John Updike is dead

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
perhaps i dont respond to the making yourself a patheitc 'human' charcter, and detailing all the pratfalls and humiliations. i find it seedy. i like the muscular whitman self as hero thing. i can go on but i suspect you lot will just queue up to rain scorn down upon me and im not sure im up for that.

This is really interesting.

I've heard it stated and argued that the novel was invented by women, for women, and only "works" in a certain sort of way that I think I understand but I don't want to define because I don't think I can quite articulate it at the moment. But you get the picture--the Bronte sisters, George Eliot, George Sand, yadda yadda. I don't agree with this.

It's strange but despite disagreeing with you I can relate to the sentiment: I like prose and I like some novels, but I don't do very well with the novel of the linear narrative. And this is strange because I know it's as much of a cliche to be unconventional about these things as it is to be staunchly conventional about them--with music as "high art" I can run the gamut from old time classical to newer experimental and I like Scarlatti/ Poulenc/Kabalevsky AND Varese/Stockhausen/Reich.

Writing is very different from music, though.

nomadthethird

Ok, nevermind, I think I may have articulated it. The novel of the linear narrative is too goddamn domesticated for me.

jenks

thread death
my thoughts diverge so wildly from yours im not even sure my opinion can even mean anything to you.

here are some keywords to refresh your memory, surfaces, seduction, money, power, intrigue, clothes, beautiful cruel women.

i can go on but i suspect you lot will just queue up to rain scorn down upon me and im not sure im up for that.

No scorn from me - I was aware that putting those three guys was contentious. I suppose I have always had a deep attraction towards the American novel - I suppose that sense of ambition and idealism which seems so much a part of their approach is appealing against what I always thought of as the parochialism of English writers (remember I grew up in the 80s when Literary fiction was small carousel display in the middle of a bookshop - a time before waterstones)

I suppose also I am maybe a more forgiving reader - those key words you suggest all ring true to me but I don't necessarily see tham as problematic. I think you probably have a more stable aesthetic which allows you to put together a proper critique of these things whilst I am more flimsy in my judgements.

I liked what you said - I'm going to go away and think about it - my canonical way of thinking can be a stratjacket and I think you have highlighted that very clearly.

Have a good weekend.

luka

never read faulkner. give me a reccomendation and maybe i'll try it.
i dont need to be 'right' on this and i don't need to convert anyone. i just wanted to explain why those writers don't do anything for me.

D

droid

i think you're rather persuasively eloquent on his shorter stuff Benny, nice one. (i've never read CM. in fact i agonised for about three weeks last year about whether i should see No Country at the cinema before i'd read the book, though eventually succumbing..)

have you read Outer Dark? (as i read a CM fan mention it once and are curious.)

Id second (third?) Craners' recommendations, Blood Meridian is a truly exceptional book. I went through a McCarthy phase a couple of years back and read through everything.

Outer Dark has a particularly grim almost Beckett like nightmarish quality to it - similar to Child of God. Though its probably the most accessible of all his stuff, I quite enjoyed the Border trilogy, and even Suttree - which is what 'Down and out in London and Paris' would've been like if it was written by Steinbeck and set in the Deep South.

jenks

thread death
i dont need to be 'right' on this and i don't need to convert anyone. i just wanted to explain why those writers don't do anything for me.

As I Lay Dying
Sound and the Fury

Not about being right, obviously - nor converting. I just think that you wrote a long post there and I want to go away and think about what you said. We don't need to prove anything to each other but it's interesting when someone reacts so violently and differently to what you like.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"ridiculing people for the way the dress, for the eccentricites of their behaviour. its a mindset. dont ask me to define it further. i dont want to. you must know what i mean. and oliver you know exactly where our difference lie. you knwo exactly. becasue i've spelled them out time and time again, most recently i think, in my response to your last attempts to write for the blog. and you know how those difference inform our responses to novellists like bellow. here are some keywords to refresh your memory, surfaces, seduction, money, power, intrigue, clothes, beautiful cruel women"
I think for all six of the authors mentioned it's certainly true that at times they have a streak of nastiness or cruelty to the little guy (maybe not Pynchon and McCarthy so much) but you could argue that they equally have moments of generosity.
Also, I feel like this I suppose

"I suppose also I am maybe a more forgiving reader - those key words you suggest all ring true to me but I don't necessarily see them as problematic."
Likewise, I recognise the cruelty and accept it and see it as just a part of the writing and what they are attempting to portray. Which I suppose is basically everything or at least the human experience in some small way. Whether they succeed is a different point. We've discussed it before but we do keep coming back to this "bigness" of the American novel vs the UK one and, assuming it's true, I don't accept that this bigness is automatically a virtue and someone was to take issue with this aim I think that I would have some sympathy for that position.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Id second (third?) Craners' recommendations, Blood Meridian is a truly exceptional book. I went through a McCarthy phase a couple of years back and read through everything.

I agree, that book is great. On the whole though, if I am going to read an author who likes to wank about with metaphor and extremely long descriptive passages, I prefer Conrad. Not American though, so a bit irrelevant.

I like how someone mentioned that McCarthy is almost a bad writer. He is so easy to parody (and has been!), but some of those long-winded passages using words no one has used in 100 years are so inspired and powerfully evocative that many will find it hard to fuck with them.

Like Conrad, only minus 100-year old words and add nautical terminology.

craner

Beast of Burden
Yeah, that was me. I don't think he's that great at all, though I think Blood Meridian is quite splendid, even if it does verge on self-parody. I found Cities of the Plain almost unreadable. He is one of those stylists who will ruin many impressionable young writers: see also, Hunter S Thompson and, um, Saul Bellow.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
see also, Hunter S Thompson

This is true, though I don't think this has much to do with Mr. Thompson as a writer. The people who are easily corrupted by Hunter's influence are usually idiots to begin with, so they weren't ever going to do much with it anyway.

"Wait... so like, I can be the story? I can get really drunk and maybe do a little bit of drugs and backpack across Asia or something and that is the story?"

Well, yes, except you are a boring bastard with nothing to say, which doesn't help drugs or no drugs.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
Ha! Maybe I am giving too much credit. PJ O Rourke said that people under the age of 35 shouldn't even be allowed to read Hunter S.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Fabulous writer, mind you.

Fantastic writer, yes.
Another thing I should point out about Mini S. Thompsons is that they also typically have only read Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas (sorry seen Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas). Give them Campaign Trail '72 or something like that, and all of a sudden he doesn't look like Johnny Depp so much anymore.

If anything the main thing Hunter Thompson has taught me about writing is hide nothing, but be absolutely terrified about doing so.

Anyway, back to Mr. Updike and his being dead.

Last edited:

empty mirror

remember the jackalope

i've been staying out of this thread because i find it fascination to read your (i am talking about you over there across the pond) takes on american fiction

BUT faulker is an amazing writer

you should read As I Lay Dying first and foremost
the sound and the fury is also amazing but not as focused perhaps

you will be surprised at how modern he reads----and just how surreal his work is

in as i lay dying you will encounter one of the most surreal (and possibly shortest) chapters in american literature up to that point:

My mother is a fish.

(and yeah, i don't like Roth for what that's worth. do really like delillo, pynchon, gaddis, melville, hemingway, ellison and many others mentioned in this thread. steinbeck should also be in this conversation, along with, john fante, dos passos [someone mentioned journalism and he fits in here---passages literally ripped from the headlines])

maybe my favorite american novel of all time is ralph ellison's invisible man.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
Dos Passos, absolutey.

I'm fond of Frank Norris, too. McTeague...what a ferociously bleak book!

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Is Steinbeck good? I have one of his books propping up my subwoofer right now that a friend's girlfriend lent me. It's long, and I read abominably slow, so I've put it off until someone gives me a good recommendation. East of Eden.

nomadthethird

Faulkner-- Light in August is really one of the more overlooked ones.

Steinbeck is great if you're a social realist. I remember liking that one where the women feeds the grown man her breast milk during the depression. I forget what it's called...