Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Acid tekno

THIS

now if we're talking dark acid house, surely this is the king:

gutted I missed the bootleg repress a couple of years back.

Quote Originally Posted by hamarplazt View Post
    Yeah, a lot of the same stuff went into both scenes. The main difference is the role house played I think. Detroit was so close to chicago that they were almost part of that scene. Actually, until they decided to set themself apart in 1987, you could argue that they basically were part of that scene - and even now, listening to the first detroit compilation, most of it sounds like house, sometimes abstract house (like derrick may) but still clearly recogniseable as house. It's only because we've been told to think of it as something different that it seems so.

If anything, the germans really should be much more aware of their roots than they are. If there had never been detroit techno and only acid/house/new beat, the german techno scene would have happened pretty much the same way, but like everybody else they've become trapped by the rewriting of history that have been going on ever since detroit startet to be seen as the tasteful, authentic and proper alternative to mindless popular rave music.
    Oh come on. With all due respect to the German techno pioneers (all the guys you mentioned + Torsten Fenslau, Oliver Lieb, the Voight brothers, Thomas Fehlmann, Ernestus/Von Oswald, etc.) and to all the kraut/avant/early electronic guys who came before them, that's just not true. As I suspect most of those German techno pioneers would be the first to admit. This, for example. Not to say that Detroit was the sole birthplace or that it produces the only true/pure/etc. techno, rather that Detroit & Germany were heavily influential on one another. And still are - just look at Moodymann/Parrish/Omar-S etc. and the recent surge of Euro deep house.

re: Acid Techno

labels - Drop Bass Network, Missile Records, DJ.Ungle Fever, Direct Drive, Djax-Up-Beats

producers - 100% Acidiferous/303 Nation, Acid Junkies (Stefan Robbers on DJAX), Italians like Lory D or Leo Anibaldi, Acid Scout, Emmanuel Top, all the aforementioned Germans (Biochip C, Jammin Unit & Walker), DJ Hyperactive, some early Mike Ink records

I associate "tekno" w/the free party/travelling scene, anonymous (and not in a Basic Channel/Burial anti-identity way, but truly anonymous) music meant to bang away for hours while people do a lot of drugs. The epitomy of tracks over tunes, so to speak. Nought wrong with that of course

There's also a lot of stuff which I wouldn't call "acid techno" (or tekno) but which heavily incorporates acid. The Martian, for example. Some hardcore as well but I don't really know enough about hardcore to point out anything specific.

Also, this;

Surely an acid tekno classic if there ever was one.

immediately thought of this...

...how cool is that vinyl?

Here's the German viewpoint:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...50279662687055

Enjoy the circle jerk for who invented techno

Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    Oh come on. With all due respect to the German techno pioneers (all the guys you mentioned + Torsten Fenslau, Oliver Lieb, the Voight brothers, Thomas Fehlmann, Ernestus/Von Oswald, etc.) and to all the kraut/avant/early electronic guys who came before them, that's just not true. As I suspect most of those German techno pioneers would be the first to admit. This, for example. Not to say that Detroit was the sole birthplace or that it produces the only true/pure/etc. techno, rather that Detroit & Germany were heavily influential on one another. And still are - just look at Moodymann/Parrish/Omar-S etc. and the recent surge of Euro deep house.
    What part of it is not true? I'm not claiming that the germans invented techno, but that they had their own scene going on independent of the detroit one, and that their early rave scene - from which most of their later development came - was built on this scene in combination with acid. And I'm claiming that without detroit, most of the nineties german development would have happened more or less the same way. Sure, something like the Tresor thing would have been different (much more built on house I'd say), but it would stille exist.

Anyway, that berlin minimal stuff has always been a pretty small part of the overall german scene - just like with detroit purists in the UK. The real interesting things happended in the much more rave related areas. Gabber, trance, the mayday events, and, yes, much acid too. And detroit didn't start being mentioned and integrated until some years into the nineties, when german techno had been around and huge for several years allready. Please notice the release year of that tresor compilation.

Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    I associate "tekno" w/the free party/travelling scene, anonymous (and not in a Basic Channel/Burial anti-identity way, but truly anonymous) music meant to bang away for hours while people do a lot of drugs. The epitomy of tracks over tunes, so to speak. Nought wrong with that of course
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny B View Post
    immediately thought of this...
    so this thread is about that stuff....

there's something so acid, as in the drug sense, about that splashy reverb under the 303. It made it perfect to an outdoor setting too. They used to have these desert parties out here in Cali called Moontribe, though I stil think they're going on up north, all about that vibe. Think they moved on to Tribal, Goa and Psy, but I guess that stuff has a similar rhythmic feel/tempo.

Sure, something like the Tresor thing would have been different (much more built on house I'd say), but it would stille exist. .
    Conjecture

And detroit didn't start being mentioned and integrated until some years into the nineties, when german techno had been around and huge for several years allready.
    Not true, ask Inner City.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Dust View Post
    Conjecture
    You think all those people wouldn't have continued to make music if they hadn't been introduced to detroit techno?

Not true, ask Inner City.
    Actually, I once asked a guy involved in the early germanic rave scene (the part taking place in denmark, but still the same music involved) about if they were aware of any detroit stuff at all, and he mentioned Inner City as the onle thing they had ever heard about. And then said, "but that was because it was just chart pop, something you heard at disco clubs, not what we would consider techno at all!"

that sounds weird as uk heads weeer listening to techno in '87 -88'

a dude i know a little did this film called we call it techno about the history of the german techno scene:

http://www.myspace.com/technohistory

the story of german techno scene is probably really bloody interesting innit,
    the love parade was going in 89' which is mad, looks really decadent.

Quote Originally Posted by mms View Post
    that sounds weird as uk heads weeer listening to techno in '87 -88'

a dude i know a little did this film called we call it techno about the history of the german techno scene:

http://www.myspace.com/technohistory

the story of german techno scene is probably really bloody interesting innit,
    the love parade was going in 89' which is mad, looks really decadent.
    There wasn't much interaction between the british and the german scene of the late eighties, they followed differet routes. And exactly the point that germany had its own techno thing going on was very important for that, I think. They weren't as dependant on import records as the british. As far as I've heard, house and acid first made a really big impact in germany through new beat, which makes sense because there was a good deal of EBM in that style as well, so it would fit much smoother with what they were playing in their clubs allready. There were exceptions too, of course. Someone like Westbam had a kind of hip house style on his early records. But yeah, it would be wonderful if there was someone who had written a well researched book about it. Wish I could see that movie, but my computer is too slow.

You think all those people wouldn't have continued to make music if they hadn't been introduced to detroit techno?!"
    That wasn't the original statement and how can anyone answer that, it happened and it didn't happen in a bubble, just like Detriot techno.

Actually, I once asked a guy involved in the early germanic rave scene (the part taking place in denmark, but still the same music involved) about if they were aware of any detroit stuff at all, and he mentioned Inner City as the onle thing they had ever heard about. And then said, "but that was because it was just chart pop, something you heard at disco clubs, not what we would consider techno at all!"
    But that's like I know a bloke down the pub, it doesn't work like that.

That wasn't the original statement and how can anyone answer that, it happened and it didn't happen in a bubble, just like Detriot techno.
    The original statement was that there would still be some kind of scene around these places in berlin and the same people. Well, of course we'll never know, but why on earth not? I never said it happened in a bubble.

But that's like I know a bloke down the pub, it doesn't work like that.
    It was an anecdote, meant to illustrate that of course people knew Inner City, they had big hits. But were they influenced by them? Did they think of it as "techno"? People familiar with the "new dance sound of detroit"-compilation might, but otherwise there's not much reason to do so. It certainly sound like chart pop to me.

Wow, lots of tune suggestions, thanks all. Slowly working through them, what I've heard so far has been all good . To people who are talking about it in relation to the free-party/squat-rave scene - well yes, that is what, as someone who doesn't know much about this style of music, I associated it with initially in my head. Tunes like London Acid City (by Loki? Not sure, but it's a cracker anyway). But it's been a nice surprise to learn that acid techno as a scene and style seems to extend beyond this.