Music that is psychedelic

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
In the way that when you are drunk, melody and struture are good (see: pub rock, getting all teary-eyed and sentimental and then screaming like an animal), or when you're on coke excess is good (80s) and POWER too, and when you're on speed everything has to be fast.

I know what you mean...funny thing is, when I'm at a club the more pilled-up and brimming over with love and joy I am the more I get out of the kind of techno "that sounds like robots are about to come down in a big chrome spaceship and start raping everyone with lasers" (as I put it once).

One characteristic of some psychedelic music is that it displays auditory properties that are kind of equivalent to the curving, flowing tendrils you associate with psychedelic visuals...notes that bend, chords that blend into each other instead of finishing so another can start, that sort of thing. Not that I can think of any particular music that sounds like that right now...but do you know what I mean? You hear it even in d'n'b sometimes. Then there's the kind of trance-inducing repetition or motorik-type sound, which is kind of different again.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Obviously not enough detail to be able identify those particular records, but can you recommend any in that vein?

It's not super-hard, but I really like 'Protection' from Coil's Born Again Pagans EP. Very bloopy, very liquid-sounding, definitely psychedelic. There's a great track I love called 'Theme From Onion Jack' by Portion Control, which is more on the electro side but has a definite acid edge to it. And there are two remixes of 'Work 01' on the CD re-release of Front By Front by Front 242 that are almost completely percussion but are very hard indeed, very acidy, somehow military-sounding yet not un-funky at the same time. A sort of sick, dark groove. Great stuff. I'll post some more if I think of any.

zhao

there are no accidents
quite fond of a lot of those 70s international psych and acid rock. but these days if i was to do some shrooms i'd probably want to put on some sacred flutes from papua new guinea.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
But then someone whipped a bottle of poppers out, so it wasn't too painful in the end...

IdleRich

IdleRich
Actually that's a pretty psychedelic garage track now I come to think of it... so's this I reckon (which came first this or I Wanna Be Your Dog?)

and this

But this one isn't (to me) despite its name (although it's good obviously)

DJ PIMP

The human brain is prone to psychedelia, it's a bit like the imagination made sensual.

I associate trippyness with melody, texture, slipperyness, crispness, clarity of sound, sense of space, non-aggression etc moreso than 60s psych feedback... or at least that's my preference. i.e. later Kraftwerk, basically. What a nerd.

One of the most pleasant musical trips I ever had was cruising on a bus through forest-covered mist-shrouded mountains in New Zealand's South Island while the driver played Simon & Garfunkel. Sound of Silence, Cloudy, Homeward Bound, I am a rock, Feeling Groovy etc.

Hello lampost, whatcha knowing?

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
I was wondering if anyone was going to mention any krautrock - some of the repetitive stuff is surely some of the most trance-inducing - if that is something related to psychedelia.

One of my favorite psychedelic experiences involved walking around Poughkeepsie NY which is an industrial wasteland basically and then listening to Computer World over and over. If that counts.

Mr. Tea the VU sound like they're on amphetamines and downers, probably barbituates, those were popular. I used to be prescribed barbituates with codeine and I couldn't feel a damn thing from them.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
One of my favorite psychedelic experiences involved walking around Poughkeepsie NY which is an industrial wasteland basically and then listening to Computer World over and over. If that counts.

Mr. Tea the VU sound like they're on amphetamines and downers, probably barbituates, those were popular. I used to be prescribed barbituates with codeine and I couldn't feel a damn thing from them.

Also "Heroin"?

nomadthethird

The human brain is prone to psychedelia, it's a bit like the imagination made sensual.

I associate trippyness with melody, texture, slipperyness, crispness, clarity of sound, sense of space, non-aggression etc moreso than 60s psych feedback... or at least that's my preference. i.e. later Kraftwerk, basically. What a nerd.

One of the most pleasant musical trips I ever had was cruising on a bus through forest-covered mist-shrouded mountains in New Zealand's South Island while the driver played Simon & Garfunkel. Sound of Silence, Cloudy, Homeward Bound, I am a rock, Feeling Groovy etc.

Hello lampost, whatcha knowing?

I associate psychedelic music mostly with a) space in the music, it usually seems either widened, deepened, stretched out b) a distorted sense of time c) more clarity [like on Computer World] or less in tone [fuzz like on White Light/White Heat] d) movement--it can be linear, or not, but it has to feel propelled along by some kind of supernatural force (all music is wink) e) and color. You really have to be able to see the music as an abstract set of color patterns or relations for it to be psychedelic.

Really, any music is psychedelic. Some music is just more deliberately altered to fit the psychedelic experience than other music by musicians who have more psychedelic experience.

DJ PIMP

Best psych thing for me from last year was the I Cube mix of The Feeling by Toby Tobias. Mentioned it about a half dozen times on here but it's soooooo goooooood. The track I got the most enquiries about over New Years... all gentle and wiggly and gloriously sexy...

Questions I need answers
What got me into here?
The room is dark and small
And it's impossible to breathe

Kiss me like I'm dying
We're rolling down like stones
Love me like a tiger
And strip me like the wind blows

In the words and the distance
Shapes are moving free
Dancing like the hybrid
It's high emergency

And I'm sensing your persistence
The heat from your body
Hands will do the healing
It's all electricity

Don't fight the feeling
Don't fight the feeling
Don't fight the feeling
Don't fight the feeling

Leo

i once had bad dreams after listening to an acid mothers temple album, if that counts.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Well 'White Light, White Heat' is about speed, no question. Anyway, the guita solo with the organ in the background on 'What Goes On' (on the third album) must rate as the most euphoric piece of music I've ever heard, whether it's smack or whatever that inspired that particular bit, it sounds preeeeety nice. But there's no way I buy this line about Lou Reed not using smack while he was in the VU, the guy wrote a song called 'Heroin', to say nothing of songs about waiting for his man and searching for his mainline.

nomadthethird

Best psych thing for me from last year was the I Cube mix of The Feeling by Toby Tobias. Mentioned it about a half dozen times on here but it's soooooo goooooood. The track I got the most enquiries about over New Years... all gentle and wiggly and gloriously sexy...

Questions I need answers
What got me into here?
The room is dark and small
And it's impossible to breathe

Kiss me like I'm dying
We're rolling down like stones
Love me like a tiger
And strip me like the wind blows

In the words and the distance
Shapes are moving free
Dancing like the hybrid
It's high emergency

And I'm sensing your persistence
The heat from your body
Hands will do the healing
It's all electricity

Don't fight the feeling
Don't fight the feeling
Don't fight the feeling
Don't fight the feeling

Link or zshare please? :D :cool:

nomadthethird

Well 'White Light, White Heat' is about speed, no question. Anyway, the guita solo with the organ in the background on 'What Goes On' (on the third album) must rate as the most euphoric piece of music I've ever heard, whether it's smack or whatever that inspired that particular bit, it sounds preeeeety nice. But there's no way I buy this line about Lou Reed not using smack while he was in the VU, the guy wrote a song called 'Heroin', to say nothing of songs about waiting for his man and searching for his mainline.

Look it up.

I'm not saying he didn't do heroin too just that he preferred speed and spent most of his life on speed not heroin.

Edit: You *can* do both at once, too.

Last edited:
The weirdest/best musical experiences i've had was listening to Xmd5a off analord 10 on shrooms, that bit that drops at about 4 mins in was like some sort of hyper-colourful evil carnival in my head, in a good way!

Coming down from a peak(on acid) is when I most enjoy my music. For some reason pop/dance music scares the shit out of me when i'm tripping. Hip-Hop can be good though...
I most enjoy being soothed/transported, mostly through jazz and/or epic heavy psychedelic jams.

Especially this

worldgalaxy.jpg

which I think is one of her more restrained records, with some of her best melodies. The version of "A Love Supreme" here with its beautiful narration by Satchidananda turning slowly into a funky organ workout; utter bliss.

also this
ashby_dorot_rubaiyato_101b.jpg
and this
d2974a029f99396dd71b1f467fbe7e98.jpg

on the heavier side
arzachel.jpg

mostly for 'Clean Innocent Fun' which conjures up all sorts of wizardry.

Also, Electric Ladyland, 'Amboss', Cosmic Jokers etc etc...