Acid tekno

philblackpool

gamelanstep
I've been revisiting the harder end of the acid world recently (I think sometimes called acidcore?!). I particularly like Drop Bass Network & Dave Clarke's Magnetic North label for crunchy, lashing stuff...much heftier than the London 'acid tekno' stuff, which I find a bit turgid on the whole (although it has its moments of course). Frankie Bones' brother Adam X's acid stuff is a bit forgotten now, maybe because it's lost in his back catalogue a bit...he did some for Direct Drive, Drop Bass etc. Unfortunately, most of this stuff was too expensive on import for me at the time & is now harshly expensive on Discogs. Theres a lot of acidy stuff from the Spiral Tribe camp but I've been revisiting some of that & its not as wigged-out really...

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Theres a lot of acidy stuff from the Spiral Tribe camp but I've been revisiting some of that & its not as wigged-out really...

dude you're kidding right. that stuff is the most wigged out if anything. admittedly it's more on that super super fast (like Jeff Mills on speed), ultra hard & pounding free tekno kind of wigged out than, say, Mike Ink-style dribbling acid madness. all that crazy 200+ bpm metallic free tekno. like that guy Curley, early Bunker Records, even stuff like Patric Catani. all those extremely harsh & uncompromising strands of continental techno.

SP 23 - Digital Acid
Crystal Distortion - Acid
R-Zac - Junk Yard On Ice

I guess most of that stuff came after they decamped to Europe but tbh their earlier glory days of rave stuff is pretty mental too, if not very acid.

philblackpool

gamelanstep
I'm definitely into recommendations on tracks (I loved "Breach the Peace" etc), but I prefer the "dribbling" stuff :p I think acid for me is at its best when its going for the "Acid Tracks" chaotic psychedelia rather than the wiggling-slightly-building thing...

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
ULTIMA HYPER DRUGS:

01 - Marbles - Freddie Fresh (Pulsar Recordings 004)
02 - Electrolytes - Nitrate (Labworks Germany 57)
03 - Untitled - Mike Henk (Pulsar Recordings 003)
04 - Untitled - Laura Grabb (Pulsar Recordings 006)
05 - Untitled - Holy Killers (Kill Out Recordings 04)
06 - Nasel - Freddie Fresh (Pulsar Recordings 004)
07 - Cactus Jack - Triple R (Disko B 21)
08 - Daybreak - Mike Henk (Pulsar Recordings 004)
09 - Untitled - Holy Killers (Kill Out Recordings 04)
10 - The Stone Pony - P909 (Sonic Records 2036)
11 - Kybliax 303 - Cellblock X (Nine 005)
12 - Fuck The Label (A Side) - SP 23 (Network Repress 09)
13 - Acetones - Nitrate (Labworks Germany 57)
14 - Untitled - Holy Killers (Kill Out Recordings 09)
15 - Kept That One Quiet, Didn't I ? - Spiral Tribe (Network Repress 11)
16 - Nitration - Nitrate (Labworks Germany 57)
17 - Simille - Boggï (Perce~Oreille 01)
18 - Untitled - Holy Killers (Kill Out Recordings 09)
19 - Untitled - Holy Killers (Kill Out Recordings 04)
20 - Untitled - Holy Killers (Kill Out Recordings 09)
21 - Defective - Choose (Pulsar Recordings 005)
22 - B.L.A.M. - Freddie Fresh (Drop Bass Network 014)
23 - Untitled - Joey Jupiter (Pulsar Recordings 007)
24 - Quadrapulex - Freddie Fresh (Drop Bass Network 014)
25 - Boom Shanka - R-Zac (Berlin 93)
26 - Night Mission - Koenig Cylinders (IST Records 006)
27 - Subroutine - Laura Grabb (IST Records 012)
28 - Hämorrhoiden - Members Of Overdrive (Overdrive 026-12)
29 - Jihad: Nightbreed vs. CenobitesBiochip C. (Mono Tone 23)

http://www.zshare.net/audio/540881811e64414e/

Anyone still got this? some classic euro and US hardcore acid.

Last edited:

Leo

I've been revisiting the harder end of the acid world recently (I think sometimes called acidcore?!). I particularly like Drop Bass Network...

went thru a hard acid phase back in the mid 90s, still have a dozen drop bass network 12"s. great label aesthetic, reminded me of a punk version of electronic dance music: raw, homemade, low-budget sounding stuff from a bunch of burnout acid heads based in either the wilds of the rural midwest or unglamorous/relatively bleak inner-city Milwaukee. DIY, both in output and the local and later regional raves they'd throw.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
they don't do those sorta parties in uk its crusty liberator acid which is shit, just sounds like a linear trance thing as opposed to hardcore. of course the harder sounds have been around in techno for a quite a while now. still sounds a bit self-conscious tho.

Leo

drop bass used to hold their "further" raves in the 90s. after many years, they revived it a couple of years ago, same crew (Kurt Eckes), one annual four-day outdoor campout/party, now called "even further": http://dropbass.net/events/even-furthur-2018/. they even had an old raver ticket discount!

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
there was a guy called neurp or something like that who did a series of cologne acid mixes. highly worth tracking down.

Leo

I remember the liquid sky cologne acid scene from the 90s, structure records, DJungle Fever, etc.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
but really if you're unemployed or whatever i would not recommend spending two years blowing your brains out with this stuff.

Leo

used to buy records at temple records in nyc, in the basement of the liquid sky store. khan, db and the guy who ran disko-b records used to work there and always playing all this cologne acid in store (before it evolved into a jungle/d'n b store, then back to house and techno before closing). that's the only reason I know about this stuff.

used to buy the drop bass 12"s at sonic groove, Frankie bones/heather heart/Adam x behind the counter blasting that shit over the sound system. good times!

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
I did an acid mix a few weeks back with a bunch of deeply encrusted old tunes, mostly US and Euro stuff, not so much UK free party acid (although I do like that stuff, contra some of you guys!)

<iframe width="100%" height="300" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" allow="autoplay" src=""></iframe>

01. Winx - How's The Music (Sorted)
02. HMC - Wave (Juice)
03. X-Press 2 - Rock 2 House (Plastikman's Acid House Remix) (Junior Boy's Own)
04. Laurent Garnier - The Force (F Communications)
05. Circuit Breaker - Friend (Probe)
06. Size 9 - I'm Ready (DJ Misjah Remix) (V2)
07. D.A.V.E. The Drummer - Shudder & Twitch (Boscaland)
08. DJ Skull - Acid Sattlight (Djax-Up-Beats)
09. Mike Dearborn - 03:45 AM (Djax-Up-Beats)
10. Winx - You Are The One (ZYX)
11. Phil Zero - White Lines (Chris Liberator Remix) (Smitten)
12. Hardfloor - Into The Nature (Harthouse)
13. Acrid Abeyance - Dynamique Twins (Remix) (Important)
14. DJ Misjah & Groovehead - Trippin' Out (X-Trax)
15. Defcon 1 - Chromatium (Nitric)
16. Trax-X - Mindwarp (Re-Load)
17. Lawrie Immersion & Dirtbag - Acid Techno (Routemaster)
18. The Subjects vs Jeff Mills - Beyond (Underground Level)
19. The Advent - The Living (Internal)
20. Chris Liberator - All Systems Go (TeC)
21. Dogs On Rope - Buzz Saw (Organgrinder)