Acid tekno

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Any recommendations? I suspect this might be the sort of thing I would like, but I have been known to be wrong about these things.
Also - it is kind of the standard to spell it with a k, right? I'm not just looking like a poseur?

DJ PIMP

Levon Vincent is one of my fave new acidists:

Air Raid
The flip is even better... track called Love Technique. He's also done an amazing remix of a track by Jori Hulkonnen and a sweet rework of Looking For A New Love by Jody Watley.

ERP remix of The Life We Choose by Hardfloor (deep!):

Some oldies:

Armando - Land of Confusion

Tyree - Acid Over

Suburban Knight - Art of Stalking

--

I'm acid for 2009... time to get back into something raw and real.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Cheers folks.
Pimp - checking those vids as I type, sounds good - already familiar with the Suburban Knight track actually, it's a bit of a cracker. Nowadays I can't help but associate the name Tyree with that episode of Chapelle's Show. :eek:
Ory - Oh right, ta, thanks for the terminological clarification. Would have to say though, mindless and loopy is often the sort of thing that can appeal to me, so won't write off Liberator and his ilk just yet. Will look up those links in a bit.

DJ PIMP

A few more...

One of my fave bits of pretty sounding techno from last year, the Rocco Vision mix of Dust by Agoria. More of a sunrise type tune...

Marc Romboy & Blake Baxter - Freakin'

Felix & Diddy - I'll Jack U - MSTRKRFT remix

Paul Woolford - Erotic Discourse

No 303 type sounds in the last two... but they fit within my definition of acid at least. The dynamics in the Jack U mix are really great - the way he employs classic technique like simply morphing the sound of the kick, and cuts from the rolling groove to the screamy or drumroll bits. Also I LOVE Diddy's vocal at the intro. Erotic Discourse, bit of a classic, you're not going to find a track more simple and trippy than that.

UR - The Final Frontier

Amazing tone in that one...

doom

Public Housing
Felix & Diddy - I'll Jack U - MSTRKRFT remix

Intro is ace!!! Not suttin I would play, vocal is WAY to loud (& not pitch shifted!) but when the reverbed kicks drop in = very cool!

I like the alternate take on acid sounds in that one & the 'Erotic Discource' as well, the latter using AM/FM rather than filter sweeps is sick! I've managed to make a few 'acidy filtery' sounds by cross modding 3 VCOs in the past, where twisting the tune knob on one the oscillators has the same overall effect of sweeping filters, good fun!

Chris

fractured oscillations
a question..

I remember once reading something about Germany having their own style of electronic dance music called 'Tekno', with the "k", that existed before or during the first wave of Detroit Techno, but was it's own unrelated thing (maybe more of an industrial thing or something)...

Is there any truth to this?... and if so, is there anything recalling it (and maybe include some of the stuff on this thread)?

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
a question..

I remember once reading something about Germany having their own style of electronic dance music called 'Tekno', with the "k", that existed before or during the first wave of Detroit Techno, but was it's own unrelated thing (maybe more of an industrial thing or something)...

Is there any truth to this?... and if so, is there anything recalling it (and maybe include some of the stuff on this thread)?
Well, it's right except for the thing about the "k"-spelling. Some of the artist indeed did spell it with a k, but "techno" was the more common name for it. Maybe you read about it in Dan Sickos "Techno Rebels" book? My guess is that Sicko didn't really know how to deal with the fact that techno actually wasn't the isolated detroit creation he thought is was, and therefore he stresses the k thing as a way to make it something differet. (And of course it's differet from detroit techno, but the global techno development of the early nineties owned at the very least as much to the german roots as it did to detroit)

It was a kind of umbrella term for a mix of ebm, synth pop and electro, probably with some italo disco thrown in too, and acid/house and new beat when that arriwed. It was centered around a club called "Techno Club" in Frankfurt, established in 1984. In the last years of the eighties and the first of the nineties there was a massive german techno wave, with countless singles and compilation albums, and it was built on the ebm/electro/new beat lineage, and not on detroit at all. Like much of the belgian stuff to, actually.

Anyway, to stay remotely on topic, some of the artist making early nineties german techno tracks eventually began making a lot of acid later, such as Ingmar Koch (aka Walker of Air Liquide fame), Martin Damm (Biochip C) and Mike Ink.

Chris

fractured oscillations
Maybe you read about it in Dan Sickos "Techno Rebels" book? My guess is that Sicko didn't really know how to deal with the fact that techno actually wasn't the isolated detroit creation he thought is was, and therefore he stresses the k thing as a way to make it something differet.

that was it... ok. Yeah, read that book years ago, but this explains why I couldn't find any more info on German "tekno". Thanks, I've been wondering about that elusive scene for years.

That's interesting that what you're describing as the influential makeup of that early scene at times continued to define a lot of elements in German techno, I guess giving them a good way to make an excuse that this wasn't just a Detroit-based thing, but their roots as well (or at least their own personal combination of influences, which, coincidentally, were pretty identical to Detroit's minus the funk).

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
That's interesting that what you're describing as the influential makeup of that early scene at times continued to define a lot of elements in German techno, I guess giving them a good way to make an excuse that this wasn't just a Detroit-based thing, but their roots as well (or at least their own personal combination of influences, which, coincidentally, were pretty identical to Detroit's minus the funk).
Yeah, a lot of the same stuff went into both scenes. The main difference is the role house played I think. Detroit was so close to chicago that they were almost part of that scene. Actually, until they decided to set themself apart in 1987, you could argue that they basically were part of that scene - and even now, listening to the first detroit compilation, most of it sounds like house, sometimes abstract house (like derrick may) but still clearly recogniseable as house. It's only because we've been told to think of it as something different that it seems so.

If anything, the germans really should be much more aware of their roots than they are. If there had never been detroit techno and only acid/house/new beat, the german techno scene would have happened pretty much the same way, but like everybody else they've become trapped by the rewriting of history that have been going on ever since detroit startet to be seen as the tasteful, authentic and proper alternative to mindless popular rave music.

DJ PIMP

Raw straight-up club shit, Abe Duque & Blake Baxter - Acid:

This is my jam! Acid has to be one of the most enduring traditions in techno. Never quite goes away - always bubbling along somewhere.

I fucking love it.

lissajou

ULTIMA HYPER DRUGS:

01 - Marbles - Freddie Fresh (Pulsar Recordings 004)
02 - Electrolytes - Nitrate (Labworks Germany 57)
03 - Untitled - Mike Henk (Pulsar Recordings 003)
04 - Untitled - Laura Grabb (Pulsar Recordings 006)
05 - Untitled - Holy Killers (Kill Out Recordings 04)
06 - Nasel - Freddie Fresh (Pulsar Recordings 004)
07 - Cactus Jack - Triple R (Disko B 21)
08 - Daybreak - Mike Henk (Pulsar Recordings 004)
09 - Untitled - Holy Killers (Kill Out Recordings 04)
10 - The Stone Pony - P909 (Sonic Records 2036)
11 - Kybliax 303 - Cellblock X (Nine 005)
12 - Fuck The Label (A Side) - SP 23 (Network Repress 09)
13 - Acetones - Nitrate (Labworks Germany 57)
14 - Untitled - Holy Killers (Kill Out Recordings 09)
15 - Kept That One Quiet, Didn't I ? - Spiral Tribe (Network Repress 11)
16 - Nitration - Nitrate (Labworks Germany 57)
17 - Simille - Boggï (Perce~Oreille 01)
18 - Untitled - Holy Killers (Kill Out Recordings 09)
19 - Untitled - Holy Killers (Kill Out Recordings 04)
20 - Untitled - Holy Killers (Kill Out Recordings 09)
21 - Defective - Choose (Pulsar Recordings 005)
22 - B.L.A.M. - Freddie Fresh (Drop Bass Network 014)
23 - Untitled - Joey Jupiter (Pulsar Recordings 007)
24 - Quadrapulex - Freddie Fresh (Drop Bass Network 014)
25 - Boom Shanka - R-Zac (Berlin 93)
26 - Night Mission - Koenig Cylinders (IST Records 006)
27 - Subroutine - Laura Grabb (IST Records 012)
28 - Hämorrhoiden - Members Of Overdrive (Overdrive 026-12)
29 - Jihad: Nightbreed vs. CenobitesBiochip C. (Mono Tone 23)

http://www.zshare.net/audio/540881811e64414e/

Ory

warp drive
now if we're talking dark acid house, surely this is the king:

gutted I missed the bootleg repress a couple of years back.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Yeah, a lot of the same stuff went into both scenes. The main difference is the role house played I think. Detroit was so close to chicago that they were almost part of that scene. Actually, until they decided to set themself apart in 1987, you could argue that they basically were part of that scene - and even now, listening to the first detroit compilation, most of it sounds like house, sometimes abstract house (like derrick may) but still clearly recogniseable as house. It's only because we've been told to think of it as something different that it seems so.

If anything, the germans really should be much more aware of their roots than they are. If there had never been detroit techno and only acid/house/new beat, the german techno scene would have happened pretty much the same way, but like everybody else they've become trapped by the rewriting of history that have been going on ever since detroit startet to be seen as the tasteful, authentic and proper alternative to mindless popular rave music.

Oh come on. With all due respect to the German techno pioneers (all the guys you mentioned + Torsten Fenslau, Oliver Lieb, the Voight brothers, Thomas Fehlmann, Ernestus/Von Oswald, etc.) and to all the kraut/avant/early electronic guys who came before them, that's just not true. As I suspect most of those German techno pioneers would be the first to admit. This, for example. Not to say that Detroit was the sole birthplace or that it produces the only true/pure/etc. techno, rather that Detroit & Germany were heavily influential on one another. And still are - just look at Moodymann/Parrish/Omar-S etc. and the recent surge of Euro deep house.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
re: Acid Techno

labels - Drop Bass Network, Missile Records, DJ.Ungle Fever, Direct Drive, Djax-Up-Beats

producers - 100% Acidiferous/303 Nation, Acid Junkies (Stefan Robbers on DJAX), Italians like Lory D or Leo Anibaldi, Acid Scout, Emmanuel Top, all the aforementioned Germans (Biochip C, Jammin Unit & Walker), DJ Hyperactive, some early Mike Ink records

I associate "tekno" w/the free party/travelling scene, anonymous (and not in a Basic Channel/Burial anti-identity way, but truly anonymous) music meant to bang away for hours while people do a lot of drugs. The epitomy of tracks over tunes, so to speak. Nought wrong with that of course;)

There's also a lot of stuff which I wouldn't call "acid techno" (or tekno) but which heavily incorporates acid. The Martian, for example. Some hardcore as well but I don't really know enough about hardcore to point out anything specific.

Also, this;
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Surely an acid tekno classic if there ever was one.

Benny Bunter

immediately thought of this...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

...how cool is that vinyl?