Excellent words and phrases

IdleRich

IdleRich
Don't know the German for it but one time we were making a really lush, rich soup this German guy round our house said that in Germany they say that the soup "has eyes" when you have those big, tasty, reflective pools of grease on top, which I guess look like bright eyes staring back at you. Nice expression I thought.

"weltschmerz is a beaut"
Ever heard this album?

weltschmertz-lp-a.gif

crackerjack

Don't know the German for it but one time we were making a really lush, rich soup this German guy round our house said that in Germany they say that the soup "has eyes" when you have those big, tasty, reflective pools of grease on top, which I guess look like bright eyes staring back at you. Nice expression I thought.

Ever heard this album?

weltschmertz-lp-a.gif

The cover looks a bit Bolan-goes-sci-fi-goth for me. what's it like?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Sort of dark electro-pop disco but spoiled on most tracks by this unbelievably terrible campy vocal. I think there is one good one though.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag

Ever heard this album?

weltschmertz-lp-a.gif

Zuppeaugen?

nomadthethird

Heidegger came up with a lot of the best German neologisms. One of the best to say aloud is Zusammenhörigkeit (co-propriation--or more literally, binding-togther-ness) which should sound like

tsoozahmenheureesschhkite

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
On a German neologism tip:

Gedankenexperiment or Gedankenversuch
Eigenvec(k)tor
Bremsstrahlung

and so on.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
In terms of phrases (and even though Americans basically have a monopoly on effective/appropriate use of it):
Fuckin A.

nomadthethird

One thing I always wondered about my whole life was, why do mothers always say "caca" to their babies about filthy things--dirty diapers, grimy floors, whatever. I thought it must have been some version of an Ur-Sanskrit word for shit.

Then I took Attic Greek and found out that "kaka" means "bad"... I assume it has some kind of cognate or root in Sanskrit, like a lot of words do. Remember Tate? He would know.

BareBones

wheezy
One thing I always wondered about my whole life was, why do mothers always say "caca" to their babies about filthy things--dirty diapers, grimy floors, whatever. I thought it must have been some version of an Ur-Sanskrit word for shit.

Then I took Attic Greek and found out that "kaka" means "bad"... I assume it has some kind of cognate or root in Sanskrit, like a lot of words do. Remember Tate? He would know.

the only time i've ever heard this word is from al in quantum leap

IdleRich

IdleRich
"One thing I always wondered about my whole life was, why do mothers always say "caca" to their babies about filthy things--dirty diapers, grimy floors, whatever. I thought it must have been some version of an Ur-Sanskrit word for shit."
In the football thread I was wondering why Kaka (the player who can't be bought for £100m) chooses to play under such a nickname. Still seems strange to me.

zhao

there are no accidents
kaka means poo in east asian, germanic, and latin cultures... and that's only what i know. i suspect it might be one of those universal words?

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Most compounds are annoying, I agree. But sodcasting has 'sod' in it! Hmm, maybe it's just that word that I like. :slanted:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
really don't like these quirky modern compound words (i.e. sodcasting) agree on the other two though. My mate's brother used to have a metal band called Stentor.

The worst for that was those fucking Nissan Micra adverts a few years back..."Do you speak Micra?" . Gah, remember them? That must have been made up by a real smunt.