up sausages in, with garlic natch.

apparently the andalucians used to use it for cooking in the way the french use wine - and in (hot, arid) southern spain it was often cheaper than water.

Lichen

Vermouth is a white wine infused with herbs....Martini is a Vermouth I think.

Sherry takes its flavour from the barrel, I believe.

Fennel baked with Vermouth is lovely.....a good chicken poached with a hefty splash of Vermouth and carrots,pots, fennel, leeks is great too.

don_quixote

Trent End
what to have with black pudding is almost certainly more black pudding. and get some proper black pudding with proper lumps of fat and have it on the barbecue in the summer. it is unbelievable. it gets SUCH a crust and goes all goey on the inside. it is a delight.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Broad beans, onion, bacon, white wine and pernod as a tapas style thing is pretty deadly.

This man speaks the truth, right there. That shit is the shit's shit. There's a few versions but that's basically it, and it's the fucking bollocks. And I wouldn't even let a broad bean in my house up until the point I'd tasted it. Our parents, our schools, they lied to us. Broad beans are nice.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
I think comte is an underrated cheese, in the U.S. at least. So is picante provolone, the real kind, sharp and dry. I once went to a party where we had stilton and port wine, both were pretty good but I got an instant migraine.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
re: black pudding

if you find yourself in a fishing town or something where you can get scallops that don't taste of rubber and don't cost £1000 each, there's an amazing recipe which is basically scallop salad with crisply fried pancetta and black pudding crumbled over. very posh, real delicate and summery

want to go back to the scottish islands again so badly now

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I once went to a party where we had stilton and port wine, both were pretty good but I got an instant migraine.

Reflex pharmageekery: were you on MAOIs at the time? Port and mature cheeses are both notoriously high in tyrosine.

Last edited: