Acid tekno

DJ PIMP

yeah, the EBM thing still crops up every so often in euro house/techno. i quite like that tangent myself when it's done right, it's so ultimately white.

e.g. thinking of stuff like the franz & shape mix of autobody by perspects.

sorry bout the motion i hope you didn't mind
the body is in motion at the mercy of a mind
autobody that surrounds you
autobody that surrounds you
the body that defines you
is the body that designs you

--

or the hacker, some of his tracks like life/death have a bit of EBM to them...

DJ PIMP

went and played catch-up with lieb a couple of years back and was quite surprised, all the stuff he was doing at that point was crunchy as anything. not a lot about it that was "nice" at all.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
went and played catch-up with lieb a couple of years back and was quite surprised, all the stuff he was doing at that point was crunchy as anything. not a lot about it that was "nice" at all.
Not much of it was ever really "nice" though, and that's probably what those guys making the rough guide had a problem with. His early records were so hyperactive and crazy and full of ideas and melodies and mad rhythms and whoosy cosmic noises. Sci fi stuff in a really pulpy way. That's what I love about it. The Spy vs. Spice album is probably my favorite, though. Strange strange stuff.

mms

sometimes
this is a really interesting thread.
some thoughts:
got to mention belgium as well, that place and some of the records were really important in setting the scene for hardcore, alot of those records were really 'hard' before hardcore came about and sonically filtered into hardcore. R and s - originally an 80's new beat label was a hub as well, tracks like dominator were massive with the hardcore kids, also beltram. Mover's obvious big influence was 'art of stalking' by suburban knight - really obviously, and he was a frankfurt kid out on r and s.
also there was the detroit/chicago crossover in eindhoven holland with labels like djax who released hard acid alongside chicago and detroit stuff, and eevolute too which crossed over with detroit and all.
then gabber was rotterdam which seemed to be creating its own hardcore continuum and has several things going on even today, a big drum and bass scene and the clone records crew.

Last edited:

DJ PIMP

Not much of it was ever really "nice" though, and that's probably what those guys making the rough guide had a problem with. His early records were so hyperactive and crazy and full of ideas and melodies and mad rhythms and whoosy cosmic noises. Sci fi stuff in a really pulpy way.

i guess when i think of lieb i more think of those anthemic numbers he did, paragliders etc.

thoiugh my fave thing from that period was the album he did as The Ambush. i bet that would sound pretty funny about now... in a good way, hopefully.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Something like the rough guide to techno is a prime example, filled to the brink with every minor detroit producer they can find - or minor detroit techno producers from all of the world for that matter - while not even mentioning people like Marc Acardipane or Martin Damm or Like A Tim. It's also the book that gave me the impression that Oliver Lieb is generally not respected, they see him as some kind of cheap and cheesy frankfurt trance merchant, but maybe its just them? I certainly hope so, he have made so much great and unique stuff.

Ah. Well I've never read Rough Guide to Techno. As far as Lieb I feel like he maybe gets a raw deal b/c people lump him in with Sven Väth (who deserves a ton of respect but who actually was/is also a cheesy Frankfurt trance merchant) and a lot of that Harthouse stuff which perhaps hasn't aged as well - Hardloor, for example. I dunno though like I said I think he's like the token trance producer that a lot of people who hate trance respect. "Unique" is an apt description, too. I don't think anything sounds quite like Spicelab.

Another interesting German thing, for me, is the weird jungle/pre-breakcore scene. Of course its mainly Alec Empire & DHR but Acardipane and Miro Pajic both put out a bunch of good jungle records on a PCP sublabel. Some of that Cologne acid stuff is pretty breakbeat heavy too. I dunno, I just like the whole vibe, the choppage/rudebwoy of classic UK jungle (my favorite ever music) infused with acid in a way the Brits never really did.

DJ PIMP

Another interesting German thing, for me, is the weird jungle/pre-breakcore scene. Of course its mainly Alec Empire & DHR but Acardipane and Miro Pajic both put out a bunch of good jungle records on a PCP sublabel. Some of that Cologne acid stuff is pretty breakbeat heavy too. I dunno, I just like the whole vibe, the choppage/rudebwoy of classic UK jungle (my favorite ever music) infused with acid in a way the Brits never really did.
PCP sublabel = White Breaks? I had one of those...

Agreed anyhow, the German stuff was more bitey than the stuff, for example, Remarc did with 303 sounds on tracks like Mayhem... well, kind of.

padraig (u.s.)

PCP sublabel = White Breaks? I had one of those...

Agreed anyhow, the German stuff was more bitey than the stuff, for example, Remarc did with 303 sounds on tracks like Mayhem... well, kind of.

Yeah, White Breaks. And don't get wrong, though I like a lot of the German stuff I still rate classic UK jungle over pretty much any other music, ever. I just think that the DHR/White Breaks/Riot Beats output is an interesting non-UK take on it, fusing it with this other separate lineage of EBM-New Beat-Acid, a kind of forgotten subplot of jungle. Plus it makes sense it mention it in a thread on acid techno.

DJ PIMP

Yeah, White Breaks. And don't get wrong, though I like a lot of the German stuff I still rate classic UK jungle over pretty much any other music, ever. I just think that the DHR/White Breaks/Riot Beats output is an interesting non-UK take on it, fusing it with this other separate lineage of EBM-New Beat-Acid, a kind of forgotten subplot of jungle. Plus it makes sense it mention it in a thread on acid techno.
i thought at the time that there was a lot more that could have been done with jungle acid tekno... ah well.

Chris

fractured oscillations
damn damn damn

this thread's really mapping out a lot of pathways that I've been interested in exploring and sorting out. thanks all.

padraig (u.s.)

i thought at the time that there was a lot more that could have been done with jungle acid tekno... ah well.

I'm sure you're familiar with Basement Records. Pretty much the dons of that vibe. Kev Bird, DJ Mayhem ("Cold Acid"), early Wax Doctor, Jack Smooth, etc. Plus a lot of that early Aphex stuff (Analogue Bubblebath 2/Didgeridoo, Xylem Tube) is, in addition to still sounding absolutely bizarre and unique nearly 20 yrs later, jungle acid tekno biznizz before the fact IMO. And for laffs that one hella random Hyper-On-E jungle/trance track.

Also Spiral Tribe - "Forward the Revolution".

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
Martin Damm totally belongs here too, he made a ton of incredible breakbeat-meets-acid records:

http://www.discogs.com/Biochip-C-Hells-Bells-EP/release/24144
http://www.discogs.com/Alec-Empire-Biochip-C-Das-Duell/release/19324
www.discogs.com/Biochip-C-Biochip-C-EP/release/25214
http://www.discogs.com/Biobreaks-Tenebre/release/209655
http://www.discogs.com/Phase-IV-Phase-IV/release/38342
http://www.discogs.com/Phase-IV-Torture-Rhythm-EP/release/35806
http://www.discogs.com/Headhunter-Modular-Breaks/release/21875
http://www.discogs.com/Headware-Outburst-EP/release/20489
http://www.discogs.com/Headware-Force-Fields-Vol1/release/258018
http://www.discogs.com/Psychic-Parasite-100-Piano-Free-EP/release/24346

mms

sometimes

yep well riot beats must have been the first breakcore label really, mine got nicked by a frenchman, it's alex doing anarchic chatting which takes from dancehalls gruff nihilism innit, also arcadapane did a wicked record under the name 'the possessed' which is pretty grim breakbeat hardcore, that i really like, and leant to someone and need to get off them very soon too...

mms

sometimes
also what happened in italy with techno etc, there is only the sound of rome stuff to talk of really, i think, ie acv records who had robert armani on incidentally, then leo annibaldi, then you had lory d, d'arcangelo etc, all those heads who came to uk to do silverfish records. there didn't seem to be much really going on rave wise apart from italian house that kinda built on italo and pop, i'm not fully clued up on this, these are guesses so if anyone can totally destroy my notion please do...

padraig (u.s.)

Martin Damm totally belongs here too, he made a ton of incredible breakbeat-meets-acid records:

Yeh. Not quite as junglistic as Empire/White Breaks but still clearly jungle/ardkore influenced acid. Plus just respect to Martin Damm anyway.

FUCK OFF. :)
Hardfloor RULE.
And I still love Liberator acid techno too. Things like system test are devastating.

oh but Mr. Meme what about this:p?

The whole Liberator thing seems like such a live experience that you miss a lot of the vibe if you're just listening to a record. But I dunno, that's just my impression.

yep well riot beats must have been the first breakcore label really, mine got nicked by a frenchman, it's alex doing anarchic chatting which takes from dancehalls gruff nihilism innit, also arcadapane did a wicked record under the name 'the possessed' which is pretty grim breakbeat hardcore, that i really like, and leant to someone and need to get off them very soon too...

Yeh that and DHR which got started around the same time I think. It's interesting the roots of breakcore, which I reckon to be on the one hand with those Germans and the other hand with the original junglists who pushed the Amen rinsing to the absolute limits of technology back then - mainly Remarc, maybe like Bizzy B as well, also for the less yardcore more abstract breakcore stuff maybe like jungle-not-jungle (Plug, AFX, etc.) and the Photek school of insanely precise & complicated drum programming. Plus, esp. w/the Dutch & German stuff (like Bong-Ra and that) a gabba influence. The North Americans seem to be more on a straight up ragga ting.

padraig (u.s.)

also what happened in italy with techno etc, there is only the sound of rome stuff to talk of really, i think, ie acv records who had robert armani on incidentally, then leo annibaldi, then you had lory d, d'arcangelo etc, all those heads who came to uk to do silverfish records. there didn't seem to be much really going on rave wise apart from italian house that kinda built on italo and pop, i'm not fully clued up on this, these are guesses so if anyone can totally destroy my notion please do...

Did you know Lory D has been releasing (or perhaps rereleasing oldl material I'm not really clear) stuff on Wireblock i.e. the label of Rustie, Hudson Mohawke, etc.? No idea how that came about but it's mildly fascinating nonetheless.

Also yeah that old Italian acid business kills it. It's kinda strange that they have all this piano house and then out of nowhere, nasty acid. Well they did have some goa trance - well really just Pleiadians/Etnica and I know f*ck all about goa so perhaps there was like an Italian goa scene? No idea, really. I also wonder if you looked hard enough if you'd find links between old Italo producers and those 90s acid guys.

mms

sometimes
Did you know Lory D has been releasing (or perhaps rereleasing oldl material I'm not really clear) stuff on Wireblock i.e. the label of Rustie, Hudson Mohawke, etc.? No idea how that came about but it's mildly fascinating nonetheless.

Also yeah that old Italian acid business kills it. It's kinda strange that they have all this piano house and then out of nowhere, nasty acid. Well they did have some goa trance - well really just Pleiadians/Etnica and I know f*ck all about goa so perhaps there was like an Italian goa scene? No idea, really. I also wonder if you looked hard enough if you'd find links between old Italo producers and those 90s acid guys.

yeah its dark minimalist stuff, all new, a bit like leo's new stuff. It's almost not the influence of electronic music but more the influence of italian horror etc thats more in play there.