Page 4 of 111 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooking tips and wonderful flavour combinations

Any beans mashed with nice stuff is generally a winner.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foul_Madammas

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Ramses II of Egypt is known to have offered 11,998 jars of beans to the god of the Nile.
    So it would have been a round 12k, but he got peckish and gobbled a couple while waiting for said god to appear.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by simon silverdollar View Post
    one ingredient i'm really keen on at the moment is sherry vinegar. makes things like soups and stews taste kind of deeper, and more comforting.
    the ingredient i've been keen on for most things in the last year or two - but especially for anything meaty - is dry sherry. fino or amontillado or similar - only 5 a bottle in sainsbury's usually, and it enrichens everything it touches. great to slap on a roast, or just fry some chopped up sausages in, with garlic natch.

apparently the andalucians used to use it for cooking in the way the french use wine - and in (hot, arid) southern spain it was often cheaper than water.

Is vermouth smiliar to sherry? I often use that with frying up livers and bacon - seems to work well.

Vermouth is a white wine infused with herbs....Martini is a Vermouth I think.

Sherry takes its flavour from the barrel, I believe.

Fennel baked with Vermouth is lovely.....a good chicken poached with a hefty splash of Vermouth and carrots,pots, fennel, leeks is great too.

Quote Originally Posted by simon silverdollar View Post
    oh, and on that 'what to have with black pudding?' tip...fresh broad beans + a bit of parsley work great.
    Broad beans, onion, bacon, white wine and pernod as a tapas style thing is pretty deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by nochexxx View Post
    pete um to the thread! where can i get some sumak bro?

Shit, I had 4 hours to kill in Stoke Newington the other day. I reckon that would have been a good place to start. Next time I'll have a look.

Cool thread!

what to have with black pudding is almost certainly more black pudding. and get some proper black pudding with proper lumps of fat and have it on the barbecue in the summer. it is unbelievable. it gets SUCH a crust and goes all goey on the inside. it is a delight.

Quote Originally Posted by Slothrop View Post
    Broad beans, onion, bacon, white wine and pernod as a tapas style thing is pretty deadly.
    This man speaks the truth, right there. That shit is the shit's shit. There's a few versions but that's basically it, and it's the fucking bollocks. And I wouldn't even let a broad bean in my house up until the point I'd tasted it. Our parents, our schools, they lied to us. Broad beans are nice.

I think comte is an underrated cheese, in the U.S. at least. So is picante provolone, the real kind, sharp and dry. I once went to a party where we had stilton and port wine, both were pretty good but I got an instant migraine.

re: black pudding

if you find yourself in a fishing town or something where you can get scallops that don't taste of rubber and don't cost 1000 each, there's an amazing recipe which is basically scallop salad with crisply fried pancetta and black pudding crumbled over. very posh, real delicate and summery

want to go back to the scottish islands again so badly now

Quote Originally Posted by nomadthesecond View Post
    I once went to a party where we had stilton and port wine, both were pretty good but I got an instant migraine.
    Reflex pharmageekery: were you on MAOIs at the time? Port and mature cheeses are both notoriously high in tyrosine.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 22-01-2009 at 12:49 AM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by nomadthesecond View Post
    I think comte is an underrated cheese, in the U.S. at least. So is picante provolone, the real kind, sharp and dry. I once went to a party where we had stilton and port wine, both were pretty good but I got an instant migraine.
    comte rocks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Reflex pharmgeekery: were you on MAOIs at the time? Port and mature cheeses are both notoriously high in tyrosine.
    HELL YEAH. Jesus I tripped out on some cheeses in my time.

Quote Originally Posted by mistersloane View Post
    HELL YEAH. Jesus I tripped out on some cheeses in my time.
    http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=70980