Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 201

Thread: Excellent words and phrases

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,074

    Default

    Paradigm.
    Telomere.
    Mendacious.
    Hullabaloo.
    Squamous.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,443

    Default

    vigilant

    wastrel

    scant

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    w.yorkshire
    Posts
    2,488

    Default

    merkin

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,053

    Default

    scoundrel
    wasteman
    chutzpah
    dreck
    klutz
    schmooze

    I think you can see where this is going....

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    2,662

    Default

    Balls!

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    scoundrel
    wasteman
    chutzpah
    dreck
    klutz
    schmooze

    I think you can see where this is going....
    Definite Yiddish theme here.

    Schmuck!
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,518

    Default

    schlemazel (unlucky person)
    hizzoner (contraction of 'his honour')
    puzzleheaded
    facund (= 'eloquent,' not fecund)
    zooxanthellae (some kind of plankton)
    xiphiplastrum (part of the bottom of a tortoise shell)
    upadaisy
    scabland (deserty waste land)
    youthquake
    fescennine (extremely rude, outrageously coarse)
    boustrephedon (lit. 'ox-turning' - writing alternate right-left, left-right lines)
    callipygous ('fair-buttocked')
    ouistiti (French for 'marmoset')

    I quite like using 'discombobulate', 'solecism' and 'abstruse'

    Latinate words are cool: periclitate (to endanger), abrogate, oppilate

    (please stop me)
    Last edited by mixed_biscuits; 22-01-2009 at 05:46 PM.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    berlin
    Posts
    8,453

    Default

    one of my favorite phrases/sentences is

    your mouth writing checks your ass can't cash.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Glasgow, UK
    Posts
    2,535

    Default

    Shenanigans.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    493

    Default

    Haberdashery
    Possum
    Besom
    Widdershins
    Oarsmanship
    Rollocking
    Falconry

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    2,662

    Default

    Recently at work I have started to take great relish in spelling out a name or serial number on the phone using the "P for Peter, A for Apple" system.

    This thread is providing me with an incredible arsenal.

    Though I'm not sure anything said here yet will beat out hearing a bewildered tech support guy saying "Wooly Mammoth?" back at me, as if that doesn't start with W or something.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Boy View Post
    Recently at work I have started to take great relish in spelling out a name or serial number on the phone using the "P for Peter, A for Apple" system.

    This thread is providing me with an incredible arsenal.

    Though I'm not sure anything said here yet will beat out hearing a bewildered tech support guy saying "Wooly Mammoth?" back at me, as if that doesn't start with W or something.
    You could really confuse people by saying things like "P for psoriasis", "M for mnemonic", "H for hors-d'oeuvre", "K for knurl" etc.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    654

    Default

    megalith.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    You could really confuse people by saying things like "P for psoriasis", "M for mnemonic", "H for hors-d'oeuvre", "K for knurl" etc.
    With a P as in Philadelphia and without a P as in Venezuela.

    Agree with Zhao on the subject of your mouth writing cheques your ass can't cash - I kind of end up using that phrase in situations where I shouldn't really because I like it so much.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slothrop View Post
    With a P as in Philadelphia and without a P as in Venezuela.

    Agree with Zhao on the subject of your mouth writing cheques your ass can't cash - I kind of end up using that phrase in situations where I shouldn't really because I like it so much.
    I like "...and not in a good way", especially when used inappropriately for humorous or provocative effect:

    "I mean, she looked like a complete slag, and not in a good way."

    "He's starting to sound a bit like Hitler, and not in a good way."
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •