Cooking tips and wonderful flavour combinations

viktorvaughn

I thought there was a spice made from dried powdered pomegranate skin which i have had on the table at a kurdish place and you can sprinkle it on anything...maybe that's sumac?

Client Eastwood

I thought there was a spice made from dried powdered pomegranate skin which i have had on the table at a kurdish place and you can sprinkle it on anything...maybe that's sumac?

There is one made from pomegranate called anardana that is used in Indian cooking which is lemony tart and a little hot. How that combination comes out of a pomegranate is beyond me. I think sumac is something else.

nochexxx

harco pronting
so today i bought a rabbit, anyone know a nice and simple way to cook this beast?
i was about 5 years old the last time i ate wabbit.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Spooky time shit going on here.

What I discovered recently:

Lemon juice as last minute addition to, say, leek and boursin risotto. Quite unbelievably transformative. Does the same job in lentil soup.

Marinated anchovy/broccoli/oil/lemon juice/garlic/chili flakes sauce for pasta.

Last edited:

nochexxx

harco pronting
Have you consulted The Wasp Factory?

But seriously

http://www.haddonstuff.f9.co.uk/rabbit recipes.htm

this all looks good and along similarly white wine lines.

lol

thanks for the link, i'm going to cook this later.

Rabbit stew - slow cooked with full flavours

From Anna Gauci on Burke's Backyard website. Serves two if you're hungry, four if you're not

1 rabbit, cut into pieces oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 cup green peas
salt to taste
2 dessertspoons tomato paste
1 dessertspoon vinegar
1 cup water

Heat a little oil in a frying pan and add rabbit pieces, turning to seal in the juices. Remove rabbit and place in saucepan.
Add onion and garlic to the frying pan and cook for a few minutes before adding curry powde
Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well.
Pour over the rabbit in the saucepan, bring to the boil, cover and cook over a low heat for one and a half hours.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
With the garlic browned?

What I did was to fry 4 garlic cloves in olive oil until they browned, then discard (or eat whole, cos I'm weird like that).

that rabbit dish sounds good. I might grab some at Smithfields tomorrow for the weekend.

Client Eastwood

oh yeah, stay one stay ahead of the corriander revolt thanksto that lovejoy bloke and use fenugreek leaves in your curries instead. tastes like a stronger version of rocket. kind of peppery. edit : esp yellow lentil daal.

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
lol

thanks for the link, i'm going to cook this later.

Rabbit stew - slow cooked with full flavours

That looked pretty good, rabbits I've bought in the UK tend to be hung so they've got that gamey thing going on, which isn't something I like too much so anything involving currying the bunny I think would be good.
If anyone knows (or if Sick Boy can shoota me one and Fed-Ex next day) a place where I can get fresh rabbit that hasn't been dead for ages I'll be eternally grateful. They don't do that with bunnies in Spain or France, it really annoys me that they do it here.

nochexxx

harco pronting
i thought wabbit would be a good thing to eat during this economical downturn, it's local, in abundance and is very cheap. £3.50 for locally tail caught wabbit.

anyway i got it home and found had to butcher the thing, which i found quite horrific. the recipe above works well, although i reckon slow cooking 11/2 hours may not be enough. my rabbit was wild so it was schwarzenegger lean.

Lichen

mistersloane;175956l. They don't do that with bunnies in Spain or France said:
Rabbit is farmed on the continent so the meat is less lean.
Hanging game tenderises it as well as giving it that controversial tang.

viktorvaughn

good butchers can do both types of rabbit. wild is so much darker and does have quite a strong taste. you can get farmed ones here too - they are bigger and flabbier and milder and more expensive.

last wild one i cooked had lead shot in! i think casserole with strong flavours is the way forward. something like -

brown the meat well.

cook onions and garlic.

put in wine, carrots, leeks etc and rabbit and cook for ages...

viktorvaughn

new fave ingred - ham hocks!

amazing. you need to cook them for quite a while, but the stock they make is unreal when reduced a lot till stickyish. if you do them in a stock then remove and allow to cool while the stock continues to reduce you can then shred all the meat off them, fry up some onion and garlic, add the stock and peas, blitz, add the meat and some whole peas and fried crispy bacon on top and you have the nicese pea and ham soup going.

also ham hock pie with sweated leeks, cream and wholegrain mustard with some ham stock added.

nb - can be salty, might have to soak for a bit beforehand or give a quick boil. really economical. 2 can feed 6 people and they are about 1.80-£ each.

jenks

thread death

amazing. you need to cook them for quite a while, but the stock they make is unreal when reduced a lot till stickyish. if you do them in a stock then remove and allow to cool while the stock continues to reduce you can then shred all the meat off them, fry up some onion and garlic, add the stock and peas, blitz, add the meat and some whole peas and fried crispy bacon on top and you have the nicese pea and ham soup going.

also ham hock pie with sweated leeks, cream and wholegrain mustard with some ham stock added.

nb - can be salty, might have to soak for a bit beforehand or give a quick boil. really economical. 2 can feed 6 people and they are about 1.80-£ each.

Best to soak them over night, throw the water away, cover with cold water, bring to boil and throw taht water away - then do the cook the hock - agreed on the whole ham and pea soup. also really nice with big fat puy lentils, and, of course cold with fried new potatoes and an egg.

I often cook the hock with the usual stock ingredients (carrot, celery, onion, garlic, bay leay, peppercorns but no salt) so that it's ready for whatever i require it for.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.

Wow - that sounds magnificent. So you can pick up ham hocks at most butchers?

And jenks - puy lentils defintiely make life a better place.

viktorvaughn

Jenks that sounds great with puy lentils! Yeah they do need a good saok - first one i ever did i din't soak and the soup was very salty.

It is really nice meat, very dark red and looks wicked in a creamy pie in big chunks.

Baboon i guess you can - i'm spoiled by my butcher which is amazing (theobolds on theobold st if your in London?). I think they are one of those old classic cuts of meat that have become neglected (but maybe coming back) but give wicked eating. Tastier than a watery tastless 'prime' pork chop from a supermarket.

The more i cook meat the more i become obsessed with having some bone or joint in there for stock making and flavouring purposes. When i was ill in bed i read Hugh FW Meat book, there are about 150 pages just talking about meat before you even get onto recipes! Well good.

Made a terrine from scratch the other day with rabbit and pigs trotter (for the gelatine) - fun to make but not actually that nice in the end, though it looked very cheffy.

Here's some ideas from my google reader -
http://dinnerdiary.org/2009/03/25/pea-and-ham-soup/
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/recipes/article2063855.ece ( this is nice but too complex, you can dumb it down a bit)
http://dinnerdiary.org/2009/03/09/pork-hock-and-butterbean-stew/
http://helengraves.co.uk/?p=786
http://helengraves.co.uk/?p=782

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Yeah, I'm two minutes from Smithfields and two minutes from Clerkenwell Road, which is the same eventually as Theobald's Rd I think...

May make a pilgrimage there next week - any other cuts you recommend picking up while I'mt here?