Cooking tips and wonderful flavour combinations

Bangpuss

Made those a while back...i thought they were nice, but I wasn't overwhelmed, thought it needed something extra (but couldn't tell you what).

Ottolenghi's butternut squash and tahini dip is my fave recipe by him that I've tried. Amazing.

Need to learn how to make good eastern European potato pancakes with marjoram and caraway...anyone got any tips cos I always seem to buy inappropriate potatoes that go watery...maybe need to squeeze the water out first, but not sure of best way to do this?

I went to that Polish restaurant/canteen in the Elephant and Castle shopping centre almost a year ago to the day for a friend's birthday. While most people thought it was shit, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The potato pancakes were delicious, as were the sausage/burger type things in gravy. I'd highly recommend going there for Polish potato pancakes. Very cheap, about £5 for about seven of the fuckers.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I went to that Polish restaurant/canteen in the Elephant and Castle shopping centre almost a year ago to the day for a friend's birthday. While most people thought it was shit, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The potato pancakes were delicious, as were the sausage/burger type things in gravy. I'd highly recommend going there for Polish potato pancakes. Very cheap, about £5 for about seven of the fuckers.

Yeah, I eat there most times I'm in E&C, but not had the potato pancakes as I recall. Will try them next time; determined to learn to make them too...

Mamuska is fairly good for the price I think - been to a lot of worse places for more money in London, def.

viktorvaughn

Have you ever eaten at Ottolenghi's? There are three in London, I believe. He seems to be very popular at the moment. I'm fortunate to be staying about two minutes from his Islington joint, and while I've never had a meal there, some dinner guests did bring some cakes from Ottolenghi's, and they were the best cakes I've ever had. His pastry chef deserves a knighthood. They're really cheap as well, about £2 for a big cupcake-type thing.

I've had a (very nice) coffee and cake at the Angel one yeah. The piccadilly one (NOPI) looks very dear/overpriced so i'm not sure I'll head to that. Small plates so you end up spending 30£ + i imagine easily.

viktorvaughn

Yeah, I eat there most times I'm in E&C, but not had the potato pancakes as I recall. Will try them next time; determined to learn to make them too...

Mamuska is fairly good for the price I think - been to a lot of worse places for more money in London, def.

This sounds like something I should know about, i have a meeting at Elephant every quarter so I'll check out the Polish joint at the next one...

viktorvaughn

Made those a while back...i thought they were nice, but I wasn't overwhelmed, thought it needed something extra (but couldn't tell you what).

Ottolenghi's butternut squash and tahini dip is my fave recipe by him that I've tried. Amazing.
?

Fair enough..need to try the squash one. Is it in plenty?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
yeah, it's one of my most cherished cupboard ingredients, alongside pomegranate molasses (which I guess you could also use with vanilla ice cream if you added some sugar too). Can get date syrup from turkish stores, just takes a while to read the labels of all the different molasses/syrups to get the right one....

Last edited:

luka

i ate chopped pear covered with salt and sugar and served with heaps of chopped fresh birds eye chilli. it was delicious. im not sure if it was a special type of pear though. one of the indonesian girls at work done it

luka

breaking news. she now thinks it might not have been a pear. she doesnt know what it was though. some sort of fruit. a bit like a pear.

viktorvaughn

Good find Viktor, I fuckin love wind dried sausage. Chopped in egg fried rice. Or fried with cabbage. Or...be good to know how it turns out :) good luck!

Cheers. I'll be taking some pics, so I'll upload a couple, looks really interesting. I'm thinking stir fried with leeks, cabbage, tofu etc with pickled chillies...mmm.

luka

trust me im going to get the bottom of exactly how to do this. actually they say you can do it with apple or whatever too