kids

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
As long as they didn't grow up to be hippies, I'd be cool with that.

My nan is a tory and a devout irish catholic who loves pope Ratzinger 'cuz he's so hardcore, but I still love her. She's wrong, but she's not hurting anyone.

Well, hippies don't really hurt anyone either per se. They just make you want to hurt them.

john eden

male pale and stale
Well, hippies don't really hurt anyone either per se. They just make you want to hurt them.

manson1a.jpg

zhao

there are no accidents
i never meant that kids should be "controlled". i was saying the exact opposite.

and about Manson and hippies... i think Ted Bundy was a golfer. so according to your logic it of course follows that people who play golf are serial killers or at least have serial killing tendencies.

john eden

male pale and stale
i never meant that kids should be "controlled". i was saying the exact opposite.

and about Manson and hippies... i think Ted Bundy was a golfer. so according to your logic it of course follows that people who play golf are serial killers or at least have serial killing tendencies.

Yes.

STN

sou'wester

really? It doesn't just say that neither group is comprised of 100% harmless people?

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I'm not sure I really believe in this method of indoctrinating your child with your beliefs, music, literature, etc. It comes across extremely narcissistic, vicarious and presumptious. Very new age.

I would think that if you are supportive and set a good example, your child will grow to eventually respect your views on things. They might not be your moral and political carbon copy, and they might think your music is a bunch of bullshit - but if you don't give them reason to be a bad person, I don't think they will.

zhao

there are no accidents
nyone know any good, possibly even educational video games for 10 year old girls? maybe something like Myst? (which i know almost nothing about but only heard that it's kind of good and challenging)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
nyone know any good, possibly even educational video games for 10 year old girls? maybe something like Myst? (which i know almost nothing about but only heard that it's kind of good and challenging)

Haha, my brother and I had Myst. We were into it for a...bit. It was quite boring and pretentious, although clearly well produced. But not a game you'd even mention in the same breath as Doom or Descent. Oh man, fucking Doom II. Now THAT was a game.

Sorry, that doesn't really answer your question, does it? See if she likes Doom II.

Edit: I'm not sure I really approve of the idea of 'educational video games'. They're inherently recreational - it'd be like recommending an educational rock'n'roll or hip-hop album. Games are for playing - books are for learning. By all means try to make learning enjoyable, but trying to make enjoyment learn-able is probably not a productive route to go down. Also, computer games intentionally marketed at girls are notoriously awful.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
hmmm maybe not doom 3... she likes baby panda bears and bunnies singing to their carrots.

she said the other day: "evil does not exist. only hurt and sick people".

i was deeply impressed.

she's also a junglist.

D

droid

Any of the Zelda games... pretty much anything by Nintendo... electroplankton on the DS... that game 'leaf' on the PS3.

Even games that arent overtly 'educational' help by improving problem solving abilities, hand-eye coordination etc...

zhao

there are no accidents
thanks for fractal link!

i'm working and playing Machinefabriek and she's lying on the sofa singing along :D so adorable!

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag

Six six sixties...

If you're going to have kids it seems to me that you'd better be ready to unleash them on an unpredictable world full of Mansons, and to realize that they're not carbon genetic copies of you, who will fulfill every dream of yours that you couldn't, but that they're actually people with like their own thoughts and feelings and personalities. That's hard for some people. The thing that motivates most people to have kids also makes it very hard for them to see the child as something outside of/distinct from their "relationship" with the mother/father or from their own goals in life. Most parents think that if they just control enough factors in their child's life, or teach their kid the "right" way of doing things, nothing bad will happen to their kid. Wrong again!

Also, it's just like with kittens and cats: babies are adorable and all but they do grow up, and then you're stuck with them.

What I like about being around kids is how, even if you make them upset or have to tell them no (like when I watch my autistic cousin and I have to turn off his videos and he makes a mean face and digs me with his fingernails), ten minutes later they forget and they sit on your lap and kiss you.

swears

preppy-kei
I was half-asleep on the bus back from work tonight and some kid says "Look, that man's DEAD!" Only on the inside, son...

martin

----
Let's get real here: ALL people who play (or enjoy watching) golf should be shot, regardless of how nice they are or aren't. As for Manson, he's vaguely amusing in short doses, the same way 'Footballers' Wives' is, but his fanatical following should just do humanity a favour and off themselves. Of the 2 evils, I'd say kids seriously need protection from exposure to golf.