The accents thread

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Does Loyd Grossman have kids, do you reckon? He's practically got an accent all to himself.

Let's hope he did the decent thing and got snipped early on. Nah, I don't mind him.

Mine is middle-class southern English, boringly enough, with some estuary element creeping in from 18 years spent in Kent.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I love brummie accents! They can whinge like noone else and it cracks me up.

I have an Essex boy / east end accent that slides up (towards RP) or down as necessary. With Yorkshire / Lancashire bits slowly being tacked on.

I've got a horrible voice though. All this beautifully constructed speech, utterly ruined by this nasal whine. It's excruciating to listen to. I have a ramadanman interview to transcribe which I can't bear to do because it just sets my teeth on end.

I am determined that my children will grow up with a "proper" (i.e. London) accent, an ambition that is likely to be sadly disappointed. Fortunately the soft south yorks accent is very nice.

Lichen

Does Loyd Grossman have kids, do you reckon? He's practically got an accent all to himself.

I'm afraid the mighty Lloyd is not alone. His accent is "mid-atlantic' and I've met others with it.

His is pretty extreme, mind.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I have an incredibly weird accent. It once became the object of fascination for an enthusiastic linguistics student who was a friend of my ex.

I was born in Luton but I grew up back and forth between Canada and an international (but mostly British) school in Singapore. My parents have your normal unremarkable southern English accent, although the entirety of my Dad's family sounds a little rougher. I guess distance and upward mobility made my Dad get posher.

So my accent to Canadians is distinctly British. But my accent to British people sounds a little off, although they often find it hard to place why, if they even notice. The reason is that on a very basic level my accent is British (I don't say water WAH-TURR) but a lot of my intonation and delivery is a bit North American.

To top it off, my phrasing and vocabulary is a seamless but very uncommon blend of both vernaculars. So basically no matter where I go, I sound foreign.

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
Geordie (I guess moderately strong, but my Essex cousing struggle to understand me sometimes) with the slightest indication of my mother's elevated scouse.

Scumbag, basically.

Sinko

impenetrable geordie. anyone who wasn't born within a 15 mile radius of St James' Park has a very difficult time understanding anything i say, which can be a pain in the arse when you find yourself having to repeat your one-syllable name half a dozen times. :eek:

reeltoreel

which can be a pain in the arse when you find yourself having to repeat your one-syllable name half a dozen times.

Living in California with a New Zealand accent has been surprisingly difficult. I have to repeat my one-syllable name a lot and automated phone systems don't understand me at all. I have to put on my best American accent just to get the thing to recognise me.

I have relatively flat vowels and I'm very softly spoken, which doesn't help matters.

luka

im like barebones but with an east end accent, not cockney
that doesn't exist much anymore. its more an amalgm.
mos dan im suprised if you listen to grime you cant pick out the differences in london accents. listen to chipmunk, then wiley then the fat one from N.a.a
they've all got fairly representitive accents and all fairly distinct.

swears

preppy-kei
I lived in Hayes, Middlesex until I was about ten, then moved to the Wirral, where my nan would berate me for talking in a London accent, but I didn't want to pick up a scouse accent, so my voice is like a sort of cross between estuary and generic northern. Scousers think I sound cockney and Londoners think I sound ecky-thump... it's an odd mix. My voice tends to drift towards getting posher when I talk on the phone at work or to girls. I think I'd like to sound posher generally, everybody tends to go the other way, nowadays.

swears

preppy-kei
For some reason scousers tend to find any accent that isn't like theirs hilarious and/or fascinating... such an insular city in some ways.

Spike

Dissential
I have an absolute car crash of an accent...
I lived outside of England until I was eight and was forced to acquire an English accent when I moved here to avoid ridicule at school. But, thanks to a Scottish grandmother, American relatives, a Scouser girlfriend, a best friend who's from Brixton, and spending equal amounts of time in London and Cambridge, it's ended up completely confused.
However, comments on my accent from all sorts of people seem to come to the general consensus that I sound "English" but unplaceable, both geographically and classwise... unless I'm drunk, when a heavy Scots undertone takes over. Bizarre

luka

my voice gets different whn i get drunk too. i don't really have a 'true voice' it switches registers all the time. too many different influences. mum from new zealand, dad generic home counties voice,grew up with cockneys and west indians, lived in auckland for a few years.....

Spike

Dissential
I'm curious about the nature of people's drunk voices. Does it represent the accent that has been the most longstanding influence over yours (in my case, my Scottish grandmother for 13 years) or the way that you would like to sound, propelled by drink..?

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
Ha. I love how most Americans think that all British people either have that accent that's mostly (I think) a lower class accent from somewhere in London, or the Beatles' sort of Liverpudlian accent. Then there's the generic snobby upper class "Jeeves" sort of accent that probably doesn't really exist. Also they think you say "Cheerio!" a lot.

Scottish people are impossible for me to understand. I really need subtitles to watch any movies with Scottish dialect in them.