John Updike is dead

IdleRich

IdleRich
My friend just said to me "it's sad that one of the people best able to describe being alive is now dead".

jenks

thread death
That only leaves Roth out of those three titans - I wonder if he'll ever get that invite to Stockholm?

Re: Updike. Yes, when he was on it, he was very good but when he wasn't he could really be quite awful. But I will forgive much of someone who could write the Rabbit series and Roger's Version, amongst others.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Who was the third, Bellow?
I've not read much Updike but what I have read I've enjoyed. You're the second person today to recommend Roger's Version, probably should check that out next.

luka

i hate all those writers anyway.
not celebrating no ones death, just saying.

BareBones

wheezy
the Rabbit series is all i've read of his, but that was absolutely great. I've shamefully never read any Saul Bellow though, someone recommend me something.

BareBones

wheezy
cheers, i'm just about to start Infinite Jest so if Augie March or Herzog are fairly short i might try and fit one of those in first!

craner

Beast of Burden
Or The Dean's December. Or Mr Sammler's Planet. Or More Die of Heartbreak. Or maybe just this.

They're all beautiful books.

Octopus?

bellows a reactionary bore/boor. very dull.

Could see that maybe for "The Dean's December" (which, a few passages aside, I honestly found quite tedious) and "Henderson The Rain King" (a bit pants) but I'll go toe to toe in defense of "Herzog" or "Ravelstein". Also a fan of his short works.

Admittedly I haven't read "Augie March..." which is supposedly THE ONE.

craner

Beast of Burden
Augie is the one. I agree that Henderson is a bit...not shit, exactly. Didn't exactly transport me, though.

I think The Dean's December is fantastic: the Apocalyptic Chicago novel.

craner

Beast of Burden
I'm quietly pleased that an Updike thread has turned into a Bellow thread. Exactly as it should be.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Humboldt's Gift is a fine roman à clef, so big up Bellow i say.
Augie yes, me too.

this is hardly the time to acknowledge i have never read any Updike.

however, i do intend to start, so may return to thread one day with the observations of the lucky person discovering new pleasure