Music that is psychedelic

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Easy.

Smoke good weed that ins't hydro and the music will come to life in a psychadelic way, whether is the
flying Burrito Brothers, Sonic Youth or Rhythm and Sound.

Essentially timbres, over-tones, odd sonorities, atonalities, temporal shifts, repetition augur well for for psychedelic music.

petergunn

plywood violin
Well, I agree it has a bar room feel but does it retain any vestige of psychedelia to it? Not from what I've heard. If it does I still don't think it would be what my friend was talking about as that was supposed to describe bands who aspired to the psychedelic experience but simply didn't have it available rather than bands who have lost interest in it and who would rather concentrate on winning knighthoods and making sure they don't spend enough days in the uk to have to pay the same tax rate as everyone else.

i judge the Ultimate Beer Psych song to be the Ambrose Slade's (early Slade) version of "Journey to the Center of Your Mind", the psych tune originally done by Ted Nugent;s Amboy Dukes... so, we have a bunch of beer monsters from the Black Country covering a psych song originally performed by a straight edge dude...

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
Easy.

Smoke good weed that ins't hydro and the music will come to life in a psychadelic way, whether is the
flying Burrito Brothers, Sonic Youth or Rhythm and Sound.

Essentially timbres, over-tones, odd sonorities, atonalities, temporal shifts, repetition augur well for for psychedelic music.

There's good weed that isn't hydro?

I'd rather smoke crack than that midi, dirtweed backyard shwag anyday.

As a matter of fact, nevermind, I would just rather smoke crack.

CHAOTROPIC

on account

"...executives at Polydor Records were less than impressed with the tracks' mind-bending sound - and have refused to release the disc until the group reworks the songs.

Frontman Jamie Reynolds says, "We've been asked to re-record part of the album because we've made a dense, psychedelic record.

"We've made a really heavy record and it isn't the right thing for us - I understand and know that.

"First and foremost, we're a pop band. I haven't thought about that for a long time, and now it's in the forefront of my mind.""

Jesus ... talk about a bunch of fucking pussies. "We know we did wrong in expressing ourselves. We'll never do it again." :slanted:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I think you can read that in his voice and hear him being very sarcastic. I wouldn't ever listen to the Klaxons but I really like their lyrics, I'd quite like to hear a heavy album by them, or what they would consider that to be. Hear it once anyway. If I knew any 12 year olds I think I'd buy them the Klaxons for Xmas, best of a bad bunch.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
More psychedelic thoughts: surely an all-time, and at least slightly underappreciated, classic psych record is Notorious Byrd Brothers by The Byrds? Easily their best single album, it really works as an album. With the run of songs on the first side from Going Back to Get To You in particular, I can't imagine any of the tunes without the others any more. Also what impresses me about it is how shockingly short most of the songs are, proves for all time that psychedelia does not have to equal pompous indulgence.

low band

Forgive me if i'm going over old ground here (I did try and read the whole thread).

I think one the most psychedelic records that i've heard has to be Slip Inside This House by the 13th Floor Elevators, those lyrics and that guitar.. It wasn't till a while after experimenting with drugs as a young teen that I started listening to music under the influence and I have to say it certainly opened a few doors (sorry).
I remember first listening to Gong after a heavy hot knives session, just sitting in the dark listening to Flying Teapot, I was hooked.. A few years later I remember listening to Sonic Boom's Spectrum album after drinking rather too much magic mushroom wine, it was incredible the kalidoscopic effect of the music rippling through everything around me, blissful in it's simplicity. I made the mistake of putting The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld on which just took me away, completely. I think that my brain was assimilating everything in the music, all the complex samples and sound effects, which all contained there own unique stamp of history/memory, with all this unraveling all around me, with the added bonus of negating time and wrestling with Satan/God/sanity.

some other psychedelic bands worth mentioning - Butthole Surfers, Terminal Cheesecake, Legendary Pink Dots.

polystyle

13th Fl Elevators definitely.
Also how about Apocalypse Now Redux -
just about the whole movie and many moments on the soundtrack ...

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
just picked up yma sumac's "miracles" at a flea market
amazing LP
wordless vocals across a five octave range over moustachioed psyche-rock improv workouts. she sounds like a singing saw at the top of her range. eerie weird mystical third-eye-opening music.
never heard of her before but it looks like this is her only rock record in a career that began in the 1940s.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"just picked up yma sumac's "miracles" at a flea market
amazing LP
wordless vocals across a five octave range over moustachioed psyche-rock improv workouts. she sounds like a singing saw at the top of her range. eerie weird mystical third-eye-opening music.
never heard of her before but it looks like this is her only rock record in a career that began in the 1940s."
Yma Sumac is great. Absolutely ridiculous voice that goes all over the shop. When she first rose to prominence she was presented as some kind of amazonian princess or something I think. Miracles is produced by Les Baxter right? Got a feeling he did some of her other things though I reckon you're right about Miracles being the most rocky one. My girlfriend has one of her mambo type albums and that's really good as well, filled with her growling and making weird noises just as you would hope. Sadly she died last year (or was it this year?).
Weirdly enough I bought Miracles on the same day I bought an album by....

Another exotica guy with a good made up back story is Chaino

http://www.spaceagepop.com/chaino.htm

"Allan abetted Chaino in creating his character, claiming in liner notes that Chaino was an orphan from a lost tribe in Africa who was taken in by missionaries and brought to the U.S."

luka

For some reason pop/dance music scares the shit out of me when i'm tripping.

remember hearing vengaboys on acid. something so militaristic about it. very frightening, in an enjoyable way.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
This isn't psychedelic necessarily, but track B is a remix/reversioning of track A and I listened to it stoned last night and it felt like I was on something stronger, listening to track A:

Track A

<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify:track:0W3VSUSoEUjcj6EUvxpUgd" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

Track B

<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify:track:4Wti2E7H9JD6wCMqRdfhqV" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>