sign you are watching a good movie

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
Was watching a Hitchcock interview last night and he talked about the cliche in films where there's a poisoned glass and the intended victim ALMOST sips from it but remembers that he has to say or do something just before his lips touch the glass.

On the subject of awful films, 'house of wax' was on last night - it starred Elisha Cuthbert and Paris Hilton. It featured a pair of deformed/idiotic hillbillies who lived in a deserted town and weren't adverse to turning people into wax dummies... for no particular reason. I knew it was going to be a masterpiece before I even switched the channel.

Corpsey, something tells me that you might like Troma movies.

I had a college housemate who had every Troma movie ever made and I have to recommend them to anyone who's into B movies at all.

Edit: Also, check out those Rob Zombie horror movies, they're pretty good for deformed/idiotic hillbillies.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Was watching a Hitchcock interview last night and he talked about the cliche in films where there's a poisoned glass and the intended victim ALMOST sips from it but remembers that he has to say or do something just before his lips touch the glass."
Was it Luc Godard who said the thing about how if you see a gun on the wall in the first scene that gun had damn well better be fired before the film ends? Whoever it was I strongly disagree (while reserving the right to make exceptions and admitting that sometimes inevitability is exactly what you want), I think that kind of predictability can often undermine films. I love films where apparently important instants and significantly lingering camera shots go nowhere and are merely red herrings or possibly not even that.

"1) Showgirls

and

2) Coyote Ugly"
Never seen either of these, but, I was watching an older Verhoeven film the other day called The Fourth Man and I was thinking about what a good director he is. As well as that (which is kind of like a weird neo-noir type thing where the protagonist keeps getting weird visions such as this guy he fancies replacing the Christ figure on a cross in a church, causing him to go over and start fondling his cock - goes downhill a little towards the end though) he did Robocop which was pretty cool, Basic Instinct which I liked at the time and Starship Troopers which is obviously ace. Maybe I should try Showgirls... maybe.

"Showgirls is badly underrated, in my view. And I'm not just saying that because I like tits."
I'm not such a massive fan of tits as such though.

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Showgirls is badly underrated, in my view. And I'm not just saying that because I like tits.

It's the most misanthropic rollercoaster ride ever. And the 'put you off sex for life' sex scene rules. Great film. It's very hard to hate America on that sort of budget but he pulls it off admirably. I'd really like to meet Verhoeven, I bet he's a hoot.

I'd recommend it Rich but some people really hate it. It works well on lots of beer with friends. It's a very midnight cinema-shout-all-the-lines-out type thing, or maybe best viewed in that light. Kinda right-wing John Waters vibe.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
OK, I'm sold. I know that a lot of people hate it but I didn't realise that so many people love it. I'll give it a go anyway.

swears

preppy-kei
Anyone seen Verhoeven's Spetters? I remember thinking it was pretty cool when I saw it once at two in the morning or something on channel 4. I was about 15 at the time, so it might actually be a bit crap.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Anyone seen Verhoeven's Spetters? I remember thinking it was pretty cool when I saw it once at two in the morning or something on channel 4. I was about 15 at the time, so it might actually be a bit crap."
That does sound good.
Here is the blurb for The Fourth Man if anyone is interested

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fourth_Man

For what it's worth I thought that it was better when it was just weird stuff happening and that it lost something when it coalesced into the idea that all the woman's husbands died and he was next in line. Then again if I had read the tagline I would have already known that that was what it was about anyway.

petergunn

plywood violin
I'd recommend it Rich but some people really hate it. It works well on lots of beer with friends. It's a very midnight cinema-shout-all-the-lines-out type thing, or maybe best viewed in that light. Kinda right-wing John Waters vibe.

re: showgirls

i saw this in high school on opening night... i think we were all stoned and probably went half out of the desire to see an NC-17 nudie movie (w/the saved by the bell chick) and half out of all the hype surrounding it at the time...

i remember alot of people were walking out on it, which is something you rarely see in real life... people were laughing at the "wrong" parts and about 3/4 of the way thru, (i think during or just after that rape scene) that people started yelling at the screen (and this was not the type of theatre that happens).... it was sorta an instant cult movie, i guess...

petergunn

plywood violin
It featured a pair of deformed/idiotic hillbillies who lived in a deserted town and weren't adverse to turning people into wax dummies... for no particular reason. I knew it was going to be a masterpiece before I even switched the channel.

YES

this is what i mean...

any movie w/ inbred/retarded hillbilly families is great...

thus the original of "The Hills of Eyes" is AMAZING... can't bring myself to watch the remake... also can't believe they are remaking Last House on the Left, which is even more egregious, as that movie is just SOOOOOO early 70's (60's hangover)...

IdleRich

IdleRich
There is a film I want to see called Paris-Champagne that I read a recommendation of somewhere and which I want to see. I really don't know much about it but looking on IMDB although it says nothing about the plot does list the following "Plot Keywords":

Male Female Relationship
Nudity
Dream
Dancing
Ballet
Convertible
Water
Neon Sign
Strip Tease
Champagne
Symbolism
Revue
Animal
Paris
Flower Girl
Seine
Tramp
Avant Garde
Circus
Rock Band
Cabaret
Acrobat
Countryside
Dance
Dream Like
Felliniesque
Night Life
Transformation

Which makes me want to see it even more.

jenks

thread death
Was it Luc Godard who said the thing about how if you see a gun on the wall in the first scene that gun had damn well better be fired before the film ends? Whoever it was I strongly disagree (while reserving the right to make exceptions and admitting that sometimes inevitability is exactly what you want), I think that kind of predictability can often undermine films. I love films where apparently important instants and significantly lingering camera shots go nowhere and are merely red herrings or possibly not even that

If it was Godard then he stole it from Chekhov. Maybe it is just one of thise tropes the audience knows only too well now - like the double twist ending of most horror movies.

STN

sou'wester
Wildly inappropriate calm music (preferably classical) to soundtrack scenes of appalling violence.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
But seriously....any cinematography/dialogue/logic that makes one feel as though one has just entered into a dream. eg Lynch, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Bunuel, second half of Apocalypse Now, Walkabout...

IdleRich

IdleRich
"If it was Godard then he stole it from Chekhov."
Nah, you're right, it was Checkhov, I'm thinking about "all you need for a movie is a girl and a gun" or whatever it is - that was Godard right?