Unfortunate names

craner

Beast of Burden
My mate's family used to write down amusing names after they appeared on the news or whatever. He sent me the list. Here are a few.

MARVEL and BUNNY CRUMPACKER
GLADYS RAKSHIT
MAUD GENTLEMAN
GLADSTONE STIFF
RODNEY FREAKS
PEGGY PEACHY
REG RUFFLES
MOUSER BACKHOUSE
WALTER BEARBLOCK
Rev. AUGUSTUS TOPLADY
FAITH POPCORN
MORLENE RABBITS
OSWALDE FITZBURNELL-TRELLIS
EUPHEMIA STAMMER
GRISILDA CLOUTING
JEREMY KITKAT
IRIS LUMPKIN
PERCY PONDER
ORLANDO HORREX
QUEENIE PATERNOSTER
COSMOS CLARKE, C.B.E.

Amazing post.

version

Ej6-JJSCWs-AAonwg.jpg

IdleRich

IdleRich
Todger Strunk?
I still like the one that appeared ages ago - Charles Quarles, I don't know why but there is something so perfect about it.

version

Here's another good one,

Cortland Cronk
, 26, never dreamed he would bring COVID-19 into New Brunswick. When he returned home from Calgary on an Oct. 24 flight, he followed all of the rules required of an essential worker.

IdleRich

IdleRich
That could be a quote from Pynchon... I have to ask, is Todger a nickname? How did he come by it? I mean presumably Gator is a nickname right?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Shows something very different to the mentality in Portugal. As far as I can tell, in the US, you can choose any name you like as long as it's not on a short list of words such as Motherfucker and Cunt, whereas in Portugal the supposition is the other way round, you literally have to choose your child's name from a short list of accepted names; Joao, Tiago, Pedro, Sergio, Luis... er that's about it if it's a boy I think. Some people deliberately go abroad (to Spain) so they can pick a more interesting name.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm exaggerating with the numbers obviously, I believe there are about 150 approved names (I dunno if that's total or boy names).

IdleRich

IdleRich
Justification I don't know.
I think in the Russian Orthodox Church (but not Russia as a whole) it's the same with only a certain list of names allowed - and also I think they have equivalents so that if you went in to the Church and said "Hi I'm Grisha" they would reply "I think you mean Gregori" or whatever.